Float rig for Perch

Silver fan 82

I'm thinking of doing a bit of waggler fishing on a stillwater at the weekend for some Perch.
There are a fair few smaller ones in the lake but also some decent sized ones.
I'm trying Prawns as bait and may also take lobworms.
My main question is what shotting pattern would you all use? Perch like most predators don't like resistance so I was thinking of a simple loaded crystal waggler set an inch or two overdepth with no shot at all, just the floats own weight to shot it?
I'm only fishing the margins in about 3 or so feet of water.
Obviously conditions on the day will dictate but was just after any other ideas.

Silver fan 82

I would still use a dropper or you might get some deep hooked fish as they have so much line to play with before it registers on the float.
That's a good point. Whenever I fish the tip for Perch I usually get a few deep hooked. Thanks for pointing that out ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On one of my local Stillwaters I fish for roach with an insert waggler fished around dead depth with a single number 8 dropper so to fish the whole water column. I more often than not pick up anything from a couple to a handful decent perch in the 1-2.5lb range on it, might be worth you giving a similarly fairly shot and resistance free rig a go.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I'm doing the same thing, I'm intending to use a bobber down to a 2.5g inline olivette and droppers, with the prawn banded and a fully exposed hook which apparently helps to prevent deep hooking too - I've seen and heard of this being used with good success.

I "think" (not from experience) that resistance plays a bigger role when it comes to ledgering because the anglers response to the bite is much slower in this case, the Perch has much more time to spit the bait out when it doesn't' feel right.

Again, I don't "think" that resistance is overly important on the float, if it's a good bite and a good strike you're probably getting the Perch.

DFL

Site Supporter
If I was fishing close in to the margin I would freeline and touch leger. If using a lobworm I’d inject it with some air and and balance it with a shot an inch from the hook.

Kirtons

Site Supporter
If your fishing prawn in the margins try using a pole float instead. A simple spread bulk will suffice and like you say a couple of inch on the bottom. If your fishing lobworm then have it 6” off bottom and let it drift a bit and twitch it occasionally ??

Kirtons

Site Supporter
If I was fishing close in to the margin I would freeline and touch leger. If using a lobworm I’d inject it with some air and and balance it with a shot an inch from the hook.
Always fancied trying the popped up lobworm ????

DFL

Site Supporter
Always fancied trying the popped up lobworm ????

it is useful on a lake bed full of crud, perch aren’t known for their foraging ability unlike the tench. Also good when trotting on the surface down the river.