Fixed rig or not ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If using a feeder running between 2 float stops, would you consider it to be a fixed rig or not ? The stop should be able to come off the line so it should be OK. Always used the loop method, with the loop tied with a sliding knot for the same reason.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Surely a large loaded pellet waggler would be just as bad for a fish to tow around if the line snapped. Just my take on it.

Silver fan 82

I would call it a fixed rig, unless the float stops can easily come off the line. Generally anything above the feeder or lead such as stops or beads make it a fixed rig unless when put under pressure ( in the case of getting snapped off and the fish getting snagged up) the bead can easily allow the feeder to come off of your main line.

rudd

Site Supporter
I would call it a fixed rig, unless the float stops can easily come off the line. Generally anything above the feeder or lead such as stops or beads make it a fixed rig unless when put under pressure ( in the case of getting snapped off and the fish getting snagged up) the bead can easily allow the feeder to come off of your main line.
Use a helicopter safety bead. https://gardnertackle.co.uk/product/covert-safety-beads/

RMNDIL

It's obviously a bit of a grey area as the upper float stop should slip easily under pressure and especially when wet. It will depend on I/D of stop and O/D of line but all those I use slip when pulled against. They're there to stop the feeder slipping down to the rod top when rebaiting etc, to stop rubbish on the line and, yes, sometimes to restrict the feeder movement. But they slip/slide easily when required. I guess it's down to local/fishery rules and their interpretation or take on things.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I never used fixed/semi fixed rigs on commercials anyway plus it was against the rules, on the river I use a semi fixed only to stop the heavy lead moving about on the cast not for a bolt effect, the lead is easily pulled off if snagged.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
If using a feeder running between 2 float stops, would you consider it to be a fixed rig or not ? The stop should be able to come off the line so it should be OK. Always used the loop method, with the loop tied with a sliding knot for the same reason.
While it should be safe as the top stop should slide off if put under pressure if the fishery rules state that "a feeder/lead must be inline, free running with nothing above the feeder/lead" it isn't permissible, Just follow the fishery rules. Many fisheries now also insist that a bead or stop must be used below the feeder and not a swivel that can be pushed into a feeder. ;)