Float Fishing Rod Advice

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could recommend a decent priced float fishing rod, best bang for buck so to speak... haven't really done any float fishing for a long time but Its time to get back into it I feel! Would ideally like to spend less that 80 quid.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Any of these will be fine but will depend on your target species...

Maver Reality..around £40
Daiwa Ninja...around £47/£48
Shakespeare Sigma Supra...around £45
Shakespeare Agility 2 ...around £70

If you want something with a bit more 'oomph'

Daiwa SR3 Power Waggler Rod...around £80
Daiwa Yank N Bank 13ft Power Waggler Rod..around £75
Shakespeare Sigma Supra Power Match...around £55/£60

rob_v

I have no experience of centre pins reels sorry, but I see no reason why they would not be suitable. I use the drennan 7 series float reel with mine

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you want a Shakespeare Agility you should be able to find a very good deal somewhere as the range is discontinued now and being replaced shortly so all the old stock has been punted out to anybody in the trade who has a few bob to spend.

solwood

Site Supporter
I found the red range heavy and not crisp enough

A second hands acolyte will likely be £100, if toy can find the extra work it imho

Had a Shakespeare mach 3xt lite match, lovely rod, if you can find one for £40/£50. If the agility is anything like this it will be a great rod

Original Drennan tench float or the super tench are both great rods

In the classifieds there is a maver liquid crystal for 50 if you are anywhere neat leeds

Neskin

Just been in tackle shop and had a waggle on the acolyte 14ft plus

Now sat here trying to convince myself that i dont need it! Dont do much float fishing but bought a pin a while ago and really enjoyed trotting a float so im thinking that i should just get it and ill get out more on the float.

Absolutely cracking bit of kit, someone tell me i shouldnt go back there on my break and get it!

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 14' Ultra and it is an impressive bit of kit
Goes well with a pin too - mine is usually found with a 5.5" Leeds pin strapped to it

I was going to suggest waiting until the weekend for the usual BobCo bank holiday sale but it appears the 14' is out of stock so don't delay (y)

Simon