Fishing where weed is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col7777

My question:

I visited a lake recently with the prospect of fishing it, the water was fairly clear and I could see a lot of weed growing, some looked like rhubarb leaves not sure what it's called but it was prolific.
There were people fishing but the weed put me off, I was wondering how to present the bait, it would be lost in all the weed plus possible snags too?

Col7777

The lake I went to was one of a new club I've recently joined, plus I usually fish a bit far out.
I'm sure others would have done it if it were allowed I don't know.

getfishing

Pete
I normally just fish maggots for the silvers other it but for fishing on the bottom rake a swim and just fish closer in, the fish will come to the raking

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Col let the fish do the work for you. Pre-bait for a couple of weeks and fish over the top.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
Can you fish the pole? If you set your float up as a slider you can lower it through a hole in the weed. You only want the bulk shot about 6inches above the hook. You'd have to see how snaggy the weed was when you hooked something. You don't say whats in the lake. If there are tench then these can easily be caught on the inside, only a few metres out.

cess monkey

A lake near where i live is choked with weed and if you run the drag through it a couple of times to create a small clear spot the tench love it. Unfortunately someone went mad with the dragging and opened up some huge areas of open water, the fish dont like to venture into. So i`d say try to fish round the weed, if you can`t, take out only as much as you need to to be able to get a bait to the bottom.

crusty

Originally posted by svenc

Col let the fish do the work for you. Pre-bait for a couple of weeks and fish over the top.

[:T] If there's carp to any size they'll clear a good sized area in a few days for a pint of hemp a night.

Ian

crusty

Originally posted by flukebox

fishing is more fun with some weed

:O)

But then you spend most your time down the 24hr petrol station buying chocolate.

Ian

flukebox

Originally posted by crusty

Originally posted by flukebox

fishing is more fun with some weed

But then you spend most your time down the 24hr petrol station buying chocolate.

Ian

nah

but i do make a mean hot chocolate brew at about 1, 3, 5 and 7am

nobby478

miserable old ....
There is a grass stalk rig on another fishing sites 'rig' pages designed for just this sort of snaggy swim Col.

I won't mention the sites name but it is Magic.[;)]

If the mods think it is OK ,I could post a link? But basically it's a paternoster rig, weight on the deck and bait up in the water.

bream tracker

made in stockport
are you after carp col,zig or chod should work or have a look around with a bomb for clear spots or carp kitchens as they are known,also flattened weed known as carp motorways and fish a chod rig.
if you dont mind me asking where is it
cheers

getfishing

Pete
You don't have to feeder fish, try a float rig after you've raked the swim, the fish will start feeding there straight away because of all the natural food released from the weed, so the fish will most likely be there while you're still raking. Then lob out some hemp, sweetcorn, an assortment of pellets and whatever else. Maybe use 6/8lb line straight through to a good strong hook of the right size for your bait. Use something like a peacock waggler as set it up like the diagram. Click the link and the diagram is there.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/chavender/fishing%20stuff/Float%20Fishing/Still%20Water%20Floats/lift1.jpg

Last edited:

nobby478

miserable old ....
That's a lovely little illustration.

I was doing just the same the night before last, some were sail-away bites, some were proper lift bites and all because there was a bit of a tow on due to incoming water and I couldn't keep my float still, I needed to anchor the bait down.

Best evenings fishing in ages, certainly the best so far this year[:)]

Prawn segment on a size 14 Maver MT4 did it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.