Fishing today (weather)

Zerkalo

Does not look like it’s happening today save for those of us who have matches? Reason being, rain and thunderstorms predicted for later. I’m still going to go to the tackle shop to get 2 pints of maggots, 2 pints of casters for some stick float fishing on a slightly faster stretch of the Severn tomorrow. I’ve been advised to start out keeping my shotting pattern as simple as possible, perhaps just using a bulk above the hooklength and a light stick. Does it look any better weather wise in your neck of the woods?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Pretty bad here over the next 3 days but the Thames is starting to need the rain so it’s fairly welcome. Doesn’t look like it’s nice again until Wednesday so that’s when I’ll be roaching again. Tuesday looks bearable so might have a short session then but probably just wait until Wednesday for a proper go.

Zerkalo

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 10.30.56.png

That's my forecast but I can bet it will probably rain tomorrow looking at that. It will likely be busy tomorrow but the pegs I'm heading for are a bit of a walk and a bit deeper so don't tend to attract as many Barbel anglers. I would have been there this evening save for the thunderstorms as I have a solitary 'viewing' to do for a letting agent in Northfield, Birmingham at 12 today, that will pay for my bait for 15 minutes 'work' including driving.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
its as dark as a witches bush here at the mo, you can feel the rain coming

riddled off the caster from my maggot earlier, added new sawdust, they will be for monday no probs

got soaked through last sunday, took me a good day to recover from the achey bones

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Just gray here in mid dorset, expect some light rain, could do with a few days of persistent rain give the river a flush.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Grey and spitting a little bit here at the moment.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Does not look like it’s happening today save for those of us who have matches? Reason being, rain and thunderstorms predicted for later. I’m still going to go to the tackle shop to get 2 pints of maggots, 2 pints of casters for some stick float fishing on a slightly faster stretch of the Severn tomorrow. I’ve been advised to start out keeping my shotting pattern as simple as possible, perhaps just using a bulk above the hooklength and a light stick. Does it look any better weather wise in your neck of the woods?
My advice would be if you have not used the stick float before is to stick with a simple 'shirt button' shotting pattern and if you think you will need a 4 no 4 stick then start off with a 6 no 4, I think you might find it easier to cast and control until you get used to the method, also pick a peg where you don't have to cast more than a couple of rod lengths and there is a steady flow (not to slow) make things as simple as possible until you get more confident. Once you master it it's a great way to fish

rudd

Site Supporter
Sunny/cloudy etc. here and very warm.
Breeze getting up as I tap and rain forcast all afternoon starting in about half an hour!
Did a twelve hour session yesterday so think a miss is best action today!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s not been as bad here as forecast. Rained up until 11 but none since although looks like more is coming. Warm but pretty windy as well though.

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Don’t see what the problem is myself apart from the Lightening , much better conditions than when it’s bright and all the clowns are out , then again I’m not a fair weather angler .

stikflote

Site Supporter
Came down very hard here for about half an hour,dry again now,
and i had washing on the line damn it

Zerkalo

I went to two tackle shops near me and no casters in so just maggots and hemp tomorrow, still excited.

My advice would be if you have not used the stick float before is to stick with a simple 'shirt button' shotting pattern and if you think you will need a 4 no 4 stick then start off with a 6 no 4, I think you might find it easier to cast and control until you get used to the method, also pick a peg where you don't have to cast more than a couple of rod lengths and there is a steady flow (not to slow) make things as simple as possible until you get more confident. Once you master it it's a great way to fish

Yeah I'm going to experiment and see what I can get away with, got a good range of sticks from 4x4 upwards to play with.

Don’t see what the problem is myself apart from the Lightening , much better conditions than when it’s bright and all the clowns are out , then again I’m not a fair weather angler .

It's the lightning otherwise I would have considered it, the banks on the Severn were I'm going aren't quite as treacherous as some places when it's raining.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If I could pick the weather every fishing day would be about 20-22 degrees, overcast and no more than maybe 5-6mph wind but I’d much rather fish in bright and sweltering weather than get soaked and/or get your head blown off!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher no no no, it's winter time 8-10 degrees overcast bit of flow and colour, get the fish shoal up and line em up, summer there way to mobile up in the water, harder to concentrate and catch.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I went to two tackle shops near me and no casters in so just maggots and hemp tomorrow, still excited.

Yeah I'm going to experiment and see what I can get away with, got a good range of sticks from 4x4 upwards to play with.

It's the lightning otherwise I would have considered it, the banks on the Severn were I'm going aren't quite as treacherous as some places when it's raining.
Go to Smithies in Longbridge, he has the best casters and maggots.

Zerkalo

Go to Smithies in Longbridge, he has the best casters and maggots.

I drove past it today stupidly. :( Even considered putting Mal Storey's shop in Halesowen in my Sat Nav on the way back but didn't, just went to my usual ones in Stourbridge and ended up with 3 pints of maggots.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I drove past it today stupidly. :( Even considered putting Mal Storey's shop in Halesowen in my Sat Nav on the way back but didn't, just went to my usual ones in Stourbridge and ended up with 3 pints of maggots.
Mate, on top of the quality bait, Scott will tell you all the best places to fish the Severn, a lot of the river anglers are in there every week for bait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Fugley-fisher to be fair you do have a slightly different river to contend with to me. Thames is very much a June to November river the fish are either very hard to find or in the fields after that lol

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Silverfisher it's a very different river mate, and no two days fish the same and is being difficult at the mo, glad to see the rain had some steady rain for a few hours now Just another day or two's worth would help.