Float rod.......stick float...... soft tip.... spliced......??

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I want a new one 13 - 14 ft stick float, so possibly spliced tip, in the running
cadence no#1 (new)
Mach 3 (second hand )
Garbo altima (second hand)
Maver Sig pro (second hand )
Daiwa connosiur (new)
Max budget 160 so forget tri star John allerton browning spliced tip gold plated, and I for some reason I don't like the accolite. Thoughts on the above or something different IN BUDGET. At the mo my 13ft is a cadence no#2 just not quite as soft a tip as I would like, still love the rod.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If you want a spliced tp rod within budget, you'll have to go second hand. I know of three current spliced tip float rods (Browning Sphere, Tri-Cast Allerton and a custom rod based on a Harrison GTi blank). You are unlikely to get any of them under your budget.

Of your shortlist, I'd strike off the Daiwa Connoisseur completely. The Mach 3s are OK, but nowhere near as good as they've been built up to be. It's only the stupidly low prices that they were cleared at that gave them such a following. The Garbolino Altima and Maver Signature Pro are both higher calibre rods. I don't know enough about the Cadence rods to pass comment.

My choice from that shortlist, especially as trotting is the intended purpose, would be the Maver.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You might have to push the budget to get most of those new. The cadence #1 would obviously be within budget and it’s a pretty good rod. I don’t use mine much as it’s simply not even close to being as good as my acolyte ultra as a silvers rod but it is still a good light allrounder type float rod. The maver signature pro is better than the cadence but I think you’ll struggle to get one within budget so if I were you I’d look at the new shimano X5 aero. It’s within your budget and just feels (and certainly looks) a bit better than the cadence for not much more money. I don’t personally like the daiwa it’s a rod that doesn’t seem to know what it’s trying to be and I don’t know the others.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Cheers @Sam Vimes really hard as not may about currently second hand or otherwise, not like you can easily put your hands on for a direct comparison, i do like the look of the maver.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@Fugley-fisher Here are the specs on the Maver & a 16ft in action.
There are 14ft rods on eBay at the moment but still available from certain shops.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
IMO the cadence are like an improved mach 3 (similar action, a bit softer tip) - so you'd be looking for a Mach3 13ft lite if you want something softer than the cadence #2. They are like rocking horse poo second hand so I'd rule that out.

If you love the cadence #2 then why not try the #1? or even the 15 ft #0 ?

I have owned, used and abused both hollow tip and spliced tip rods - and now just use hollow tip rods for everything. that could be because the spliced tip rods I've had were at the mellow end of the spectrum anyway. I know that others (Sam Vimes and NEJohn for example) prefer spliced tip in some or all situations.
As I've written before - I use exactly the same rods for both top & bottom and waggler fishing.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
oops - one of the 5 float rods that I still use in matches does have a spliced tip - the conoflex blank that is most commonly seen as the "Image canal rod".
Only ever used with a waggler.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I love my spliced tip 1983 Shakespeare President Super Match 13ft. One of the finest rods ever made for stick float fishing, and arguably Shakespeare's finest ever rod.

Chavey1

So what did you think of the rods I showed you today F-F?
in my opinion all 3 would be suitable for the stick float, but the Colmic Superior class 14ft is pretty special isn’t it?

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Yes it has a very nice feel to it and would defiantly do the job, as I'm upping my budget I'm going to have to have a wiggle of the competition it's only fair. But it will not be discounted, like I said I buy what I like and what fits the bill.

solwood

Site Supporter
I use a second hand 13ft Harrison GTI or Dave Harrel Spliced tip on the same blank

The Harrison cost me 80 delivered and the Dave Harrel 60(its got the extension to 15ft) and I had it re rung to my specifications

Both are excellent and kept over a match pro ultralight, and Acolyte Ultra

trotter2

I use a second hand 13ft Harrison GTI or Dave Harrel Spliced tip on the same blank

The Harrison cost me 80 delivered and the Dave Harrel 60(its got the extension to 15ft) and I had it re rung to my specifications

Both are excellent and kept over a match pro ultralight, and Acolyte Ultra
Solwood whats the full make of the Dave Harrel rod just interested is it a Map by any chance?

nejohn

Site Supporter
In addition to the 3 rods mentioned the only other spliced tip I am aware of that you can buy new is a sensas rod but the chances of getting one of those is probably zero. Out of the rods you mention my choice would be either the signature Pro or the garbolino but would probably lean towards the maver. The Mach3 in my opinion were very over rated they appeared to be a bargain at the prices that Mike Ashley was knocking them out for but shakey sold very few at full price, the new conny though not a bad all round float rod I would not say it was a great stick float rod. If you are looking at second hand I would look at older spliced tip Daiwa connoisseurs or amorphous whiskers, also look at tri-cast spliced tips, Shimano triple Xs, leeda 7000 or 9000, Shakespeare aristocrat, the above mention Dave Harrel, Harrison gti, century excaliber. Another wild card if you can find one is the Maver gold devil

solwood

Site Supporter
Trotter it is indeed MAP, there is a look later spiral version that's not the version on the Harrison blank it's still nice though I hot one for a mate

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Some more rods have shown up that I would like opinions on, if could lay my hands them i would make my own mind up but I can't so opinions on the followings
Map ultra 2 15 ft
Shakespear president deluxe 14ft
Dave harrell concept 13ft
Team Daiwa matchlite 13ft

IanG1

Site Supporter
See Bobco are selling these off, similar to the Mach3 lite and a bargain at this price.

nejohn

Site Supporter
See Bobco are selling these off, similar to the Mach3 lite and a bargain at this price.
Can't really compare this rod to a good spliced tip stick float rod, it is much softer in the middle section therefore the line pick is much slower and doesn't give the level of control that a stiffer rod with a soft tip would give

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@nejohn do you have any thoughts on the following
Map ultra 2 15 ft
Shakespear president deluxe 14ft
Dave harrell concept 13ft
Team Daiwa matchlite 13ft

IanG1

Site Supporter
The original poster talked about Cadense 13ft No 1 and Mach 3 as options, this rod is very closely related to these.