Float Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

I'm thinking of buying a float rod,
what length would you recommend 12' 13' or doesn't it really matter.
I haven't done float fishing for years so i'm not sure.

Edited by - Darren on 22 August 2002 3:07:38 PM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
There are several things to consider. What is the average depth you are likely to fish. It gets difficult casting if the depth is near the length of the rod. A longer rod will respond to the strike slightly faster and would mend line better if on a river.

To me a 12ft rod is ok but would lend itself more to canals and small pools. No doubt others will put foreward their ideas. To help us all itwould be a good idea to state where and what you intend to use this rod.

chill out go fishing

Darren

quote:
To help us all itwould be a good idea to state where and what you intend to use this rod.

I Live in sherwood so i was mostly going to fish the bestwood ponds for all species apart from carp fishing.
IE Tench, bream, roach.

Edited by - Darren on 22 August 2002 4:37:08 PM

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Darren

I would go for a 13' 'waggler' rod - ie a rod without a spliced tip, so you've got sufficient power to handle the tench.

As regards the type of rod it all depends how much money you've got to spend - both Shakespeare and Daiwa do some excellent waggler rods for around the 60 mark. (I think there was one reveiwed in this weeks AT)
If you've got a bit more money to spend, check out the Drennan DRX range, I've got one of their 'Power Waggler' rods and for fish up to four or five pounds they're ideal.
The only real way to make a decision is to try plenty of different models - I can't really explain it but sometimes when you pick up a new rod it just feels 'right'.

Tight Lines

Simon

Darren

Thanks for the help and advice guys ;)
I didn't want to spend that much really, is there anything a tad cheaper,
maybe in the 30-40 region.

darryl

darren used tackle has got milo avon rods 12ft at 39 or they also carry a range of rods cheep that would do the job for any of waters notts aa have got

Edited by - darryl on 22 August 2002 7:58:11 PM

Darren

quote:
darren used tackle has got milo avon rods 12ft at 39 or they also carry a range of rods cheep that would do the job for any of waters notts aa have got

where is used tackle shop or do they have a website?

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Used Tackle 28 Baker St Hucknall Nottingham NG15 7AS Tel 01159631683 As far as the milo avons are concerned with this description it means most likely that they are intended first and foremost for legering. there is a 12ft rod on offer at 19.99 with a free reel it statesits a carp match rod though. I suggest that if yopur local to them give them a ring.
Both myself and ziptrev have dealt with them and they are a decent firm to deal with.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Darren,

Also take a look at the Daiwa Sensor Z float rod.
For a 'budget' rod it has received some great reviews

Dave

darryl

darren the milo rods have two tips one for float and one for legering they have one shop at hucknal and one shop at bulwell

matt

hi darren, another good idea is to scan through the classified ads in the monthly match fishing magazines. many retailers offer last seasons model at low cost prices. it is posible to pick up float rods which retail at around 70 - 80 quid for 30 quid! the best thing to do is spend a bit of time bargain hunting! icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

Ted Sanchez

quote:Originally posted by Darren

quote:
To help us all itwould be a good idea to state where and what you intend to use this rod.

I Live in sherwood so i was mostly going to fish the bestwood ponds for all species apart from carp fishing.
IE Tench, bream, roach.

Edited by - Darren on 22 August 2002 4:37:08 PM

Ted Sanchez

Good luck with the rod, I have just started fishing again after many years and I am well and truly hooked again! I have bought a couple of good second hand rods from ads in the AT one was a Drennan tench float rod in superb condition fo 50 a bit above the price range your at.
I used to teach at the school next to the Bestwood lakes, Big Wood School but the less about that the better!!
Tight lines!
Cheers

fishing_mad

TRY THE DIAWA SENSOR Z MATCH ROD LOOK AT IT ON WWW.BOSFISH.CO.UK ITS A GOOD ROD AT A GOOD PRICE

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Preston Innovations 14ft float rod for me covers everything and what a tool

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Smaggot

I was going to ask the same question as Darren. Till I found this artical,[:D] I was lucky, my mates got the Diawa Z match rod and yes its a good rod, went to Bennits site and they looking for 41.99 value, Im going to go for that one.

I keep saying it, cracking site guys, and well done because the only thing that keeps a site as good as this are the people who use it.

Cheers Smaggot[8D]

Last edited:

angler-mark

I picked up a 14ft Map Waggler rod 6 months ago and have to say it's brilliant for trotting the Trent or fishing any lakes. I've landed some big fish Carp/Tench/Barbel/Chub/Perch/Bream, and never had a problem. It cost me 39-00p from Nathan's of Derby. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.