Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

grey

Site Supporter
It has been decided that fishing is an exercise: it's been allowed because the benefits to mental health outweigh the risk of spreading the virus.

The Government understand and will already have accepted there will be a certain amount of travel required (they're not that stupid), it is our individual responsibility to limit this as much as we practically can.

Fishing has not been awarded just to please us, it is a carefully considered allowance to prevent our part of the population becoming unfit and going stir-crazy!

If we chose not to fish because we are frightened of distance travelled etc, then it defeats the object of the Government allowing fishing to keep anglers fit and mentally healthy. I would argue there is a stronger case for the Government to force anglers to go fishing, than there is for anglers to avoid fishing due to heightened concerns over travel restrictions.

It is our duty to the country to manage our own health - so get out there and fish for Britain!

grey

Site Supporter
This is the main problem with this government, they talk garbage most of the time, making things up as they stumble along. If they don't know the rules, how are we to know? Maybe that is their intent, get everyone arguing and then fining people for doing everyday things. They should just say "No Fishing", if you're caught, you get t̶a̶x̶e̶d̶ fined.
No, the problem is a small minority of the population take great delight in refusing to understand what the Government have to do.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some people would argue the toss rather than just accept it for what it is.

Time and energy wasting to be frank

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I can walk to the Great Ouse in about seven minutes from my house. Half the village does it, as exercise. I can't see much difference between someone carrying a rod and standing in the huge meadow fishing and someone else nearby carrying a camera to photograph the scenery, or someone else nearby carrying binoculars and spotting birds.

It seems to me that the 'ordinary' person tries to interpret the rules with a bit of commonsense, but that some posters see everything in black and white - and in their case the only rule which could be interpreted the same way by EVERYBODY would be: "Do not leave your property for any reason whatsoever."

The bottom line is: If you don't want to fish, don't go! And don't moan about those who do.

Zerkalo

The river I fish is really out of the way but within walking distance if needed, you'd only go down there to fish and cold weather will probably deter a lot of people from fishing anyway, even me as it's forecast snow tonight and -4c on Saturday. 🥶

R0B

Where it says with your "district" it's fairly easy to find your local district authority (council) boundaries on a map. If you don't know your district you can search your postcode. Most district boundaries are actually pretty big. They have possibly said this as covid cases are gathered on a district basis.
I live near the edge of my district, so I can fish one bank of my local river (including my club stretch) and I could drive some 20miles down the A1 if there was fishing there, however I cannot fish the geographically closest part of the same river as it's in another district. I am sure the police wouldn't mind if I did, but it's on a public footpath and I do not want to encounter the public!
So there's really only one sensible place to go (club river), or the commercial 500 yards away which I have never fished and costs £10 - not great when you don't have an income due to covid, and considering the government's policies regarding recently self-employed people.

Not sure if they have the resources, but if I was the AT I'd be further developing their fishery finder which works with your postcode to show where you could fish in your local area and gives the limits.

fishcatcher4

The bottom line is: If you don't want to fish, don't go! And don't moan about those who do.

The differnce being that the ones that do go are the ones who risk getting or spreading the virus which kills people.

Comparing things is not much use either as it is all taking a risk with "other peoples" lives.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If people don't know what fisheries are around them , in close proximity, Dog help us

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've been moderating our group and popping in and out of others - it's embarrassing out there

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The differnce being that the ones that do go are the ones who risk getting or spreading the virus which kills people.
Not so. Not if they stay two metres from anyone else. And that's not difficult. ANYONE who enters a shop is taking a risk, so why not ban all shopping?