Float fishing tips for crystal clear water

CarpCatcher86

I managed to get on the bank yesterday before the rain and thunder made an appearance. The water I was fishing for the first time was so clear it was like fishing in a swimming pool. 20ft of the bank at a depth of 7ft I could see the bottom when the light hit the water just right. I could just about see the fish taking bait on the drop and I caught quite a few fish. Of course I was using a crystal waggler and a fluorocarbon hooklink which was about a foot long.
I haven't had much experience fishing in such clear water, is there anything I have missed or should bear in mind?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not really you are on the right track. Clear wagglers, light hooklengths, small fine hooks not too many especially big shot down the line etc all help and feeding can see fish lose their wariness after a while. Couple bits of the Thames I fish go very clear and I’ve fished very clear bits of the Itchen, Waveney, Severn and the wye as well plus very clear water at sea. Tbh each water is different as the clear water itself doesn’t cause any issues it’s more the pressure the fish see. If they don’t get massive pressure fish in tap like water can still be fairly bold.

CarpCatcher86

Thanks for the advice guys.
Staying low on the bank is a little tricky right now as the water level has dropped by about three feet.