Float Fishing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
i was fishing a pond today on a waggler and i'd cast out in front of me and 5 mins later the float will have drifted to my left and the wind was blowing across from the right.

does this mean i wasnt at full depth on the bottom and under current was taking it to the left ?

how can you keep your float out in front when this happens ?

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Happyeater

Try soaking your line in water/washing up liquid for a few hours, it helps the line to sink. Make sure your rod end sinks the line and then keep rod end close to water. The wind blows the line if its on top, pulling the float with it.

Possible right that you were not on the bottom, but I think it was mainly the wind that pushed your float. Being on the bottom would help a little, though.

Welcome back, mate, and well done on those roach.

fishing_mad

if the float does move it sometimes help you to get bitle the odd bits of movement make fish interested also at this time of year fish over-depth by about 3-9 inches unless there are lots of snags

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
cheers lads
i was sinking line and had tip on water.

i'll try soaking my line for a few hours.
the line im using is drennan float fish.

if fishing over depth wud the float still go under with a bite or lift up ?

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

mike s

Your float moving in the opposite direction to the wind is due to undertow. This happens because the wind pushes the top layer up against the shore, forcing water back along the lake underneath the surface layer.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Chopper

Ditch the Drennan 'float fish' line, it floats!

The surface skim going one way and the current caused by the undertow bouncing of another bank as mike says will also cause a big bow in your line making your waggler also come back towards you and make it hard to connect with bites and drift away from from your feed area. Feeding a tight area and getting correct bait presentation over the top of it can be crucial to getting bites, especially this time of year.

As for lift bites, this will only happen if you have some weight (shot) on the deck, or the fish picks up your bait and swim towards the surface so it's very unlikely.

Treat yourself to a pole, fish a heavy rig slightly over shotted and fish 6-12 inch on the deck depending how srtong the undertow is and hold it back against the flow [;)]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Last edited:

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
what would you do to overcome this problem ?

its a nightmare when ya loose feeding coz ya puttin it in at different places ? im gonna try soaking line and fishing slighty over depth.

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
quote:Originally posted by LEE SAVILLE

Ditch the Drennan 'float fish' line, it floats!

The surface skim going one way and the current caused by the undertow bouncing of another bank as mike says will also cause a big bow in your line making your waggler also come back towards you and make it hard to connect with bites and drift away from from your feed area. Feeding a tight area and getting correct bait presentation over the top of it can be crucial to getting bites, especially this time of year.

As for lift bites, this will only happen if you have some weight (shot) on the deck, or the fish picks up your bait and swim towards the surface so it's very unlikely.

Treat yourself to a pole, fish a heavy rig slightly over shotted and fish 6-12 inch on the deck depending how srtong the undertow is and hold it back against the flow [;)]

www.colmic.com

hiya lee
reading this reply your spot on with saying u get a bow in the line, i sunk my line in the normal way and had tip of rod just under the water when on rest.

what line wud u reccomend for float fishing stillwaters ?

i dont own a pole, with me just getting back i only got a whip coz a new full set up costs a few bob, its only 5 metre but i think i will give it a go next time out

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

dbarri

Hope the following helps. I used to fish Sutton res near Mansfield, where I have never experienced such a fast and powerful undertow. I am not kidding, it flows like the Trent. Very shallow venue (4 feet) but covering a wide area. I once tried undershotting my waggler rig by about 6-8 number 8 shots, and fishing 11 feet deep in four feet of water with TEN number 10 shots on the deck. Even this did not stop the tow dragging the float out of position (I did say it was strong!). Some of the venue regulars pole fished using floats UPWARDS of 2 grams capacity. However, although I have yet to try it, it may be worth fishing the float top and bottom and using a floating (possibly treated) line (I presume you are trying to stop or slow down the passage of the rig). Too many anglers are blinkered by the idea that still waters should always be fished with a bottom end only waggler. Even Ivan Marks insisted that control would always be better with a top and bottom presentation (according to conditions). You won't find many pole floats that you attach only at the bottom of the stem. If the wind is blowing in the opposite direction to the undertow (and when doesn't it?), you can use the wind to your advantage to control the passage of the float (or stop it completely - if that is how the fish want it). Ivan used to use a 'waggler' fished in this style on the River Welland, but called it a 'zoomer', but he said it only works properly when the flow of the river and the opposing wind were of the right strength and in the right direction (opposing eachother). The variety of presentation could enable the method to outperform a float attached at the bottom end only. At the time I fished Sutton res, I honestly believed that a stickfloat was a viable proposition. Don't all the textbooks say that an upstream wind is best for this method. If you think about it, this is because wind and flow are working in OPPOSITE directions!

Chopper

I think Maxima is as good as anything, I use it for just about everything. The drennan float fish line is designed to float, that's a fine if a venue is flat calm with no movement or tow.

I carry a small bottle of washing up liquid and water, 50/50 and just apply it to my spool and work it through the line with my fingers, you might have to repeat this a few times during your session but it does the trick.

quote:its a nightmare when ya loose feeding coz ya puttin it in at different places

Not a good idea, especially this time of year, the few fish that will feed are going to be spilt up and spread all over the place if your spraying bait every where.

The only thing that will help keep your float in the same place is to fish a heavier waggler, don't be afraid to fish anything up to 4xSSG's as long as it has a reasonably fine tip and is dotted down you will still get bites.

If you are still getting a big bow in your line just take your bail arm off and gently control the line coming off your spool, position your rod to the side the bow is going instead of straight out in front of you and whwn you get a bite strike sideways not straight up like you would if you were feeder fishing. This way your float shouldn't drift back towards you and you still have a good chance of hitting the bites.

Hope you understand what I mean and it works for you.[;)]

www.colmic.com

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
thanx again mate i'll try all the different things you mentioned till i get over the problem.
i did reel in a few times to find maggots had been touched but never seen the bites.

..`. &gt;&lt;((((((&gt;
``..`. &gt;&lt;((((&gt;

Status
Not open for further replies.