Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

Browner

The thing to ask is how many of those moaning (and in all fairness I haven't seen many today), but to ask 'how many were going to go fishing anyway?'

There are a lot of keyboard warriors out there trying to impress the masses ;)
Not so many on this thread, but a few more on some of the club water Facebook sites

Simon R

Site Supporter
I put the leftover bait I had in my bait fridge out for the birds yesterday :cry: :cry:

Only a couple of pints of maggots but ................

Simon

grey

Site Supporter
The reality is the police can now stop you, ask you where you are from, where you are going, and turn you around or issue you with a fixed penalty.
There's the answer for most: You have a right to travel for fishing, that has been established, but if you doubt a policeman will accept the distance your traveling is reasonable, then it is unreasonable!

Pointless complaining about those who will flaunt the rules, we have no control over their actions.

But as a positive note: on the whole, I feel the angling population are more likely to be law-abiding citizens than the general public. I also hold hope that the average angler is blessed with more common sense than Joe-Public!

fishcatcher4

Nearest river to me (apart from the Wandle,which is patchy). 45 minutes is doable with minimal traffic, usually about an hour, has taken up to 2 1/2 hours.

So you are driving past your local one because it does not fish well.

That's not right is it as the rule says stay local pal.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
So you are driving past your local one because it does not fish well.

That's not right is it as the rule says stay local pal.
The fishable bits are still 25 minutes away, the parts of the river near me a have fishing bans due to our lovely liberal council.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Once the AT Guidelines are released later I will post them

In the meantime here is the government guidelines on travel: If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Why is it my liberal council?
Missed a letter, corrected now. As I am now in London, I will be staying in London, and travelling to a part with far fewer people around, which surely must be safer ? Or get a bus to a more local part with no parking.

grey

Site Supporter
Anyone know exactly what constitutes 'local'? 10 minute drive? Walking only like it is in Wales?
Local is relative to where you live. Which would you describe as waters most local to you?

I doubt anyone will challenge travel to your nearest water - whether that be 1 mile, 5 miles or 15! (unless it's via public transport)

What you shouldn't be doing is travelling 15 miles (or even 5 miles) when there's suitable fishing water a mile away. Same as shopping - don't travel 20 miles to Waitrose when there's a Tesco's next door!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Local is relative to where you live. Which would you describe as waters most local to you?

I doubt anyone will challenge travel to your nearest water - whether that be 1 mile, 5 miles or 15! (unless it's via public transport)

What you shouldn't be doing is travelling 15 miles (or even 5 miles) when there's suitable fishing water a mile away. Same as shopping - don't travel 20 miles to Waitrose when there's a Tesco's next door!
I’d say that’s pretty spot on 👍🏻

Like if you’ve got a couple places within similar distance I think you’d be fine to go to the slightly further one but don’t take the pee and go somewhere twice as far.

Either way if some can fish local and others can’t then tough really just be happy for those who can, no need for us all to be stuck at home when some don’t have to be. Like I saw earlier had someone pre angling being allowed again tried to get the towpaths closed as if we couldn’t use them why should anyone else to which I thought you grumpy sod why try put others out just cos you feel put out! I really don’t get this all suffer together lark if some people in some places can do stuff safely then good for them no need to be bitter about it because you can’t. Aggrieved for sure yes but not bitter enough to wish others freedoms to be taken away.

punchcrumb

My local fisheries are 17 miles away..... the ones I would call local (in normal times) are nearer 40 miles away, not sure any of those distances fall within the spirit of staying local.

I am a bit confused why we should limit our time outdoors, I live backing into farmland and can go out with my dogs for hours, not seeing a soul, how is that any riskier than minimising the time outside.

It’s all far too woolly, open to interpretation, which is fine if everyone errs on the right side of interpreting the guidelines - and where now does the boundary between guidelines and rules begin and end - but we all know, give some an inch, they’ll take a mile.
What do you expect with angling there Is always strings attached ?

Keith Sparky

I know its a pain for us Welsh anglers but the rule in Wales stating you can only walk or cycle to a venue has for most people meant no fishing or just a short walk away only.....the Welsh government is not saying angling is unsafe but is more concerned about more cars on the roads that are not needed when our NHS is overrun.....I know its unlikely but having an accident on the way to wet a line that results in taking up NHS time at this time seems selfish to me.....we should all just accept hobbies of all sorts should stop for just a month or two until the NHS is past this period....how would you feel if one of your loved ones was turned away from hospital with covid or other serious illness due to fisherman,golfers cyclists amateur footballers coggling up A and E with bumps scrapes and other ailments...the AT has got this very very wrong