Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

fishcatcher4

I don't assume you are stupid - why should you assume all others are?

I do not so do not accuse me of it!!

As far as shopping on line for food goes how many hands do you think it has been through before it get's to you.

You are on one hand trying to minimise the risk to you by shopping on line but are willing to up the risk (no matter how small) just to go fishing.

I accept it's everybodies own decision but do not accuse me of something i did not say.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I do not so do not accuse me!!

As for shopping for food online how many hands do you think it has been touched by before it gets to you.

You in one sentence are doing what you can to avoid catching the virus and then on the other are going fishing but it's your decision.

It only takes one person on the lake to be asymptomatic to pass it on to someone else.
I give up on this but one final word for deliveries you can leave them outside to air then disinfect them so admittedly about the same risk as handling them in a supermarket. But if you go to a supermarket you have the added risk of being around people (and odds are a couple will have it in a decent sized supermin an enclosed space as well which is the biggest risk. We’re proof that you can still get caught out by deliveries but it’s much less likely to happen than going to a supermarket.

Then for the one person on a lake (would need 40-50 people to be there to be odds on of having someone there with it) especially an asymptomatic person unless they get close to you for a reasonable length of time they’re phenomenally unlikely to infect you.

It’s pretty telling that sports teams are playing matches with asymptomatic players who have not infected the opposition during the match but then passed it onto their team mates in the changing rooms, gyms etc before and afterwards. That to me really does illustrate what the scientists are saying when they say you are many times safer outside than inside.

Its all a case of probability but you can’t say people are being irresponsible for taking risks that are minuscule. By all means have a go at those knobs that are not distancing, not sanitising, mixing with others etc as they are taking genuine high risks as opposed to those recreating outside on their own where they chance of catching it is more the equivalents in terms of the odds to winning a bet on Leeds to win the league!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
As for the risks of accepting delivered food - we sanitise before handling it and wash our hands after. However, it's quite clear that the main method of transmission is via water droplets expelled inside buildings, or by physically touching skin.

PS. Fishcatcher - I doubt I shall go fishing before the lockdown ends, but I defend the right of other people to do so. If it helps their mental state then it does the job the government is hoping for.

Everything we do at the moment is a compromise between what we would like to do and what is sensible.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Which bit don't you understand?

For clarity if you are struggling here are my notes:

What's the definition of Local? - The basic rule is if you have to travel outside of your local area you have gone too far.

Why can't we Match fish? - Because organised sporting gatherings are not allowed.

Are Keepnets allowed? - Is that a serious question?

Why can't we Night fish? - Because it does not fall within Daily exercise.

From a legal aspect fishing is allowed for exercise. If you have to travel further than you would if you were to do some other form of exercise then legally you should do that instead.

There will always be an element of elasticity in the rules, however people need to be sensible in how they adopt them.

The reality is the police can now stop you, ask you where you are from, where you are going, and turn you around or issue you with a fixed penalty.

The more anglers that get stopped, the more incidents will be reported, the more likely we'll see a total ban and no further negotiations.

If some decide to say screw it - they will screw it up for everyone else, this is without question.

Feel free to copy, paste, print, them if it helps
Can we use keepnets at night 35.5 miles away ,asking for a friend 😇😇😇😇😇😇

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You've also got to ask how airbourne is the new variant - no one knows for sure how it is more contagious - food for thought
Ive always thought it to be airborne ,1 10000th of an inch in size 🤔, given gusts of wind or very windy days 😳

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I posted that a while back on the FB group in answer to a now ex-member's post and was shot down by a load of vitriol

nejohn

Site Supporter
I know its a pain for us Welsh anglers but the rule in Wales stating you can only walk or cycle to a venue has for most people meant no fishing or just a short walk away only.....the Welsh government is not saying angling is unsafe but is more concerned about more cars on the roads that are not needed when our NHS is overrun.....I know its unlikely but having an accident on the way to wet a line that results in taking up NHS time at this time seems selfish to me.....we should all just accept hobbies of all sorts should stop for just a month or two until the NHS is past this period....how would you feel if one of your loved ones was turned away from hospital with covid or other serious illness due to fisherman,golfers cyclists amateur footballers coggling up A and E with bumps scrapes and other ailments...the AT has got this very very wrong
Just driven past the mcdonalds roundabout at pontypool on my way home from visiting the office and there was an absolute massive Que all the way round the roundabout and half way to pontypool for the mcdonalds drive through causing absolute chaos on the road..... So people can drive to collect a burger but we can't put a bit of kit in the car and drive a mile or 2 to go fishing or even to go for a walk in open countryside. Not saying we should be allowed to drive to fish but I think driving to collect a takeaway from some outlets should be seriously looked at

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My local lake has a fresh air swipe card entry and you can move the gate as required with the top of your boot. Quite easy to sit sixty feet
apart never mind six, loads of parking room also, no public so no dog walkers and no need to get close to another person.

Me and bint have been managing the freezer for bread and millock along with the usual tinned type emergency stuff and got our {well my}
Tesco visits down to once every three weeks. Fresh mask, usual sanitising along with plastering my nostrils and lips with sanitizer plus all the
stuff gets wiped upon arrival home then yet another face and handwashing performance.

I just wish going to Tesco was as safe as going fishing.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Just driven past the mcdonalds roundabout at pontypool on my way home from visiting the office and there was an absolute massive Que all the way round the roundabout and half way to pontypool for the mcdonalds drive through causing absolute chaos on the road..... So people can drive to collect a burger but we can't put a bit of kit in the car and drive a mile or 2 to go fishing or even to go for a walk in open countryside. Not saying we should be allowed to drive to fish but I think driving to collect a takeaway from some outlets should be seriously looked at
I’ve noticed that.
No police turning people away from their ‘essential’ McD’s, they’re too busy lying in wait for walkers at country parks... 🙄

CarpCatcher86

I don't understand why this thread is so long. You can go fishing within reason and instead of doing so, everyone is choosing to sit talking about fishing rather than actually fishing. Yes I know it's a bit cold right now before you all wet your pants at once.

Total

Site Supporter
I don't understand why this thread is so long. You can go fishing within reason and instead of doing so, everyone is choosing to sit talking about fishing rather than actually fishing. Yes I know it's a bit cold right now before you all wet your pants at once.
Pssssst!......The clue is in the word 'Forum';):p;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's 21:55pm - no night fishing - haven't you been paying any attention ?

Paul.P

I think this whole thing is ridiculas, how the hell can fishing be regarded as exercise, of course it isn't, it might be good for some of our mental, states but exercise it isn't !, also, what the hell does stay local mean, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles ?, if your gonna make a rule at least be specific, state a distance & then at least we all know where we stand. Some of you may well think this is great, but my fear is that some won't live to regret it, & to those idiots that don't think this thing is real, go & volunteer to work on a covid ward, but of course you won't !

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
CC - Will you be going fishing or will you just try to get bites on here ;) ?

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I think this whole thing is ridiculas, how the hell can fishing be regarded as exercise, of course it isn't, it might be good for some of our mental, states but exercise it isn't !, also, what the hell does stay local mean, 1 mile, 5 miles, 10 miles ?, if your gonna make a rule at least be specific, state a distance & then at least we all know where we stand. Some of you may well think this is great, but my fear is that some won't live to regret it, & to those idiots that don't think this thing is real, go & volunteer to work on a covid ward, but of course you won't !
Don’t think you can volunteer specifically to work in a Covid Ward but you probably know best.