Float rod suggestions

PWillan

Hi,

I've not been fishing properly for many years and I'm totally out of touch on what products are out there so I'm after a bit of advice please.

When I was float fishing for silvers I had two rods I used; one was a telescopic spinning rod by Shimano that I used to use at college when freelining a red pop-up down the river Wreake for Chub at the start of the season. The other is a custom made rod by Bob Gill for trotting for barbel.

One had a lovely light action to it, while the other had a normal length for casting further but felt slow when slow when striking at silver fish.

So I'm after something which fits both purposes and I'm willing to spend more that I would have done to buy something that is high quality and will last.

I've found two rods I like;

MAP PARABOLIX 13FT LIGHT FLOAT 13FT
DRENNAN ACOLYTE ULTRA FLOAT ROD 13FT

There doesn't seem to be many reviews for the MAP rod but I have found some for the Drennan, which were good.

Having been out of the hobby for a while, I'm wonder if anyone would offer some advice on the ones above or suggest any others?

Thanks in advance
Phil

Jonny w

Hi,

I've not been fishing properly for many years and I'm totally out of touch on what products are out there so I'm after a bit of advice please.

When I was float fishing for silvers I had two rods I used; one was a telescopic spinning rod by Shimano that I used to use at college when freelining a red pop-up down the river Wreake for Chub at the start of the season. The other is a custom made rod by Bob Gill for trotting for barbel.

One had a lovely light action to it, while the other had a normal length for casting further but felt slow when slow when striking at silver fish.

So I'm after something which fits both purposes and I'm willing to spend more that I would have done to buy something that is high quality and will last.

I've found two rods I like;

MAP PARABOLIX 13FT LIGHT FLOAT 13FT
DRENNAN ACOLYTE ULTRA FLOAT ROD 13FT

There doesn't seem to be many reviews for the MAP rod but I have found some for the Drennan, which were good.

Having been out of the hobby for a while, I'm wonder if anyone would offer some advice on the ones above or suggest any others?

Thanks in advance
Phil
dont no much about the map parabolix, I have the acolyte 13ft acolyte but in the plus version and it good, all the acolyte’s receive rave reviews on here so the ultra will be good also I would have thought, not to sure about other suggestions but the acolyte is definitely one of the best rods in its price range that’s for sure.

PWillan

dont no much about the map parabolix, I have the acolyte 13ft acolyte but in the plus version and it good, all the acolyte’s receive rave reviews on here so the ultra will be good also I would have thought, not to sure about other suggestions but the acolyte is definitely one of the best rods in its price range that’s for sure.
Thanks Johnny, do you know what the difference between the Ultra and Plus?

PWillan

Thanks Johnny, do you know what the difference between the Ultra and Plus?
Just saw on their website, it's a bit beefier to handle the bonus larger fish as well, which is what I'm after, just incase. How do small silvers feel on it? It's not too beefy so that you can't feel the play with smaller fish?

david white

Site Supporter
As an all round 13 ft float rod you’d be hard pressed to beat the Cadence 13 ft #2 at its price, I’ve used mine with 1lb bottoms for roach and dace both stick and waggler float fishing and with 5lb bottom for tench and chub ( I don’t intentionally target carp but I’d say the rod would comfortably handle them up to double figures, likely bigger, but if they were to be your intended quarry then the #3 rod would be a better choice )

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you wanted an out any silvers rod then you wouldnt get better for the money than the acolyte ultra, I love the two I have just seem like perfect silvers rods to me! But they are definitely not much of an allrounder. Best fish fish under about 4lb gets a bit lively on them beyond that!

If you wanted more of an allrounder then there is the Cadence CR10#1 which I also have as my allrounder. But tbh if you have acolyte money to spend I’d be more inclined to look at something like an acolyte plus, maver signature pro or garbolino essential.

You’re pushing your luck to cover silvers right up to barbel with one rod though tbh.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
whatever rod you end up purchasing, it will most likely be a huge step up from your previous tools.
float fishing rods cover a continuous spectrum from super light to very stepped up ... and there will be both through actioned and tip actioned rods available in each class. However, the huge majority of modern rods are quite a nice ”progressive” action that initially appears quite tip actioned, but progressively bends more further down the blank ... kinda like the best of both worlds!
most tackle shops will only have a modest selection of rods to choose from anyway.

returning to the “power” of the rods (and remembering that it’s a spectrum really), you can broadly classify rods in to:
#0 super light ... there are no current rods of this type ... in fact haven’t been for 20 years as poles have taken over
#1 light ... this is where the Acolyte ultra sits
#2 standard ... this is where the acolyte plus sits (i use my standard float rods for chub and barbel up to 6 pounds or so)
#3 stepped up ... (rods often labelled power or carp) something like a (now discontinued) shakespeare Mach 3 power
#4 specimen ... these rods are more likely to be through actioned than tip-actioned

My advice would be to start in the middle ... With a standard float rod. There are loads of these to choose from.

the next question will be “what length?” ;)

Reuben

Site Supporter
I have the Acolyte Plus & Ultra at 13ft. If I only had to own one or the other it would be the Plus as it’s a far better all rounder. I only use the Ultra for trotting on the Forth although the Plus would do exactly the same job tbh.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you wanted an out and out silvers rod then you wouldnt get better for the money than the acolyte ultra, I love the two I have just seem like perfect silvers rods to me! But they are definitely not much of an allrounder. Best suited to fish under about 4lb gets a bit lively on fish beyond that!
Apologies for the random bout of dyslexia above, now translated to English!

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would also consider the Rive R waggler in medium, you can order one from future fishing in Newark for £5 more than an Acolyte (I have just ordered one this morning) they are lighter and crisper actioned than either the Drennan or the Preston and the medium action version is probably slightly more powerful than an acolyte ultra but not as powerful as a plus

PWillan

I would also consider the Rive R waggler in medium, you can order one from future fishing in Newark for £5 more than an Acolyte (I have just ordered one this morning) they are lighter and crisper actioned than either the Drennan or the Preston and the medium action version is probably slightly more powerful than an acolyte ultra but not as powerful as a plus

Thanks but you must have ordered the last one as they are now out of stock, plus I was going to buy which ever rod I picked from Future fishing as well

Jonny w

Just saw on their website, it's a bit beefier to handle the bonus larger fish as well, which is what I'm after, just incase. How do small silvers feel on it? It's not too beefy so that you can't feel the play with smaller fish?
To be honest it handles silvers fine in my opinion, you just have a little more power with the plus over the ultra, however I wouldn’t go to a commercial and start trying to pull doubles out of snaggy swims if you know what I mean, I just find it to be a good all rounder.

Last edited:

PWillan

Thank you everyone, it does look like the Acolyte Plus would be perfect, it's has a little power in reserve if I hook into something a bit bigger, is cheaper than the MAP and people's comments on here suggest it's a bl**dy good rod, thank you again everyone

nejohn

Site Supporter
Thanks but you must have ordered the last one as they are now out of stock, plus I was going to buy which ever rod I picked from Future fishing as well
They have had no stock for months, they have ordered me one from Rive said it will be around 2 weeks delivery. A bit more money than the price on the Web site but still less than £200. Give them a call and ask to speak to leanne

Jonny w

Thank you everyone, it does look like the Acolyte Plus would be perfect, it's has a little power in reserve if I hook into something a bit bigger, is cheaper than the MAP and people's comments on here suggest it's a bl**dy good rod, thank you again everyone
Doubt you will be disappointed buddy, they are a good rod.