Fishing with a old rod...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Enjoyed that video, thanks Danny!
I now alternate between using my modern gear with the vintage tackle I seem to have been accumulating since I retired.
My first proper rod was a junk shop Alcocks cane rod, and I decided to relive the experience, buying a battered old Floatcaster Deluxe on t'eBay, and restoring it.
Now I regularly use a rod which is 84 years old, courtesy of Gixer13 of this forum. It's a 1937 Hardy 'The Match Roach Rod', and it is a joy to use.
Yes, there were a couple of squeaky bum moments when I hooked a mid double carp, but with gentle handling, it was in the net before it knew what was happening. Then it went ballistic. :D

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Nice one Danny, old gear is pretty much all I use nowadays, like Banksy... I was dabbling with old stuff on Monday... had about 15-18lbs of Roach Perch Bream and Rudd

MarkW

A 30 year old rod seems very old but my Normark Titan 2000 was bought 30 years ago next month and I use it and my other similarly aged (some date to the late 80s) Normarks regularly as well as Daiwa and other rods of similar vintage.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Enjoyed that. I still use my old rods along with a couple of newer ones for both fly and coarse. Wish I'd still got my first 'real' rod, a converted army tank ariel which would land practically anything! My 13' Steadfast Team England Spliced Tip from the mid 70's is my go to stick float rod; at 205 grams it's heavy by modern standards but the balance with either my centrepin or one of my ABU 501's is superb.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A 30 year old rod seems very old but my Normark Titan 2000 was bought 30 years ago next month and I use it and my other similarly aged (some date to the late 80s) Normarks regularly as well as Daiwa and other rods of similar vintage.
I'm fishing with a couple rods that are pushing 60 years old... they still work fine if a little heavy, one of my pins is circa 1936😛

Ivan heaphurst

I use a Diawa Quickstrike for lumps in commies and trotting for Barbel. It handles both and I can give fish a bit of welly. It is a great deal more robust than some modern rods.