FishingMagic

DFL

Site Supporter
The owner of the Fish and Fly forum including FishingMagic has just announced that she has sold it to a multi million pound company Verticalscope based in Toronto and the Cayman Islands. A quick Google search tells you the company already operate 800 plus forums and has a reputation, it’s all there to be read.

I never have and still don’t subscribe to mandatory subscriptions but it is clear that privately owned and run forums are on the decline, if you are not a supporter but enjoy this site, give that some thought. 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

bryan white

Site Supporter
Damn..I thought I was buying a large rubber mushroom
I had no idea if it’s real purpose

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Their sole intent appears to be monetarising the forums they purchase by maximising the revenues via advertising.
It will be interesting to watch what becomes of FM once they have their feet under the table. ;)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Their sole intent appears to be monetarising the forums they purchase by maximising the revenues via advertising.
It will be interesting to watch what becomes of FM once they have their feet under the table. ;)
Peter, it's very quiet as it is now
There are around ten regular posters on there and one of those is a sea angler in America.
So like you say it will be interesting to watch what becomes of it .
Will the regulars stay or will they drift off like a few have done over the past 12 months ,and these were good contributors to the forum .
According to one Motorsport forum they have decimated a couple of car forums in the States.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter, it's very quiet as it is now
Mark, I haven't posted on FM since Graham Marsden left (a good few years ago) as I didn't like the direction the forum took subsequently and just look in occasionally nowadays.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Mark, I haven't posted on FM since Graham Marsden left (a good few years ago) as I didn't like the direction the forum took subsequently and just look in occasionally nowadays.
I have been on a few years and noticed s few good posters disappeared over time.
It seems to have gone downhill slowly .
I don't want to appear as if I am having a pop at it ,but for a site that is supposed to be non political , some of the comments on one of the threads make the political section on here seem like a children's book section .

Robwooly

FM has been struggling with post numbers for a while, it has gone very slow, shame really as there's plenty of Drowners on there and vice versa on here, I don't see the stigma of posting on more than one forum and the more forums the better. I think within angling there's room for plenty of variety and various fishing based websites to thrive.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
Peter, I'm the same as you, I've hardly been on FM since Graham left. Virtually all of the main posters left at that time also.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I used to be on there years ago... I've noticed a few members from there have migrated to The Drowners... To be fair and honest... this is the best fishing forum for general and match fishing about... there are other fora which cater for more niche markets, one of which I frequent, but... this is by far the busiest and irreverent...

Long may it continue... Cheers Dave👍

John Step

Site Supporter
I have been on a few years and noticed s few good posters disappeared over time.
It seems to have gone downhill slowly .
I don't want to appear as if I am having a pop at it ,but for a site that is supposed to be non political , some of the comments on one of the threads make the political section on here seem like a children's book sect
There is a no politics unless angling related on there. Certain people are now blatantly getting away with it which is annoying other posters.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember studying in Business that competition, if you can call it that, can also drive growth. Best wishes to all involved as it is us the end user that reaps the benefits.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There is a no politics unless angling related on there. Certain people are now blatantly getting away with it which is annoying other posters.
And it's the same two or three who are doing it with more or less permission of the mod who is also doing it .