Fishomania 2019 - Should there be a seperate female qualifier to guarantee a female in the Final?

Should there be a seperate female qualifier to guarantee a female in the Final?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • Not bothered either way

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

dumdum

Positive discrimination is allowed in law, sucks ass being perfectly honest, all because if you don’t employ enough of a certain section of society you will then get chastised by the people who makes issues of such things... there are definitely issues that are worth taking up, but there seems to be a huge overlap now into the realms of bull which definitely isn’t even an issue bar for one very very very very minority group...

Recently apparantly some woman moaned because she had epilepsy and everyone had xmas lights up that flash... cancel Xmas just for here then...

I get hay fever and more people suffer from that condition than epilepsy I suspect, do I ask for all greenhouses to be knocked down as all the gardeners aren’t helping my condition in summer? idiots... the worst thing is it gets airtime somewhere 🙁

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I’m all for them fishing amongst the men in qualifiers and the final. I see its happening in the darts.
I think it’s happening secretly in football, at least I think it is. Surely men don’t roll around like what’s shown on the telly

D

Deleted member 21081

Positive discrimination is allowed in law, sucks ass being perfectly honest, all because if you don’t employ enough of a certain section of society you will then get chastised by the people who makes issues of such things... there are definitely issues that are worth taking up, but there seems to be a huge overlap now into the realms of bull which definitely isn’t even an issue bar for one very very very very minority group...

Recently apparantly some woman moaned because she had epilepsy and everyone had xmas lights up that flash... cancel Xmas just for here then...

I get hay fever and more people suffer from that condition than epilepsy I suspect, do I ask for all greenhouses to be knocked down as all the gardeners aren’t helping my condition in summer? idiots... the worst thing is it gets airtime somewhere 🙁
Positive discrimation is NOT allowed in law.
Positive action is.
Positive discrimation would be awarding someone based on a protected characteristic. Positive action enables statements like ‘people from x background are proportionately under represented so we welcome people from this group’ or advertising which is specifically targeted.
Sport is different to employment law, however. Where there is a demonstrable disadvantage then events can be structured to avoid that, eg women’s tennis tournament. However, in Fishomania, the woman only qualifier qualifies to fish, equally with men in the final, completely undermining any case for a separate event.
I think this Fishomania qualifier is open to legal challenge as I can’t see it being classed as anything other than positive discrimination?
I’m afraid that @stephanie ’s assertion that she will fish both this qualifier and other, non discriminatory, ones demonstrates how flawed the thinking is.
The European qualifier issue is also a concern. Under EU law, and we are still in it, an ‘open’ sporting event should be open, equally, to any EU national. As a defence for the discrimation in the women’s event, clearly two wrongs do not make a right.
It would be very interesting if a British man, say a high profile match man with the ability to win, applied to enter these qualifiers!

stephanie

I can see what your saying about me entering both the female qualifier and some of the others so what would you prefer I enter just the female qualifier and not enter any of the others and not contribute more money to the prize pot or should I just not fish any of the qualifiers at all

D

Deleted member 21081

I can see what your saying about me entering both the female qualifier and some of the others so what would you prefer I enter just the female qualifier and not enter any of the others and not contribute more money to the prize pot or should I just not fish any of the qualifiers at all
Ultimately it is not up to me to a what I would prefer.
However if I was in your position, as a woman, I would feel uncomfortable fishing both. I think I would just fish the regular qualifiers, as I would feel that I’d been handed an unfair and unjust advantage by qualifying through the women’s qualifier.

stephanie

However if I was in your position, as a woman, I would feel uncomfortable fishing both. I think I would just fish the regular qualifiers, as I would feel that I’d been handed an unfair and unjust advantage by qualifying through the women’s qualifier.
Thank you for your opinion

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't see any sense in this. If there is a separate qualifying match for female anglers and one goes on to the final and finishes last, she can still claim to be the highest ranking female participant ! A bit like a one horse race really !

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Stephanie. To answer your question .... I have never fished a qualifier also. I watched First dates last night ( only because the missus likes it you understand ) 😆 and there was a transgender person on there. Hed been paired with a woman who I found was a little condescending. But, what did make me smile was a woman whos date didnt particularly find her attractive so offered to only pay half the bill. You could tell that the young woman wasnt amused. Now, in an age of equality surely women can embrace all that is good / bad about equality ? Not just choosing what they want. I know Im going off topic a little but, I think men and women need to make theirs minds up what they want ...... And get on with it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hi Deleted Member,

This is simply a question I'm not entering unto a debate but, what unfair and unjust advantages is there to being male in a female match ? Are you thinking of strength advantages possibly ? Ill admit now, Ive been beaten twice by women. Once by Wendy Lythgoe and once by Emma Pickering. No shame in that as they are both incredible anglers. Like I say Deleted Member, only a question. 👍

D

Deleted member 21081

Hi Deleted Member,

This is simply a question I'm not entering unto a debate but, what unfair and unjust advantages is there to being male in a female match ? Are you thinking of strength advantages possibly ? Ill admit now, Ive been beaten twice by women. Once by Wendy Lythgoe and once by Emma Pickering. No shame in that as they are both incredible anglers. Like I say Deleted Member, only a question. 👍
I think you misunderstood me Mick.
The unfair advantage is that only women are allowed to compete into one of the routes into the final.
It has nothing to do with the gender of any individual, rather that the format unfairly advantages women.
Equality, by its nature,should apply to all,

D

Deleted member 21081

The unfair advantage is that only women are allowed to compete into one of the routes into the final.
It has nothing to do with the gender of any individual, rather that the format unfairly advantages women.
To add, specifically regarding Stephanie, if she identifies as a woman, that’s fine by me, I would make the same points to any woman.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ok. Sorry. I thought you were thinking of strength issues. I know this will never happen but, whats stopping a lot of men dressing in womens clothes and joining the womens qualifiers ? Money makes folk do some things they wouldnt normally do. What is the purse for the womens final ? Is it £5000 ?

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
I agree with Deleted Member in that if women want equality then it has to work both ways, but if men cannot enter the women's events then where is the equality?
In the case of Stephanie (and this is not a criticism) she has two avenues to potentially reach the Fisho final but the same cannot be said for the men - how can that be equality?
Not only that but one of the avenues is via a significantly reduced participation route.