Float Fishing Mono

Volvster

I've been using the line on my reel for about a month now and I've noticed that without any weight on the line it looks like a curly wurly and it's one of the reasons I chose the line was that it said it wouldn't curl up.

Can anyone recommend a good low memory 4lb mono for float fishing that will not curl up

I was told about Kastking and Berkely Triline, but I would much rather hear from people that have experience of using a good make

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I don’t do that much float fishing but I tend to use Bayer Perlon. It is fairly well behaved and reasonably strong. @Silverfisher float fishes for roach all the time. He will probably be along shortly now I’ve tagged him and he can tell you what he uses.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I mostly use maxima as it’s fairly cheap, readily available, behaves itself and is versatile in that you can make it float and sink. No need to go as high as 4lb with it though as it’s virtually bullet proof so 3lb or even 2.5lb is fine. Then there’s a bit more fancy lines like DH pro match which is much thinner and more supple and tbh apart from being not as strong is a better line. 4lb pro match would be like 3lb maxima). Drennan float fish is very good as well probably falling in between the two previously mentioned with the 3.2lb being a good all round strength only problem with it is that whilst the other two come in 100m, 250m and 600m spools in the case of maxima and 300m for pro match float fish only comes in 100m which is annoying when most modern reels have line capacities more suited to that open ocean that any sort of freshwater. It is the most floaty of the 3 so probably the least versatile but tbh I find the vast majority of the time you want float lines to float anyway as it makes line control and striking much easier.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I tried Maxima once, the stuff is like wire. Now I use Drennan Floatfish. Yes, it only comes in 100 metre spools but I just use a load of line as backing. I've used electricity insulating tape before now. Who needs more than 100 metres of line? We're not fishing for Bonefish.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Who needs more than 100 metres of line? We're not fishing for Bonefish.
So annoying isn’t it. I mean like some of my 2500 reels will take like pushing 300m of 0.16 or over 300m of 0.14 which I think even defeats the argument that they aren’t designed for coarse fishing. Because whilst that diameter is around 3lb in mono that’s like 15lb plus in braid and you certainly wouldn’t use much stronger than that on a reel that size for the sort of fishing you’d do with such a size reel. A capacity of 200m of 0.15 would be absolutely plenty for a 2500 reel in any application.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
I have been using 3lb maxima on my river float fishing reels for last 10 years and found no reason to change. Tough as old boots, can get it to float and sink when I want it to and can land pretty much everything that swims.

Reuben

Site Supporter
So annoying isn’t it. I mean like some of my 2500 reels will take like pushing 300m of 0.16 or over 300m of 0.14 which I think even defeats the argument that they aren’t designed for coarse fishing. Because whilst that diameter is around 3lb in mono that’s like 15lb plus in braid and you certainly wouldn’t use much stronger than that on a reel that size for the sort of fishing you’d do with such a size reel. A capacity of 200m of 0.15 would be absolutely plenty for a 2500 reel in any application.
Don’t you put any backing on your spools, mate? I always do if the spool takes over 200m of line I’m planning to use. I use the old line I’m replacing as backing mostly or very cheap mono bought specifically for that purpose.
I tend to use 4lb for all of my Stillwater float fishing because there’s every chance of biggish carp. I’ve got 2.5lb on the pin though for trotting.

alsur

Site Supporter
I use different lines for stick float fishing and waggler fishing, for stick float fishing I use Dave Harrell Pro Float 4lb and for general waggler fishing I use Daiwa Hyper Sensor 5lb

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
For waggler fishing I generally use 2.5 or 3lb Maxima, I will only go to 4lb if I am in a particularly snaggy peg and there is a very high chance of large fish. With the right rod and care 3 or 4lb Maxima will land most things that we will come across in UK waters. I have been dabbling with Shimano aspire but the jury is still out on that one.
For top and bottom floats my go to would be either 2.6 or 3.2lb perlon or Drennan floatfish as it holds up in the water well and is generally reliable

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t you put any backing on your spools, mate? I always do if the spool takes over 200m of line I’m planning to use. I use the old line I’m replacing as backing mostly or very cheap mono bought specifically for that purpose.
I did with my spools with pro match on as even 300m of that in 0.14 won’t fill many reels so did about 100m of old maxima then about 200m of pro float over the top as bit prangy of making sure the knot is a long way down my line to line knot tying is rubbish. With maxima I don’t do backing though as can easily do two spools with a 600m spool or just about one with a 250m spool. Should do really though it’s partly laziness that I don’t. Still the principal of reels not needing to be so deep is still there though.

ravey

I use 2lb Maxima for the waggler, and have some Daiwa Monofilament of the same strength for the stick. Pole, stick and waggler rigs are made up on 1.5lb Maxima. Suits me, and I see no reason to change (most of my fishing is done on the Trent or my local canals).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
4lb Maxima for stillwater. 3 or 4lb Preston Float Max for Rivers. Don't listen to me though, I couldn't float fish a river to save my life and not much better on stillwater, I do think Float Max is the best line I've spooled up with though, it's well understated so I can land those Barbel I plan to hook with 4lb line. (y)

MarkW

I don't think it's the brand of line causing the twist.

There are a couple of reasons why line gets lots of twist in it. One is winding in - DON'T WIND! - when the drag is yielding line. The other which is less likely is that the design of the roller in the bale arm is putting twist into the line; this is rare nowadays but on one or two reels in the past people actually Araldited the roller to STOP it turning. Sometimes the way line is put onto reel doesn't help - I always run the spool of line on an axle rather than off the end of the spool. Another rare reason is twist being put into a line when retrieving tackle.

BaldiMug

I've always used Drennan float fish, there is a 3.2lb, 4.4lb & 5lb is the range of breaking strain you asked for.

TiggerXFM

I've been using the line on my reel for about a month now and I've noticed that without any weight on the line it looks like a curly wurly and it's one of the reasons I chose the line was that it said it wouldn't curl up.

Can anyone recommend a good low memory 4lb mono for float fishing that will not curl up

I was told about Kastking and Berkely Triline, but I would much rather hear from people that have experience of using a good make
If it's just the last few feet of line that is curly I think that is pretty normal, it goes like that when your sliding floats etc up and down it. Just remove the last few feet after a session.
If the line is curly further up then it may be a problem with a guide on your rod, a crack or just hard liners.
You can often remove the springyness by stretching your line, maybe winding it back in through a piece of cloth squeezed together in your fingers.

My personal favourite mono's are daiwa sensor and bayer perlon, they both float/lay on the surface very well.

alsur

Site Supporter
I don't think it's the brand of line causing the twist.

There are a couple of reasons why line gets lots of twist in it. One is winding in - DON'T WIND! - when the drag is yielding line. The other which is less likely is that the design of the roller in the bale arm is putting twist into the line; this is rare nowadays but on one or two reels in the past people actually Araldited the roller to STOP it turning. Sometimes the way line is put onto reel doesn't help - I always run the spool of line on an axle rather than off the end of the spool. Another rare reason is twist being put into a line when retrieving tackle.
I've got a couple of Drennan FD3000 and one was twisting line really badly on close examination I noticed the roller was not fitted correctly, reseated it and it's been fine since.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Morning men, I can never understand why anglers have so many reels. Not just different sizes but different makes. I have four
Shimano`s, one exage two saido`s and one stradic, all are 2500 size, whilst small they are strong with plenty of cranking power.
This gives me eight interchangeable spools and once they have the proper amount of backing I don`t have to worry about this
ever again. I can appreciate people may need a bigger reel for distance or whatever but you get my drift. It`s all very well to go
and buy a reel from Lidl just because it`s fifteen pence but the capacity problem rears it`s head, unnecessary aggravation. Apart
from my closed face ABU`s I sometimes use Mitchell`s for the sake of it but if I had to have to stick to one reel for general coarse
float and leger fishing the 2500 Shimano will do just about everything.