Fishing with oils??

HALTON DANGLER

In this weeks vlog i talk over my thoughts on the use of oils in pike fishing in particular but with so many flavours and oils on the market what are your thoughts, do you use them every week, are they to catch the angler or can they be an edge??

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Enjoyed that harder session, thanks Danny.
Though I have had harder, as I'm sure you have!

I have used that "static bait after wobbling" technique , on a very clear canal on a frosty day.
The sprat was brought in to within six feet of the bank, when a decent pike came out of nowhere and almost took it.
But turned away at the last second.
Rather than recast, I just let the sprat sink to the the bottom, squatted down and waited.
The pike approached again, and hovered over the bait for a few seconds. Then its gills flared, it inhaled the bait and sprinted off.
It was a lovely mid double, and probably the most exciting fish capture I've ever experienced.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
A note about oils. Don't overdo it!

Acting on a tip I'd had about carp fishing, I made up a groundbait using mashed tuna in oil, to use in a feeder.
Thinking that I'd enhance the effect, I soaked a load of micropellets in the remaining oil from the tin, to plug the open open ends of the feeder.

I was the only angler on the 5 acre lake, there was a good warm breeze and a nice chop on the water.
It looked promising.
Set up, I loaded the big feeder and cast out.

After a couple of seconds, the depth charge exploded. A large bloop of oil rose to the surface and started to spread. It formed a circle of perfectly flat water covering about a quarter of the lake.
It looked for all the world like a submarine accident, I expected a stricken U-Boat to emerge from the depths at any moment.

"WHAT THE F***?!" from behind me - of course, the bailiff chose that moment to appear.

Sheepishly, I tucked to groundbait away in my bag, and explained what I'd done. :unsure::whistle:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Reading a book by Bob Church (catch more series, anyone remember them?) and he was fishing with a cod liver oil capsule threaded on the shank of his hook.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Have to keep and eye on your pike pro oil, i have a bottle from a couple years ago and the fishy smell is all gone, had to buy another for this winter.

Dslayer

dslayer
A note about oils. Don't overdo it!

Acting on a tip I'd had about carp fishing, I made up a groundbait using mashed tuna in oil, to use in a feeder.
Thinking that I'd enhance the effect, I soaked a load of micropellets in the remaining oil from the tin, to plug the open open ends of the feeder.

I was the only angler on the 5 acre lake, there was a good warm breeze and a nice chop on the water.
It looked promising.
Set up, I loaded the big feeder and cast out.

After a couple of seconds, the depth charge exploded. A large bloop of oil rose to the surface and started to spread. It formed a circle of perfectly flat water covering about a quarter of the lake.
It looked for all the world like a submarine accident, I expected a stricken U-Boat to emerge from the depths at any moment.

"WHAT THE F***?!" from behind me - of course, the bailiff chose that moment to appear.

Sheepishly, I tucked to groundbait away in my bag, and explained what I'd done. :unsure::whistle:

Doesn't do any harm...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Doesn't do any harm...
I think I'd contest that... in the dead of winter where water temps are in low single figures I'd not use oils as the fish are unable to metabolise neat oils

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And with a film of oil on the surface, it must surely prevent oxygen from getting into the water?
My one feeder-full coated a quarter of the lake. With about 20 more potentially to follow.

And that was just me.
In November, and the water cold.

If the method was successful, and others copied it,
In the Summer months, when oxygen levels in the water are low ...
:oops::sick:

squimp

Site Supporter
There is well known tale of some famous trout fly Angler’s who used to cheat by lobbing a tin of sardines (with a couple of small holes in it) over the side of their anchored boat. The oil would gradually form a down wind slick and the trout would then follow the slick upwind... eventually reaching the boat where they promptly got caught !

with regard to your commercial fishery, a little bit of oil in/on your bait isn’t going to do any harm to the fish.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Winterized oils I use for piking and disperse quite quickly, worth squirting in your pellets perhaps?

Branded as pikepro but ignore that, plenty of flavours.