Fishing with Mr Crabree

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I know all about Mr Crabtree, but Mr Cherry? Never heard of him - and he also smokes a pipe! Who's this Jim - where's his pipe?

Didn't realise a split cane and a bit of charred briar were also considered essential bits of kit for 1960's piking, as well as for other coarse fishing.
IIRC, the Daily Mirror owned the rights to the MR Crabtree/Peter characters, so when Bernard began writing a similar series for the Angling Times he had to come up with new names.

I miss my split cane rod, (only ever had the one - though I did have a greenheart fly rod too), but I don't miss my many pipes.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I remember getting those books out of the library in the early 1980s. Even then it was a taste of a world from a different age.

grey

Site Supporter
IIRC, the Daily Mirror owned the rights to the MR Crabtree/Peter characters, so when Bernard began writing a similar series for the Angling Times he had to come up with new names.

I miss my split cane rod, (only ever had the one - though I did have a greenheart fly rod too), but I don't miss my many pipes.
Mr Cherry looks like a totally different character who happens to share Mr Crabtree's wardrobe - Jim however, is clearly the same person as Peter.

Seems like an incredibly complex ménage à trois to me, but weird things like that happened back in the 50s and 60s

How did it end NN Kato? I bet at least one of them turns out to be a priest.

sapperrich

Now that takes me back a bit. Yes, it did start being published in B&W and I was envious of the knowledge that was given. Then when it went to colour...WOW did it look different.
Alright Mate, I've got a copy of said book, I was flicking through it only last weekend. This beautiful book is still one of my favourite angling books. It was given to me as a child by my father.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've only read a few bits and bobs... never had any of the books... never had a Mr Crabtree in my life until I was 16 then I joined a fishing club and one of the lads took me under his wing... Sadly Norman passed away several years ago but he taught me the basics

FadingLikeDecay

I only found out about Mr Crabtree from the Autumn Glory episode of A Passion for Angling on the TV in the 90’s. Never saw a copy in any library I visited although, I did find a copy of the book: Fly Fishing by J.R. Hartley 😂

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Nope, no matter how many times I try I just can't see Mr Crabtree on a seatbox pole fishing shallow for f1's.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
For my sins, I'm a Music teacher.
Don't despair Mr C although I would have quite easily have skipped music in Secondary School, I have embraced an appreciation of classical music later in life and still recall our music teacher playing Handel's Messiah and Water Music to us, so you never know what might stick.......eventually. :)

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
For my sins, I'm a Music teacher.
Reminds me of my school days. Music teacher explaining the mnemonic for the 'white spaces' A C E G with "All Cows Eat Grass".

Whence, from the back of the room, came "Except dead'uns, and them wi lock jaw". Music was never the same after that!