Fishing today (weather)

Zerkalo

I have no idea how this stretch of the Severn fishes throughout the year but I'm hopeful it holds a few more fish than the slower stretch at Stourport at this time as a lot of small fish were topping when I went Barbel fishing which made me think I had to at least try float fishing on this stretch.

Picked up some B520 hooks today too as I wanted a whisker barb, they are quite small for the sizes, 16, 18 and 20, I got them in. I'm now just hoping I find a comfortable peg downstream there. When I go into my usual tackle shop they usually ask me where I'm going and where I've been and how I got on but I get the impression they don't fish the rivers much themselves.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
You can have a great day targeting roach dace chublet on light gear, just don't put in loads bait 5-10 Maggots a cast to start see how it goes, you can up the feed as you go, can't take it out.

Zerkalo

This is something I've wondered about when the swim goes dead the few times I've been trotting. Do I keep putting the bait in? I've just put less in, a few grains of hemp and a few maggots/casters. Even trying a few runs through without feeding, don't want to overdo it, so seems good advice!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
If the line your fishing goes iffy it might need a rest and start a new one another rod or two lenth out or a feeder if that's an option but keep dripping in a bit of feed on your original line you can always drop back on it later.

rudd

Site Supporter
Sunny/cloudy etc. here and very warm.
Breeze getting up as I tap and rain forcast all afternoon starting in about half an hour!
Did a twelve hour session yesterday so think a miss is best action today!
Not a drop so far! Lure rods out later.

Zerkalo

Yeah it's not actually raining here either, hope it does though so it doesn't store up and the forecast changes for tomorrow. Good luck on the lures.

ATTICUS FINCH

been pretty miserable darn sarf today drizzle or hard rain for most of it ,dosent look like clearing up either ,pretty much set in for a while ,plants need it though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Constant rain since 2 here now. Should be good for the river as it has rather fallen out of good nick in the last few days.

And yeah I’d echo the advice above, always have 2 or even sometimes 3 lines for trotting as you can jump between them as and when you need to. Have a primary line that sees most of your attention but also feed the other for when you need to swap between them.

Zerkalo

I'll try tomorrow, would be nice to be able to set up a waggler and a stick float (might end up just fishing waggler after all depending on peg) but I only have the one suitable rod for it at the moment (edit - here's a thought - I might take my 12' Tricast Waggler rod to fish the waggler).

I've thought about it some more and despite being quite excited I'm expecting Bleak and Perch central but you never know.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
That's the joy of it @Zerkalo you never know when your float fishing, it could be one a chuck small stuff then all of a sudden something much bigger.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Take hemp or small pellets as well as if the bleak are bad you won’t catch much else on maggot lol

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
well, that rain that was holding off, didnt,

its been a lousy day, drizzly and dark,

nejohn

Site Supporter
I'll try tomorrow, would be nice to be able to set up a waggler and a stick float (might end up just fishing waggler after all depending on peg) but I only have the one suitable rod for it at the moment (edit - here's a thought - I might take my 12' Tricast Waggler rod to fish the waggler).

I've thought about it some more and despite being quite excited I'm expecting Bleak and Perch central but you never know.
Unless I know differently I will always have at least 2 rods set up 1 each waggler and stick, but more often than not it will be usually 2 stick (13ft for close in and longer rod for further out) and 1 waggler. Then if one line goes dead it is very easy to switch to another line

Zerkalo

I might use my 13-17ft rod at 17ft for the first time tomorrow depending on peg.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I want to get to that stage as well john which us why im eventually going to get a 14ft acolyte to go with my current 13ft. I thought i'd use my CR10 on the river in conjunction with my acolyte but used side by side it just doesnt feel as nice so going to be another acolyte purchase at some point. More of a nice to have than a need to have though really as the thames around here is fine for the waggler in most places at most times but just be nice to have the option.

Zerkalo

The rod I got, from a kind member on here, Shakespeare LXL Super Team, has been pretty much ideal for what I needed to get me started at 13ft. Nice and light action to me, so you can fish for silvers on the river.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t think it’ll be light at 17ft! I can’t really get on with 15ft let alone 17ft. Just seems so different to 13 or 14 ft but guess it depends what you are used to.

Zerkalo

Yeah 17ft with any rod I think is going to be a stretch but I will try it eventually. It's the action that is surprisingly light though, can feel a little roach or perch thumping on the end quite nicely!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s not a rod I’m familiar with but think older Shakespeare gear is generally pretty good. Seems with the demise of the agility range they’ve stopped making decent tackle now just budget stuff. The ugly stick range is fairly decent of their budget stuff but can’t say that for the rest.