Float for freelining

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Today after school i went to my local tackle shop to bag up for tommoro. i asked him if he had any tips on freelining, he said he had never tried it, but his mate as once or twice he said use a small light float and but rubbers around it as an indiacator is this appropriate to use.
Thqanx
regards GF

is any one else fishing tomorro?>????

g.sutcliffe

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
To me free lining has always been a hook on the end of your line & the bait put on it.

The other way is to put an SSG or similar sized shot on the line & let it sink at its own pace.

Alan
You've just been moderated

MALC

GF
If you got another tackle shop that you can use i'd suggest that you use it as opposed to the one you went to today, as the information he gave you about freelining is rubbish. Sounds like he just wants the money off younger anglers as can be the case with some shops.

As Trogg has said freelining is just that..

Line & hook with a bait on it which will give the weight to cast.

Malc

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
but how are you supposed to cast 15 yards out with bread flake?????
i know some people say dabb it in water.
any other ideas
regards GF

g.sutcliffe

Edited by - goin_fishin on 01 February 2002 9:17:40 PM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi GF,

If you dunk your bread in the water prior to casting it out and then gently flick it you'll manage quite a few yards with no problems.

Here's another idea of Newts http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/392

As for freelining with a float, thats a new one on me. You could use a bubble float if you really need to get some distance when surface fishing but if you do, fasten it on a link rather than direct to the line and you'll hit more bites.

Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Goin,
Can I suggest you have a look at obtaining a book I was given for Xmas by a relative who knew I was interested in fishing.
Produced by Anness publishing Ltd., it is called The Complete Guide to Fishing and the coarse section is written by Tony Miles, whom I rate highly.
It covers all the basic aspects of coarse fishing and for instance has a 10 page chapter on freelining.
When the weather is too bad, or whenever you have free time, I'll bet you get a tremendous buzz from reading the information in here and it will put you right over what to buy for equipment, far better than your rip-off tackle shop by the sound of it.
More than 1/2 the book is devoted to coarse fishing, but there is a comprehensive Sea and Game section as well.
If youve a birthday coming up, or a kind relative, nudge them into getting you this.
Good Luck

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 02 February 2002 03:29:59 AM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As the others stated if theres anything else on the line then its NOT free lined. I assume you are fishing a river if so then freelining will only allow you to fish down the nearside.The current will move the bait in. It would be far better to set up a leger rig but instead of a leger tie on a short length of nylon say 10cms and then to pinch on either swan shot or AA shot. the amount is easily adjusted to the flow by adding or subtracting shot. This will then give you casting weight and counter any current. Obviously this is not suitable if the current is strong. In this case balencing the leger against the flow is applicable. what ever weight is used it should only just hold bottom.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.