Float reel

SilverSurfer

Hi all,

I am new here - be nice...;-)

I am looking for a reel to go with a Drennan Acolyte Plus 13ft float rod. I want use it as all-round float rod for commercials and river fishing mainly silvers. I was thinking of a Daiwa Ninja 3012 or 4012. The former is a fair bit lighter I think. Any thoughts which one would complemente the rod well or any other alternatives in that price range to consider? Thanks.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Try the top of the range from Cadence. Built around a magnesium frame, light with a good clutch. CS10 is the dogs for me right now. I'm using mine for light line waggler fishing. But it makes a great trotting float too, try the 3000 job.

Jonny w

Hi all,

I am new here - be nice...;-)

I am looking for a reel to go with a Drennan Acolyte Plus 13ft float rod. I want use it as all-round float rod for commercials and river fishing mainly silvers. I was thinking of a Daiwa Ninja 3012 or 4012. The former is a fair bit lighter I think. Any thoughts which one would complemente the rod well or any other alternatives in that price range to consider? Thanks.
My 2 sons have ninja’s and for the money there outstanding in my opinion , personally I like to use the smallest reel I can get away with for the given situation, but that’s just personal preference, I have the exact same rod as you and use an oldish Shimano sahara 2500 most of the time, I think it suits the rod well, there literally loads of lads on here with acolyte’s which will definitely be able to help you out, in my opinion though a smaller reel suits the acolyte well I’d never go above a 3000, but that’s just me.

Reuben

Site Supporter
The Cadence reels are very good for the money, particularly the CS5,6 or 7. If you’re pleasure fishing there’s no need to go top end imo.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Daiwa 3012 or Cadence 4000 are both very good reels and similarly sized. The Daiwa has a marginally wider spool. I use them for all my river float and commercial float/feeder work. Both balance perfectly with rods from 10ft -16ft