Fishomania 2019 - Should there be a seperate female qualifier to guarantee a female in the Final?

Should there be a seperate female qualifier to guarantee a female in the Final?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • Not bothered either way

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Following on from this thread: 2019 FISH‘O’MANIA QUALIFIERS ANNOUNCED

In 2019 there will again be 22 UK qualifying matches and for the first time there will be a qualifying match dedicated to female anglers, which will run alongside the open match at Partridge Lakes on Saturday, April 20.

foxy1964

Surely the women who are good enough to compete don't want to be treated separately, it diminishes what equality is all about. fishing is not like tennis where strength can make a massive difference.

You don't say someone is a good female angler or male angler, they are just a good angler.

D

Deleted member 21081

Surely the women who are good enough to compete don't want to be treated separately, it diminishes what equality is all about. fishing is not like tennis where strength can make a massive difference.

You don't say someone is a good female angler or male angler, they are just a good angler.
Utterly correct.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It's fishing not sexism, an angler is an angler . Next it will be for color, creed or crossovers !

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
Will you be able to hear them "grunt" every time they cast in or strike? If so I'm all for it! Just as sexist in my opinion

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I'm a wobbly walker with a coloured badge and if I was a matchmen I'd refuse to take part in a match in that format.

stephanie

so one match is made women only and everyone plays war about it. what about the 2 matches that are held in Europe was there the same uproar created about these matches

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The issue isn't that one match is a women's only match, it is that the winner of that match automatically gets a place in the FishoMania Final.
Considering there are qualifiers up to 300 pegs up and down the country where anyone can apply to fish, the competition for places in the final is extremely stiff. To give someone an unfair advantage and an easy route into the final based on gender is the issue :)

stephanie

but surely the same can be said of the 2 European anglers as uk anglers not allowed to fish there qualifiers either

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You've lost me there as all the qualifiers are at UK venues...

Fish‘O’Mania XXVI Qualifying Matches:
Wed 13th March – Viaduct Fishery, Somerton, 120 pegs
Sat 16th March – Tunnel Barn Farm, Shrewley, 150 pegs
Sat 23rd March – Woodland View Fishery, Droitwich, 130 pegs
Sat 30th March – Moorlands Farm, Kidderminster, 120 pegs

Sat 6th April – Viaduct Fishery, Somerton, 120 pegs
Sat 13th April – Heronbrook Fisheries, Eccleshall, 150 pegs
Wed 17th April – Lindholme Lakes, Epworth, 150 pegs
Sat 20th April – Partridge Lakes, Warrington, 150 pegs plus 50 peg Women’s Qualifier
Wed 24th April – Gold Valley Lakes, Aldershot, 100 pegs

Sat 4th May – Larford Lakes, Astley, 120 pegs
Sat 11th May – Weston Pools, Oswestry 130 pegs
Wed 15th May – Heronbrook Fisheries, Eccleshall, 150 pegs
Sat 18th May – Decoy Lakes, Peterborough, 150 pegs
Wed 29th May – Makins Fishery, Nuneaton, 150 pegs

Sat 1st June – Tunnel Barn Farm, Shrewley, 150 pegs
Sat 8th June – Monk Lakes, Marden, 120 pegs
Wed 12th June – Partridge Lakes, Warrington, 180 pegs
Sat 15th June – Colemans Cottage, Witham, 120 pegs
Wed 19th June – Lake View Fishery, Melton Mowbray, 100 pegs
Sat 22nd June – The Oaks Lakes, Sessay, 130 pegs
Wed 26th June – Lindholme Lakes, Epworth, 180 pegs

stephanie

sorry dave but there are 22 uk qualifiers plus 2 that are held in Europe also giving the 24 finalists total and uk anglers are not allowed to fish them

stephanie

no they are not gender specific but Nathan Watson told me that no uk anglers are allowed to fish either of those qualifiers

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
So, no issues regarding gender there then ? :)

The argument in this debate is the fact that Match Room are creating discrimination by having a female only qualifier which guarantees a female a place in the final.
Had it been a male only qualifier then the feministers would have been up in arms, quite rightly so.

@NathanWatson

stephanie

no in them matches gender does not come into it but you could say they discriminate against an entire nation for 2 places in the final