Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jamie Cook and Martin Salter are doing a broadcast at 6:00pm

I'll post it on MD's once it's concluded

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I know its a pain for us Welsh anglers but the rule in Wales stating you can only walk or cycle to a venue has for most people meant no fishing or just a short walk away only.....the Welsh government is not saying angling is unsafe but is more concerned about more cars on the roads that are not needed when our NHS is overrun.....I know its unlikely but having an accident on the way to wet a line that results in taking up NHS time at this time seems selfish to me.....we should all just accept hobbies of all sorts should stop for just a month or two until the NHS is past this period....how would you feel if one of your loved ones was turned away from hospital with covid or other serious illness due to fisherman,golfers cyclists amateur footballers coggling up A and E with bumps scrapes and other ailments...the AT has got this very very wrong
Fair one. However it’s down to personal choice - if you don’t feel you should go then don’t. If people go & take the Micky then they shouldn’t moan if they get fined - but they will. I think the AT have done the best they can but there’ll be winners & losers regarding how far venues are from individuals.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Not so. Not if they stay two metres from anyone else. And that's not difficult. ANYONE who enters a shop is taking a risk, so why not ban all shopping?
Absolutely spot on. The biggest risk if you’re following the rules is when you go shopping. No supermarket up here is limiting the amount of people in the store nor are we queuing to get in as we were in March. Plus, a third of shoppers aren’t wearing masks.

grey

Site Supporter
Where it says with your "district" it's fairly easy to find your local district authority (council) boundaries on a map. If you don't know your district you can search your postcode. Most district boundaries are actually pretty big. They have possibly said this as covid cases are gathered on a district basis.
I live near the edge of my district, so I can fish one bank of my local river (including my club stretch) and I could drive some 20miles down the A1 if there was fishing there, however I cannot fish the geographically closest part of the same river as it's in another district.
I don't think they mean district by authority or even county. Perhaps 'district' as in neighbourhood?

I think it would be more responsible for you to fish your nearest water regardless of the county borders it crosses.

The virus does not follow county lines. So there is little to be gained by ensuring you stay in any particular county, much to be gained by limiting travel distance to a minimum.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I fished Sunday gone for 5 - 6 hours and the nearest i came to human contact was 10 meters away. Tell me i wasnt social distancing, if anyone had come to speak to me they would have been 10 foot above me thats 3 meters tell me i wasnt social distancing, and anyone who does try to invade my space that might put me in Danger will be told to tell me im not social distancing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We're not on about just you though ;)

That's the issue with a lot of people - Me, I , If

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If people don't know what fisheries are around them , in close proximity, Dog help us
For people who have no local fishing it's sit indoors time. As I said, my borough has banned fishing nearby, fishing is available about 5 or 6 miles away, but as there is no parking I can a) go there by public transport, b) drive to the next nearest venue, or c) stay indoors. I am opting for c.

grey

Site Supporter
If you are miserable because you daren't go fishing, then you have failed the very reasons why the government decided it was best to allow it.

It's your duty to go fishing rather than become another nutter statistic for the government to deal with when the pandemic's over.

Stop finding reasons why you can't go.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If you are miserable because you daren't go fishing, then you have failed the very reasons why the government decided it was best to allow it.

It's your duty to go fishing rather than become another nutter statistic for the government to deal with when the pandemic's over.

Stop finding reasons why you can't go.
Well said mate some people find it easier to find Problems when there arent any really.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Where it says with your "district" it's fairly easy to find your local district authority (council) boundaries on a map. If you don't know your district you can search your postcode. Most district boundaries are actually pretty big. They have possibly said this as covid cases are gathered on a district basis.
I live near the edge of my district, so I can fish one bank of my local river (including my club stretch) and I could drive some 20miles down the A1 if there was fishing there, however I cannot fish the geographically closest part of the same river as it's in another district. I am sure the police wouldn't mind if I did, but it's on a public footpath and I do not want to encounter the public!
So there's really only one sensible place to go (club river), or the commercial 500 yards away which I have never fished and costs £10 - not great when you don't have an income due to covid, and considering the government's policies regarding recently self-employed people.

Not sure if they have the resources, but if I was the AT I'd be further developing their fishery finder which works with your postcode to show where you could fish in your local area and gives the limits.
"York & District Amalgamation of Anglers" gives me plenty to shoot for ;)

alsur

Site Supporter
I live near the edge of my district, so I can fish one bank of my local river (including my club stretch) and I could drive some 20miles down the A1 if there was fishing there, however I cannot fish the geographically closest part of the same river as it's in another district. I am sure the police wouldn't mind if I did, but it's on a public footpath and I do not want to encounter the public!
So there's really only one sensible place to go (club river), or the commercial 500 yards away which I have never fished and costs £10 - not great when you don't have an income due to covid, and considering the government's policies regarding recently self-employed people.

Not sure if they have the resources, but if I was the AT I'd be further developing their fishery finder which works with your postcode to show where you could fish in your local area and gives the limits.
I think this "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live." on government website carries more weight than AT statement.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Looking at it again I would not be fishing in my district or postcode area so fishing is off for me unless something changes.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
if I look out of my loft hatch window on a clear day I can see Emley Moor Mast
Likewise. if we can both see the same thing you must be local to me, stick the kettle on, be round in a bit for a cuppa. ☕

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well said mate some people find it easier to find Problems when there arent any really.
Isn’t that the truth 👍🏻

Not that hard is it, local probably just means don’t take the pee and when you get there don’t go near anyone and have good clean afterwards. You can either sit at home and wait to catch it off the post like we must have all done in our family (or from the supermarket for those that haven’t been fortunate to win the delivery lottery most weeks) or you can grab the small slices of fairly risk free normality we’re given with both hands and live a little.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Isn’t that the truth 👍🏻

Not that hard is it, local probably just means don’t take the pee and when you get there don’t go near anyone and have good clean afterwards. You can either sit at home and wait to catch it off the post like we must have all done in our family or you can grab the small slices of fairly risk free normality we’re given with both hands and live a little.
I am on this earth for a good time mate, if im allowed and it aint gonna cause any harm to anyone im gonna do it, Life is too short for any regrets.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Below is a statement from a fishery owner in Essex. Each to their own I guess.

"Despite the Angling Trusts announcement this morning that fishing is allowed under a Tier 5 Lockdown . We will remain CLOSED until the restrictions are lifted .
I completely disagree with the decisions taken and the inevitable bending of the rules , spread of infection and further pressures on an already swamped NHS service.
This is the Angling trust trying to justify its existence. I have always supported the AT but I cannot stand with them now .
We have been instructed by our government for all our sakes to stay at home and protect our neighbours , family and friends . This is the only responsible course of action . See you all in March."