Float rod.......stick float...... soft tip.... spliced......??

IanG1

Site Supporter
@Fugley-fisher any good for you

nejohn

Site Supporter
@nejohn do you have any thoughts on the following
Map ultra 2 15 ft
Shakespear president deluxe 14ft
Dave harrell concept 13ft
Team Daiwa matchlite 13ft
Out of them 4 my choice would probably be the Daiwa if I remember rightly that was the rod below the amorphous whisker in the range, a bit heavier than a AWM or Conny and not quite as fast actioned but a similar type of action.
I was never a fan of the MAP rods apart from the original Harrison blank rods and I had a President and didn't really like, I replaced it with a Hardy spliced tip which was a much better rod, I can't help thinking a lot of people view the president with rose tinted glasses as in a lot of cases they were the 1st carbon rod people owned.

Not sure what type of action you are looking for if it is generally a slightly softer actioned rod there are a couple silstar diaflex spliced tips on ebay at the minute plus a shaky excelsior. If it is a stiffer faster action then generally you will pay more for something like a top end daiwa

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Back in that day I had a normark spiced which was lovely but 12 ft, but It got broken in move some years ago, can't remember the exact model, so if you can imagine that sort of rod but 13 14 ft ideal.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I found the map ultra 2 15 foot to be way too through actioned ... more of a margin rod for lumps.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I really do appreciate the learned opinions of the MD's, searching for a item of tackle that you don't know and can't put your hands on is very frustrating, bad enough with new tackle that very few shops stock let alone tackle that's been out of production for a number of years. Just to let you guys. YOUR OPINION MATTERS

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you like your #2 but find it a touch heavy I don’t think you’d go wrong with the #1, just a lighter version so should fit the bill without being a step into the unknown. Or even the #0 although they only do that in 15ft.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher I could buy one but I want something a bit different, dedicated for the stick. Being older I may or may not have rose tinted glasses for a spliced tip rod like a think I remember.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I found the map ultra 2 15 foot to be way too through actioned ... more of a margin rod for lumps.
And far too powerful in my opinion. I use the 14ft Drennan Matchpro ultralight for both stick and waggler and find it perfect.

Last edited:

trotter2

The silstar diaflex is a decent rod ,make sure you get the spliced tip version there is two different models a hollow tip and a spliced tip version.Top of the range in there day. But I still prefers my acoloyte ultra.

MarkW

I wonder what ACTUAL problem you are trying to solve?

Rod too stiff - does that mean you're bumping fish, losing fish?

Is the real answer to change HOW you're using what you've got? Or to try a different hook pattern? Or modify how you strike to a gentle lift?

I've fished stick floats on rods all the way from an Edgar Sealey Black Arrow, through ABU Mk6, early carbon rods like the Sundridge K Ashurst, B&W John Dean, various Daiwa spliced tips, ditto Shakespeare, Normarks and a few more which is similar to some of the other very experienced match anglers on here who've commented and NONE of them, being matched to 2lb main lines and 1lb hook links plus fine wire hooks down to at least a 22, could be regarded as too stiff. That they're all different it's true and need different handling but all are usable for fishing a stick and striking, playing fish. It's also true that in the days of big river matches looking for any edge over the opposition was essential and the best rod for the task could make a slight difference although feeding, presentation and end gear - float, shotting, hooklink and hook plus bait, all were far more important. I also had the pleasure of watching the true greats on the stick float, often using rods that would seem archaic now, but they did more than manage.

I'd suggest saving your money and looking for the real problem.

trotter2

I know from experience for me a very stiff rod coupled to a soft tip can make matters much worse. With far more bumped fish instead of in the net. One step at a time with progress a new rod is not always the answer to a problem as mark rightly pointed out.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I'm using dh 3lb main line and .9 hook lenth I've been using various patterns of hook b510 n10 colomic fine wire, when using said rod I've been bumping plenty of fish, how ever I was on my whip flick tip the other day I never lost a fish so I don't think it's my main line hooks or hook links or striking, @MarkW you have had plenty of rods over the years so why did you buy a allerton spliced, is because your refining gear to suit your fishing and getting the best tool for the job.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm using dh 3lb main line

How you getting on with the 3lb pro float? I bought some to try this season but so far the Thames has been in waggler condition the whole time so I’ve just been using 3lb maxima with the wagglers but with all the rain we’ve now had I’m thinking it’ll be time for the stick therefore the pro float now.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Ive just taken receipt of a maver Sig pro 15ft found one on the bay 120 delivered really wanted a 14 but for the cash I'll take what I can get going to hit the river tomorrow will make initial verdict then.

tincaboy2

i have an old Leeda spliced tip, was cheap enough second hand, I couldn't justify buying a modern Browning spliced tip. The old Leeda is better at handling bigger roach than my more expensive Drennan Acolyte.