Fixed feeder loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tag

Is the simple fixed feeder loop rig used with a lighter hooklength considered "safe" these days?[?]

Not idealy mate no,imagine you hit into a small skimmer,and it snags the feeder,you snap off at the feeder rather than the hooklength leaving the small skimmer either attatched to the snag and the feeder or leaving it trailing a feeder behind it.Either way its pike fodder.

tag

Thanks thornabyangler, what's the best safe rig then, using a safety clip?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
What I will say about this is, as I often fish the feeder in a loop, I cannot remember snapping off at the feeder ever in such circumstances.

tag

My experience as well Tigerbay, still I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:

simon d

I fish the feeder in the loops rig but always use a hooklength,that way if you get snagged thats what breaks first,im sure its quite safe.
Any other suggestions?

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
Never had any problems fishing this method, the hooklength has always given way first on the very few occasions I have been snapped.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Instead of using a fixed loop try this:

Slip a tiny ring or split ring to the end of your main line
Then slip your feeder on to the main line so effectively you've got the ring sliding up your line first, followed by your feeder
Then tie the end of your main line to the ring using a half blood knot (or similar)

You should now have your feeder sliding in a loop

Then decide how much free movement you want from your feeder and pull the ring up the main line to suit
Pinch the end of the resulting loop and tie a double overhand loop knot into this
Then attach your hooklength to this second loop

What you have is a feeder that is contained within a loop of line but if your mainline snaps the feeder will pull free from it as the line slips through the ring

... have I explained it enough or confused everyone lol?

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
I use the type of rig you mention, but put the feeder on the line first so it is free-running. Then when tying your loops, put a rubber bead inside the big loop. This then acts as a buffer on the knot and when you get a bite, the feeder will hit the knot at the line end of the loop, acting like a bolt rig. Should the need arise, the feeder can slide over the knot and up the line, therefore being free-running and safe.

tag

Many thanks Terry D
I am a bit confused, any chance of a picture please?

Dave I think I follow your idea I've drawn it out on a piece of paper and it looks good to me.

Thanks to all replies.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I just knew someone would ask lol...

Here's one I made earlier [;)]

Datafile11.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.