Fishing wagon? Recommendations wanted.

tonerain

Site Supporter
I have a Motability car. Give up £285 per month of my Disability Living Allowance in order to receive a new car every 3 years.
All it costs me is the petrol I put in it. It's a good deal, in my opinion.

BUT, I've had my current Mokka for 2 and a half years and in that time it's only done 9,200 miles.
Cannot help thinking that maybe I'd be better off buying a 2nd hand car/SUV and running that rather than renewing my Motability car in February of next year.
Maybe spending £5000/£6000.

I like the higher driving position of the Mokka, so that would be a "would like" on any car I may buy.
And I've got used to an auto gearbox now. All the other things available on new cars, I can do without.

I know there are car experts on here, so I'm asking for recommendations for suitable vehicles.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I had a Volvo V70 for the last six years. Tons of space & automatic. Appreciate you may not have the height but you could always look for an Volvo XC90.
I recently changed to a Mondeo. Lots of space but it's been murder getting used to driving a manual again.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
... I recently changed to a Mondeo. Lots of space but it's been murder getting used to driving a manual again.

Hee hee ...

Yes, like coming up to a roundabout or T junction, and just using the brake to stop, forgetting about that clutch thing and the gear stick?
You come to a kangaroo halt, and everybody else thinks "IDIOT"!

Happens every time I get a manual courtesy car while mine's being serviced or repaired yet again.

:LOL:

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I knew someone who had a Qashqai and later a Skoda Yeti on Motability. Both were fishing-suitable although the Quashqai was apparently rather thirsty.
I personally run an '06 Honda CR-V and can't recommend them enough. "Boringly reliable" was how one mechanic described it. Only drawbacks are MPG is about 35 on a run, and Tax is over £300 p.a.

Simon R

Site Supporter
My last two cars have been Hyundai - IX35 and most recently a Tucson
Tucson is 1,7 Diesel - tax is £20/year and mpg around 42 Mon-Fro and 50 on a weekend - IX35 was the same engine so very similar figures

You'll probably struggle to get a Tucson for your budget but the IX35 is very similar - about an inch narrower and two inches shorter.
I think the automatic was only available with the larger 2 litre engine and switchable 4WD which will obviously be a little more to tax and not return such good mpg figures
In case you're wondering what they look like: HYUNDAI IX35 2.0 PREMIUM CRDI 4WD 5d AUTO 181 BHP

Simon

BTMS

Site Supporter
Volvo Est XC70 Auto takes a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of gear. ex mobility I bought it auction. Goes anywhere no fancy gear inside (less to go wrong)

nejohn

Site Supporter

My mate has one of these as his fishing wagon, get the back seats down and it is absolutely huge inside consdering it is only a medium sized car, he has had it a couple of years now and done nothing to it apart from the usual tyres brake pads etc. It is cheap to run and service (I can vouch for resonable servicing costs as until a month ago both myself and Kathy both had mercs and they were brilliant). It is very comfortable and drives really well plus if needed it brushes up very well if you need it to

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Hee hee ...

Yes, like coming up to a roundabout or T junction, and just using the brake to stop, forgetting about that clutch thing and the gear stick?
You come to a kangaroo halt, and everybody else thinks "IDIOT"!

Happens every time I get a manual courtesy car while mine's being serviced or repaired yet again.

:LOL:
This - absolutely.

Somersetlad

Can you buy the Mokka, it's low mileage and you know it. If you're happy with it, it could be real bargain, Motability will only send it to auction.

tonerain

Site Supporter
If you only want to use it for fishing just buy a £1000 van. A lot less things to go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion, lp, but it won't be just a fishing wagon. :)
Also, automatic vans are thin on the ground.

tonerain

Site Supporter
Can you buy the Mokka, it's low mileage and you know it. If you're happy with it, it could be real bargain, Motability will only send it to auction.

Thanks, Somersetlad, I'll certainly be asking for a price when the time comes.