Float Fishing Mono

Deejay8

Site Supporter
One thing to remember is not to apply too much tension when putting the line on the spool, or it can be too tight on the spool and create curls.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m glad so many people use Maxima. I don’t think it can be beaten. I use nothing else for feeder fishing. I only use Perlon for fishing silvers on the waggler tbh. I think I would recommend Maxima for float fishing if it’s mainly for carp and tench.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m glad so many people use Maxima. I don’t think it can be beaten. I use nothing else for feeder fishing. I only use Perlon for fishing silvers on the waggler tbh. I think I would recommend Maxima for float fishing if it’s mainly for carp and tench.
Can use maxima for anything really just about getting the b/s right for the fish. I only use 3lb because it’s the lightest that I know I can do two reels with a 600m spool with but I should use 2.5lb really as reckon I could just about fill them with that as well and it would no doubt work a bit better for silvers without losing much power for bigger fish as all maxima b/s are a good bit stronger than stated.

Have gone over to hyper sensor for lighter feeder fishing though as it’s marginally thinner and less stretchy so can definitely get away with less weight and potentially see bites better but doubt it really makes much difference to the latter really.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
For waggler and medium stick floats, say 6x4 to 14x4, I use 2 1/2lb Maxima. Easy to sink with drop of washing up liquid or make float with silicon spray.

Pellet wag, Bolo or Slider work I use SF 0.20mm 6.6lb. I'm on my last few bulk spools of this line now and when it's gone will probably go to 4lb Maxima.

For light stick or wag, especially on my centre pin and closed face reels I like Silstar Match Winner in 0.14mm.

Volvster

Looks like the general consensus is that Maxima is the line to use, so I've just ordered a spool of 4lb line.

Thanks for all your help

alsur

Site Supporter
I'm the odd one out, I wouldn't use maxima if it was free.
I changed from maxima to Daiwa Sensor and wouldn't go back and have never used maxima for stick float fishing preferring Bayer, I've now changed to Dave Harrell for stick float fishing as it's lower diameter. Both maxima and bayer are good lines and many people are happy with them, although I like Sensor lots of people don't possibly I could find another line better but as it doesn't give me any problems I'm happy to stick with it which is probably the same with people who still use maxima.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I'm the odd one out, I wouldn't use maxima if it was free.
I used to use Maxima for the feeder on the Trent many moons ago but always felt I got a lot of line twist. I switched to Silstar Team Match & didn’t seem to have the same problems. End of the day we use what works for us - same with most items of tackle. I predominantly use Sensor nowadays.

Volvster

I switched to Hypersensor for my feeder reels and I've had no problems, let's hope Maxim does the same for my float reels.

TiggerXFM

I switched to Hypersensor for my feeder reels and I've had no problems, let's hope Maxim does the same for my float reels.
I've never tried hyper, always been happy with bog standard sensor....especially for float fishing 😉.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never tried hyper, always been happy with bog standard sensor....especially for float fishing 😉.
Give it a go is thinner and more supple and doesn’t appear any weaker just less abrasion resistant. I’d probably use it a lot more if it was available in lower breaking strains.

TiggerXFM

Give it a go is thinner and more supple and doesn’t appear any weaker just less abrasion resistant. I’d probably use it a lot more if it was available in lower breaking strains.
I have looked at the diameters of the two, and it appears that the 4lb sensor is the same diameter as the 6lb hyper and so on.
That kinda put me off the hyper because it is apparently more true to breaking strain, which I would imagine to be true since 4lb sensor is more like 6lb. Also, the abrasion resistance I get with sensor is quite a major plus for me because of the places/rivers I fish.

gordon henry

4lb Maxima will land anything. I've used it for nearly 50 years and I wouldn't use anything else for waggler fishing.

satinet

I have looked at the diameters of the two, and it appears that the 4lb sensor is the same diameter as the 6lb hyper and so on.
That kinda put me off the hyper because it is apparently more true to breaking strain, which I would imagine to be true since 4lb sensor is more like 6lb. Also, the abrasion resistance I get with sensor is quite a major plus for me because of the places/rivers I fish.
Hyper is nice but the with the reduced diameter I don't think it's as strong pound for pound as standard. I use 6lb hyper for feeder fishing and find it good though. Tbh I only use sensor and hyper for all my rod fishing as I find it cheap and effective and don't believe in magic lines. Pity they don't make a lower B/S than 4lb on bulk spools. Although 5lb hyper is a slightly lower diameter than 4lb normal.

Normal sensor though yeah I find it super reliable and super cheap relatively. I think hyper is slightly more towards being a hightech line without being quite as supple and fancy as say n-gage.