Fishing Trolley Puncture Repair

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
(or "The best laid plans...")

My trolley has had a puncture (possibly more than one) for well over a year. I have been putting it off and putting it off until today I relented and bought a puncture repair kit and set to it. Some time in the dim and distant past I had bought two new wheels, so I dug them out of the shed. I was a little surprised to find I had left them in pieces in a carrier bag. I must have used the inner tubes as replacements previously. Why didn't I just replace the whole wheels? I wondered. (They come pre-assembled). But I didn't give it a lot of thought. I was on a mission. So out came wheels, inner tubes and tyres. Not being completely daft, I inflated the tubes and tested for leaks. Sure enough one of them was bubbling when under water. Out with the trusty new puncture repair kit.

Repairing the puncture was a cinch. Thanks Dad for showing me how to fix one on my bike when I was a kid. Next came the assembly. This was not so easy. I tried every which way to get the tyre over the wheel rims, and I think I invented about fifteen new swear words while doing it. But eventually, in a burst of sweat and exasperation they popped into place. Out came the pump and a good few elbows full of psi were delivered. Wheels sorted. Now for the swap.

Over winter the trolley had been used as an extra storage place in the shed. So I had to unload it first and find alternative homes for its various bits. That done I whipped out a spanner, undid the axle nut an removed one wheel. I slotted on one of the newly repaired wheels and...... Oh dearie me! - The wheels were slightly the wrong size for the axle. Not much, maybe 2mm diameter larger, but they also had a recessed hub on one side, making them at least half an inch too short as well. Maybe THAT is why I only used the tubes last time!

The newly repaired wheels went back in the bag and back in the shed fully assembled and inflated. The trolley got its old wheels back the same as before, and I will think about repairing the tubes in those wheels another time.

:rolleyes:

Reuben

Site Supporter
I usually just buy another wheel...The next time one goes the trolley’s getting ditched - it’s 15 or so years old anyway - & I’m getting the wheel kit from Penrose for my platform.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
on my old boss box wheels, which have tubes to,

I filled them with expanding foam, now they are solid tyred and puncture proof
I had a puncture on my boss box last summer. Both wheels have has repairs over the years unit I double tubed them and put some of that sealing gunk inside. Anyway took the tyre off and it was that perished, with the canvas falling to bits on the inside . These tyres are the originals, so nearly 30 years old. I looked on EBay and bought two complete wheels with solid foam tubes, so no more problems. By the time I had bought a pair of normal inner tubes , it was only about a £10er extra for the wheels.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you not put a piece of metal tube as a spacer or pile of washers on the axle stubs to pad the wheel out?

ae111sr

Site Supporter
I had a puncture on my boss box last summer. Both wheels have has repairs over the years unit I double tubed them and put some of that sealing gunk inside. Anyway took the tyre off and it was that perished, with the canvas falling to bits on the inside . These tyres are the originals, so nearly 30 years old. I looked on EBay and bought two complete wheels with solid foam tubes, so no more problems. By the time I had bought a pair of normal inner tubes , it was only about a £10er extra for the wheels.
Do you have a link to where you got them?

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Can you not put a piece of metal tube as a spacer or pile of washers on the axle stubs to pad the wheel out?
It did cross my mind. But I'd also need something to compensate for the bore diameter difference. New wheels are probably the best option. But I'll get the right size this time! :)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Do you have a link to where you got them?
Preston Innovations space shuttle wheels fit the Boss box, they give a little more ground clearance and are puncture proof. just slide wheel and bracket from boss boss and replace with PI wheels and bracket,

adriang

Site Supporter
Preston Innovations space shuttle wheels fit the Boss box, they give a little more ground clearance and are puncture proof. just slide wheel and bracket from boss boss and replace with PI wheels and bracket,
I bet they would be really good on a Boss box....

Rick123

Site Supporter
Pop it into your local garage that sell tyres. They did mine for me, cost a £5 tip for the guy, done in minutes. I don't know what they did, but its still up and working.