Float Rod For Pike

CarpCatcher86

I am looking at branching out in to float fishing for pike next year. Currently I use a 3lb tc carp rod for ledgering deadbaits which has never let me down, however I think that such a rod would be a bit heavy for float fishing. Does anyone have any rod recommendations they wouldn't mind passing on?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Before you buy a new rod or rods have a go with the rod you have, you might be surprised as to how versatile it is, don't forget that the majority of the time the rods are sat on rests or are you concerned that the 3lb TV rating might be too heavy for what you intend to do

Some of my rods are 3.5lb and no problem at all if float fishing

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I use 3lb TC for ledger, float ledger, and even a drifting float.

Float fishing doesn't make the pike any smaller or fight less hard :D

It probably be wise to get a proper deadbait rod, more of a through action, better for casting big deadbaits and soak up the fast pike lunges and tire them out quicker.

CarpCatcher86

Before you buy a new rod or rods have a go with the rod you have, you might be surprised as to how versatile it is, don't forget that the majority of the time the rods are sat on rests or are you concerned that the 3lb TV rating might be too heavy for what you intend to do

Some of my rods are 3.5lb and no problem at all if float fishing
Sorry, by too heavy I ment the strength of the rod rather than the actual weight.
Is there any real need to have dedicated rods for each species, such as a seperate 3lb tc rod for carp pike barble and maybe catfish too?

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Sorry, by too heavy I ment the strength of the rod rather than the actual weight.
Is there any real need to have dedicated rods for each species, such as a seperate 3lb tc rod for carp pike barble and maybe catfish too?

I'd say you can use the same rods for barbel and pike, meaning able to lob a big weight and bend all the way through.

Carp rods are designed to be tippy with a fast recovery to chuck a small weight a long way, which means not ideal for casting big deadbaits and playing fast lunging fish like barbel and pike.

Catfish i don't know anything about, except for maybe don't they use like 4-5lb+ t/c rods for big cats?

Though some do use carp rods for barbel and pike, but wouldn't be my choice personally :D

Sad Teacher

I am like you- I took up pike fishing this year and was a given Shaky 10ft 3 piece carp rod in fibreglass to use and its been good to use ( i had forgot the convenience of a 3 piece rod) as a lot of time it sits in rest. However the taxman sent me a rebate and I bought myself a proper pike rod and the difference has been great and made a big difference to hook up rate and generally feels better. It was a David Lumb rod yes more money than I needed to spend but his advice and guidance was very helpful and the rod is a thing of beauty but is robust enough not to worry too much about it.

buygoodtackle

I have 3lb pike rods and they stay in the garage! My pike rod is a 3piece 12 foot 2.5lb carp rod that does everything I need apart from casting a deadbait to the horizon. Also the fight is much better and you don't feel as if you are just reeling in a dead weight. Similarly I do not use "pike " floats, I use a pellet waggler that takes 5 swan so the resistance to the pike is a lot less.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Hmmm , let's put it this way, if you were playing golf and you were on the first tee, would you drive off the round with a putter and play all the holes with the same putter
Its after all a golf club so what difference would it make using the one putter all day say compared to using the right club for the right job

Anyone answering that one correctly will also know the answer to using a purpose designed rod for the right purpose

My 3.5lb rods referred to above happen to also e Dave lumbs rods, baitblasters, also referenced by another poster and they're superb rods for piking and the one thing that I will say is that I never experience reeling in dead weights

Its alo true you can compromise a touch when choosing a rod to float fish with as you can use 2.5lb rods with a through action as you tend to fish close or near bank anyway, the key though is a proper through action so you don't rip the baits off on the cast or lock the rod up when attempting a cast

My lad when he was younger used my wychwood 1.75lb barble rods for close in piking, they matched the strength he had a a nipper to the rods power and he was able to get a bend in the blank and use the rods power but they are wychwood rapier rods and pretty good blanks (allegedly greys blanks from the same Chinese factory) but S he got older and stronger the tc's of the rods he used gradually increased in relative terms to his strength

Indecently his best pike on barble rods was 17.5lb on nearside float tactics

My advice would be to buy a decent rod with a tc of at least 2.5lb with a good through action and the best you can afford as circumstances allow, you won't regret it, as a previous poster has already said, the difference in fishing with a make do rod and one designed for purpose is like chalk and cheese

badgerale

I have 3lb pike rods and they stay in the garage! My pike rod is a 3piece 12 foot 2.5lb carp rod that does everything I need apart from casting a deadbait to the horizon. Also the fight is much better and you don't feel as if you are just reeling in a dead weight. Similarly I do not use "pike " floats, I use a pellet waggler that takes 5 swan so the resistance to the pike is a lot less.
What rod is that?

I've been looking for a cheapish carp/pike rod in three pieces but have been struggling to fine one that is quite right.

Dawia do a black widow carp rod which would nicely match my baitrunner, but it seems like only the 3lb version comes in 3 pieces.

CarpCatcher86

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Two rods I have my eye on are the Fox Rage Predator Warrior and the Fox Rage Predator Elite rods. 12ft 3.25lb tc for ledgered deadbaits, 12ft 2.75lb tc for float fishing maybe. Lures and spinners are my preferred medium for pike so my choice of rods won't be used all the time, meaning I don't want rods to break the bank if that makes sense. But I still want something of quality when I do use them.

buygoodtackle

Unfortunately you are unlikely to be able to get what I use - a Lazer Carpio. I bought several when I was running the tackle site and to my knowledge I was the only one to import them. They were not expensive (under £20 trade price) but I am not sure if they are even available now. I use them for my piking which tends to take place within 35m of the bank, any further and I would be using one of the heavier rods.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Korum snapper cult deadbait rods are about the best value vs features.

Anti frap tip and a line clip you usually find on £130+ rods and even at that price not always. And ceramic lined Fuji K guides.