Float fishing boily rivers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I gave it about 10 minutes on the stick float today on the Severn as wanted to try out my new rod and wasn't catching any Barbel, so I set up a 4BB stick float with a bulk shotting pattern, plumbed up and had about 7 foot off the tip of the rod.

I expected a lot of debris on the bottom so started a few inches off bottom. Problem I had was stick float going under in the flow. False bites.

I'm fairly sure I wasn't dragging bottom but how else would you explain these false bites? Maybe it was an undulating bottom?

River was very up and boily by the way.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Probably rubbish tumbling down the river or little vortexes pulling the float under or like you say undulating bottom getting exaggerated by the quicker flow. I do like smooth steady paced water for float fishing myself. Boily is only ok if the fish are really having it before the float starts missbehaving.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The vortexes angle interests me as that's what it seemed like to me! Can't quite work it out though. Was striking at bites hoping it would be as you say, fish having it, but soon worked out the float was just going under for no reason...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Give it a couple days to run off and warm up and things should improve, the rain and frosts will have killed silvers sport all over the place. One or the other is bad enough but both at once completely scuppers it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
One of the things I find is a boily river needs a big float... I fished a mill pool on the Wensum last year long trotting up to 30-40 yards and it was quite rurbulent and carrying a couple of extra feet... I started with a 6bb stick and ended up on a 5AAA avon style float... the Avon body holds the float up in the water... give one a go

trotter2

If the peg is boily a stick float even a wire stem stick may not be enough to combat the flow. Think it terms of a wire stem Avon or feeder if its beyond sensible float fishing. At the moment rivers are carrying a lot of leaves so perhaps not the best time for float fishing.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Get to what you think is the right float, then if no joy, then it's too boily.
Re float, and as above, heavy, wide and long bristle with wide shoulders and thick wire stem. Avon/Woodys type pattern but with a wire stem.

Can't recall what weighting 4bb gives, but seems a bit light mate based on what you describe.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
4BB comes out 1.6g I think. Bigger float it is next time I think. Maybe an Avon style float. Thanks for help.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'd try a 5-7 gram next time. Provided you shot it correctly the fish don't feel much anyway?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't really fancy my chances of catching when conditions are like that on the Severn. I was fishing a slack down the edge but bigger floats still make sense. I'm told to use a bait dropper too. For me that is hardcore fishing if you expect to catch much when the river is racing through.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Yes - boily water does pull floats under.
you definitely need a float with bouyancy in the tip for that sort of fishing. A 4g bolo would be fine in that depth or a stick float with a thicker dome tip (4 or 5bb should be ok)
bulk the shot down
use a bait dropper or groundbait - boily conditions the water is going all over the shop and loose maggots will not land in a nice area (if at all).

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I would use a heavier float as said maybe even a speci type waggler, more buoyant, more shot down the line.

squimp

Site Supporter
As per ‘nocarpplease’.

Big float with a thick tip. I’ve just made some 10gram jobs with 4mm tips.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Oh yes... that said I tend to wait till the level starts dropping... but a big float with a big smelly bait is often a killer

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I gave it about 10 minutes on the stick float today on the Severn as wanted to try out my new rod and wasn't catching any Barbel, so I set up a 4BB stick float with a bulk shotting pattern, plumbed up and had about 7 foot off the tip of the rod.

I expected a lot of debris on the bottom so started a few inches off bottom. Problem I had was stick float going under in the flow. False bites.

I'm fairly sure I wasn't dragging bottom but how else would you explain these false bites? Maybe it was an undulating bottom?

River was very up and boily by the way.
I'd have used something like a 10BB Woody's or John Allerton alloy stick.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a complete noob when it comes to float fishing rivers. Roll on summer and a nice smooth flow. :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don't wish the winter away, plenty of good Roach fishing to be had.

Next time I go to Stourport, i'll walk around further than I did last time, around the bend to the last pegs on the BAA stretch. Apparently there's good depth off the tip of the rod on those pegs.

I'm more than likely to give Arley a shot though, but not sure how it fishes. It's less of a walk than Stourport as my legs are still aching.

The thread was started after a difficult day at Hampton Loade Kinver Freeliners stretch.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Don't really fancy my chances of catching when conditions are like that on the Severn. I was fishing a slack down the edge but bigger floats still make sense. I'm told to use a bait dropper too. For me that is hardcore fishing if you expect to catch much when the river is racing through.
I think you'd have kittens if you saw many of my usual haunts. I very rarely use a float less than 3g. I realised a long time ago that the stick floats that the angling press routinely recommended for river trotting were fine on what came to mind when they thought "river", but were about as much use as a chocolate teapot on the home water I was fishing. Initially, it was 3AA+ Avons I tended to use. These days, I've progressed to largely using heavier Avons and Bolo floats.

I had a guest (a member on here) with me a couple of years back. He thought I was quite mad making him fish some of the water I did. IIRC, he said that a few spots looked more like canoe slalom courses than fishing spots. That was in pretty benign low water summer conditions too.