Flavouring Meat

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone got any tips for flavouring meat and do you think it works?

I don't have garlic powder so have used garlic cloves chopped up finely and put in a bag with the chopped up meat in the fridge overnight, smells pungent by the morning and I've found if I also spray it a bit with some Amino Spray it seems to help the flavour soak up a little bit.

I've thought about doing some spicy meat too, maybe in conjunction with the garlic for a really potent smell, but not really sure what spices to use.

All in all, I've always been sceptical about flavouring and additives but it's something I'll continue to experiment with, so in the meantime appreciate any input and tips.

Total

Site Supporter
One of my lakes had a penchant for red dyed luncheon meat for a couple of years....Did it work? Catches seemed to indicate it did....I flavoured the same red meat with a strawberry flavouring which gave the original red meat a new lease of life for a couple of seasons....All hook baits only...

I've since caught shedloads of fish on plain luncheon meat straight out of the tin.....Make your own mind up...

Greeny1178

Dad uses the dynamite robin red ,sweet corn flavoured ones does really well on them too. The robin red one usually out fishes plain meat too on a couple of club lakes .

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally I’m not convinced. Like most anglers I’ve played with flavours and colours and caught but, then I’ve cut a piece straight out of the tin and caught so ……. Not sure. 🤔 Trial and error Steve. May work on some fisheries. 🤷‍♂️

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not often I get to fish a place with meat these days. Most have banned it now. Cat and dog meat was the first to go then luncheon. Mind, does it surprise you when you see anglers lobbing great handfuls of the stuff in ? 🙄

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Always used garlic flavours for barbel, try Nutrabaits garlic oil, you will only need a couple of drops per tin of meat, i cut meat up into required sizes place in plastic bag then add garlic oil give a good shake then place in freezer, this pulls flavour into meat, sausage meat works well also, roll sausage meat to required diameter then microwave for 1 minute on high to give it a rubbery texture then cut up and add flavour. (y)

buygoodtackle

If it is for barbel/chub then Jamaican Jerk or Cajun always worked well. Table spoon full in a plastic bag with the chopped meat, shake it well and seal and put in fridge overnight. After a session put it in freezer until next time, can freeze it 2-3 times before it goes too soft.

Whisker

Site Supporter
I’ve caught on meat sprinkled with Worcester sauce. Works when you struggle to catch on plain meat.

squimp

Site Supporter
Many years ago (90’s) when luncheon meat was all the rage, my mates and I started using a similar Mattessons product that was basically a giant garlic sausage. We simply cubed it up and proceeded to empty the Bristol Avon of barbel.

We fished it with PVA stringers and probably caught 3 times the number of fish we had previously caught on standard ‘meat’.

I don’t think that exact product is still available but other similar ones probably are.

As has been said you could flavour standard meat. Check out the 2 garlic products available from ‘BP milling’. I add their natrepel’ (spelling!) to my fish feed and they go mad for it even in cold temperatures.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Flavoured it with paprika, chilli powder and Cajun type spices before and can’t say for sure if any of them made much differences compared to each other or just plain meat tbh as havent done enough of it. Certainly didn’t do any harm that’s for sure.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Put the meat in a bag, put the flavouring in with it, blow the bag up and give it all a good shake then squeeze the air out, seal the bag and bung it in the freezer for a couple of days.

When you take it out the freezer leave it to defrost naturally and it'll draw the flavouring into it.

As for flavourings, i've used all sorts experimentating, from masala powder to blue cheese sauce to garlic salt to food/cake flavourings (really good because they are concentrated) and the same with colouring it.

The meat however is always Plumrose Bacon grill from Farmfoods (99p a tin) good solid meat that takes numerous recasts and as it's tougher it withstands the smaller stuff "pecking" at it.

106721-Plumrose-Bacon-Grill-Bacon-Roll-250g-21.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lots to work on here, thanks all. (y)

It's for the Severn for me. I look at the brown coloured river over winter and think meat is the way to go, despite having caught on odourless baits in similar conditions before, it might pay to experiment.

Total

Site Supporter

It's for the Severn for me. I look at the brown coloured river over winter and think meat is the way to go, despite having caught on odourless baits in similar conditions before, it might pay to experiment.
^^ Aye, a single or double lobworm on a size 4 or 6 hook can take some beating on said above water conditions....(y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to try Lobworms. The river is dropping nicely but I'd still have to be mad to go with the temperature, still think I might over the next few weeks.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter

On rivers I always flavour meat using Dynamite "The Source". Bacon Grill is my choice too.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m a fan of bacon grill but have used turmeric to flavour & colour luncheon meat as well as garlic powder - cube the meat into a ziplock bag, add powered, shake to cover and leave in fridge overnight.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter

There's a section on flavouring meat in this vid, hope its what you're looking for

62tucker

Site Supporter
Used to love the bait-tec meats.
Sure I got some strawberry tins in shed somewhere.
32lb catfish liked it. 😉
I think they stopped making it.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^ Aye, a single or double lobworm on a size 4 or 6 hook can take some beating on said above water conditions....(y)
Bacon rhind cut into 5in lengths soaked in Dynamite baits (or BG baits on Ebay) liquid worm..... tougher than a normal lob and you just reflavour it 👍👍