Fishing with 1 rod ..... your advice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Just this week I discovered a private fishing venue which is only 10 mins away from where I live, it's not open to the general public... just friends of the owner (he charges 6 which I think is a fair price).

He has 2 ponds which have both been stocked with a variety of fish .... OK... I'll be honest now.. I was so giddy at discovering the venue that I only heard a fraction of the owner was telling me [:I], I know that the ponds contain Carp up to 8 Lbs and they also contain Ide... I have some recollection of him saying that he will shortly be introducing Trout.

He mentioned that the main pond has a max depth of 17', but is generally 12' deep. He also briefly mentioned that luncheon meat is a good bait for the Carp.

Thing is .... he only allows 1 rod per person, now I'm thinking that unless there's plenty of action I'm going to get bored with legering.. you know, just sitting and waiting etc.

So maybe the best option will be float fishing ?, well I'm very much a novice with the float and I'd really appreciate some tips etc.... should I just fish with maggot ? will this be a tempting bait for most types of fish ? or would I be better targeting Carp ?.

Sorry this is a bit jumbled, I'll try to get more info on the venue and make things easier for you guys.

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

aa1.gif

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

Stu

Cant drink anymore
All Reet Andy
You can only fish with one rod, but there is nothing stopping you from having another two set up for use with different baits.

Stu
Tyke-Avatar.jpg
***L.U.F.C.***
an14.gif

Last edited:

AndyA

"Blackadder style" ..... Hhhmmmmm.... a cunning plan Baldrick !!!![}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

aa1.gif

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Andy, to fish 12 to 17ft with the float if you've not got a pole you need to use the slider or get yourself a "Polaris float".

try the feeder and vary the hook baits, its a bit of trial & error to see what works,

in the summer when the water warms up you'll catch fishing shallow with the float, or on the surface with floater baits,

but like Stu says theres nothing to stop you setting 2 or 3 rods up to fish different methods and see which is more productive on the day,

Datafile3.asp

teepee.

BlythMags

To keep the 'one rod' fishing interesting, I would always use a polaris float - which finds the depth of the swim automatically.

You know you're on the bottom, and have a float to stare at all day.

Alternatively, as teepee suggsted, you can fisg a slider to allow you to vary the depth that you're fishing at.

I personally don't understand this one rod rule - I prefer to have one rod on feeder (yawn, boring - but keeps things ticking over) and a waggler to watch.

Alan G

Slick

'eyebrows'
as a newcomer to match rules (can you guess) why one rod only, everyone could have the option to use as many as they could control, is it just the pole users that insist on it because it would be difficult for them. They surely have an advantage in any case. lets have the thoughts of other rod users.

fair deal for all

G

Slick, i think you have the wrong end of the stick mate,

Its seems to be a rule of the owner to fish with one rod,

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,

The Tangler

I fish a few places that have the 1 rod rule and its never stoped me putting fish on the bank.

Try this.

Start by baiting up a couple of aeras and fishing on the feeder, have a float rod setup ready if you get nothing on the feeder after an hour or so and use it to fish your baited areas.

baits like maggot, worm or corn will catch most fish so make sure you have them as well as meat etc.

Watch your baited areas for signs of feeding fish ie; bubbles, stured up mud, if close to reeds then reeds moving.

Any of these signs show try using your float in those areas.

What you have to remember is being a new place to fish for you it may take a few trips to find out what the fish will take and what times are best so don't go thinking your going to bag up on the first trip.

Try diff baits in diff areas and diff styles.

And remember no matter what ENJOY.

Pete

carper2002

'Ronnie'
treat it as match practise you can only use one at a time in a match
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Slick

'eyebrows'
A lot of fishery owners seem to invent rules to protect their fish from being caught, or make angling as dificult as possible
with restrictions on baits, rods, ground bait etc, the only option is to boycott the fishery if you dont agree. I'm sure the past owner of Eden Meadows (Beaumont) was responsible for a downturn in the number of anglers using the venue. Toma will verify that many anglers have discussed the venue in Anglers Choice and all commented what a pain in the horse he was and they would not go back, despite it being one of the few good waters around here.

Does your father ever catch anything

BlythMags

Heard a lot of bad reports about the last owner of Eden Meadows.

I fished there a couple of weeks ago and the new owner's a lot more leniant - just as long as you look after the welfare of the fish (no big carp or bream in nets) and clear your rubbish away when you leave.

It's a nice venue to spend a day fishing and I'll be returning in the next month or so.

Alan G

AndyA

quote:To keep the 'one rod' fishing interesting, I would always use a polaris float - which finds the depth of the swim automatically.
How does a Polaris float work ?, does the weight of the bait/shot drop the hook to the bottom?

aa1.gif

AndyA

Thanks for the info guy's, I paid a visit Wed 19.3.03 and it turned out that the owner let me use 2 rod's anyway.

Here's a couple of pics of one of the ponds.

Datafile3.asp

Datafile3.asp

MALC

Cracking looking water AndyA.

How did you do.[?]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

brady

its a shame i couldnt see a float in the picture i could have watched it all night [:D][:D][:D]

the devil created work to stop me fishing!

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
AndyA, you sly bu...r are you going to tell us where these ponds are or are you going to leave us all guessing. My guess is they look remarkably like the ponds at the back of the Chevin Lodge Hotel on top of Otley Chevin.....O K so the owner let you use 2 rods after all, but did you catch owt ???

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

iobrien2002

Paddy
i wish i could use those lakes. they look beautiful and i bet they fish like a treat

I'm taking my ball and going home

AndyA

Hi gang, the ponds are nice aren't they ?, the photo's make them look bigger than they actually are though.

I ended up with 7 Carp (mirrors & common) but I'm afraid nothing bigger than about 1.5 lbs max, also 20+ Rudd but I got fed up with fishing for those as they were just about jumping onto the hook before it hit the water.

Datafile3.asp

Datafile3.asp

Datafile3.asp

The owner is having the ponds netted within the next fortnight and removing most of the small Rudd (there are thousands), he's having some Brown Trout introduced (swap for the Rudd) to provide a bit of Fly fishing for those who are interested.

Later in the afternoon Don (the owner) brought me a mug of Coffee and we spent some time chatting about how the pond you see in the photo's used to be a bog, he had a Jcb excavate it (cost him just short of 50,000 [:0]), the depth of the pond is staged from 5-6 feet a rod's length from the peg down to 17 feet at it's deepest point.

After a while Don had decided he wanted to show me hop to catch the bigger Carp (biggest in pond is approx 8lb), so I happily passed him my float rod and several chunks of Sensa luncheon meat, well I left the venue feeling quite chuffed with my catches... Don didn't managed to convert any bites to fish on the bank [;)].

I'm going again a week on Friday with a friend, I'll let you know how we do.

P.S
The main problem I was experiencing on this venue was that the Rudd / silverfish had a veracious appetite, any bait such as Maggot, breadflake, etc was eventually devoured by the greedy git's in next to no time (I was trying this bait for the Carp as the meat wouldn't stay on the hair rig). Sweetcorn would stay on but the b*****s were trying to eat that too.... float was bobbing like a thing possesed [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.