Flavours/Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Can anybody recommend flavours/additives to use durring the winter months for use in match fishing.I am sure the carp/specimen anglers out their can help.
I fish have matches on commercial carp waters & silver fish pools during the winter

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Have a look at the Archie Braddock range of flavours or go to www.braddocksbaits.co.uk

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

mike s

Most of the local guys (inc. me) use Braddocks "Red Surprise"-good for Perch, Roach & Gudgeon.
If it's an out & out Roach venue then I use "Floral Surprise".
All 5.30 a bottle, but it goes a long way.

"Wot, no Fish!"

nodding dog

now then slab and welcome,
In the winter time mate i always put csl (corn steep liquor) in my groundbait and i either soak or dip my hook baits depending on what i'm using in mainline active-8 or assassin-8 bait soaks, works for me mate give it a try.
cheers 'the dog'

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Try Coffee mate just pour yer self a cup look away from yer tip or float and its sure to dissapear lol i use the van dan eynde liquid stuff and mix in water for use in groundbait of my choice.

Datafile2.asp

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Last edited:

EJAYAR

I will also be trying additives in the winter, trying to work out something for maggots where small Carp and silvers are the main target.

[?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?] [?]

They get pellets etc. in the summer but seem to turn to maggot in winter and GB is allowed. May go with a liquid pellet flavouring and groundbait, maybe paste as a change hookbait (sillybait).

[?] [?] Anymore from anymore?? [?] [?]

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Hi all![:)]

How about all the different addatives and flavours you can find in the kitchen [?]
Some of which can be obtained free (so long as you don't get caught) [:D] Others can be got for a few pence at the supermarket

These include (but are not restricted to):-
curry powder
tumeric powder
garam masala (mix of Indian spices)
Marmite (yes it does work)
honey (bread paste)
Angel delight (mix with maggots)
chocolate drink powder (again mix with maggots)

In fact the list is only limited by your imagination and it's quite simply a case of don't be afraid of experimenting to see what works.

I have worked on a simple rule of sweet things in summer and spicy/savoury things in the winter, then developed from there.
As I say try it, if it don't work cross it off the list and carry on with the next idea.
BUT GIVE IT A GO

Steve

image174.gif

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

mattc

Liquid coffee, (called Camp i think) is effective. Just don't be tempted to drink it

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Something to move the pH of your bait significantly above or below that of the water. Slight preference for below in winter but IMO the key is "different".

No idea which UK stuff will do this for you though.

Newt Vail

Simon R

Site Supporter
Newt

So does that mean we should be dosing our bait with large quantities of sulphuric acid or caustic soda? [:0]

Not sure what effect it'll have on the bait but won't it dissolve the hook? [:p]

Seriously though - what do you use in the States?

Simon

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Simon - except for a very, very small number who buy stuff from over your way, we use what they have at the grocery store.

Winter time /w cool water, I tend to like alcohol-based dips with a fairly neutral bait. Vodka usually and maybe plain or pepper or some other flavored one. And BTW - the alcohol lowers the pH.

And I use a lot of "pack baits" which is basically a large ball of something packed around the hair or hook bait and made so it will break up within 2-4 minutes of landing in the water. A rather strange favorite but one that does produce is to make up boilies that are mostly flour and eggs. Maybe a tiny bit of flavor when making them up. Anise and pepermint usually but not much.

Just before casting out, I take a couple slices of dark brown bread (pumpernickle or rye or similar) and squeeze it around the bait making a ball that I can't get my hand around. Often I'll spray the ball with a "sore throat spray" - one of those green liquids that will make your throat numb.

If no take within about 10 minutes, reel in, pack the thing again and back out to about the same spot. I'll do this 4 or 5 times before I settle down and let the bait sit for a long while. Just my way of baiting up I suppose.

Couple of other things that I like for pack baits but not things that seem to exist over there. Grits & millet.

Newt Vail

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.