Fixing cracks / cleaning cork

rudd

Site Supporter
Any advice on cleaning, fixing cracks and maintenance of cork handles would be appreciated.
Used to have a guide but cant find it.
Have a few handles that need a tidy up.
One method was ground down cork mixed with glue - cant remember which glue? Anyone know?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Ordinary PVA wood glue mixed with cork dust works well, Carp anglers use cork dust to make pop ups if you cant source any

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
cork dust mixed with pva or any wood glue will do the job as ken said but i use cork mixed with gorilla wood glue . as for cleaning cork handles , i do mine in the bath with an old toothbrush . obviously when the mrs is out lol

rudd

Site Supporter
Cheers everyone, for bigger holes/cracks will craft bits to fit.
Will see if I have pva woodglue for outdoors, have some gorilla glue and plenty of corks!
Will keep me busy on winter nights as will do the whole collection!

rufcuk

Best thing I have every used to clean is a flash magic eraser sponge thing - brought it up almost like new

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Just leave em be..every crack, lump of congealed slime and groundbait stain is a memory. My rod butts are my diary:p

Nicky Dodds

Normal cheap dish washing sponge with the rough green on one side. Couple of drops of washing up liquid also brings cork back to almost new. Brillo pad is good too. If the cork is damaged to the point it needs filling then replace the cork. It can be done without stripping the whole handle.