Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

OldTaff

Site Supporter
As the river is 5 mins from work then a little lunchtime perch spinning may be in order to celebrate once it fines off enough.

Please don’t let anyone start doing something silly like organising matches and spoiling it all for everyone.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
With little traffic on the road, I could be at the river in 45 minutes.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My local fisheries are 17 miles away..... the ones I would call local (in normal times) are nearer 40 miles away, not sure any of those distances fall within the spirit of staying local.

I am a bit confused why we should limit our time outdoors, I live backing into farmland and can go out with my dogs for hours, not seeing a soul, how is that any riskier than minimising the time outside.

It’s all far too woolly, open to interpretation, which is fine if everyone errs on the right side of interpreting the guidelines - and where now does the boundary between guidelines and rules begin and end - but we all know, give some an inch, they’ll take a mile.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
My local fisheries are 17 miles away..... the ones I would call local (in normal times) are nearer 40 miles away, not sure any of those distances fall within the spirit of staying local.

I am a bit confused why we should limit our time outdoors, I live backing into farmland and can go out with my dogs for hours, not seeing a soul, how is that any riskier than minimising the time outside.

It’s all far too woolly, open to interpretation, which is fine if everyone errs on the right side of interpreting the guidelines - and where now does the boundary between guidelines and rules begin and end - but we all know, give some an inch, they’ll take a mile.
Chris, life is far too wooly to give hard and fast rules for everything. That is why laws are made, negotiated, re-negotiated and interpreted. If you want non-wooly, move to North Korea :ROFLMAO:

hamoodos

Anyone know exactly what constitutes 'local'? 10 minute drive? Walking only like it is in Wales?

Browner

I find it frustrating that we have been given a lifeline and can go fishing but people are questioning if night fishing is allowed, how many hours can they go for, what’s local, why can’t we fish a match. I say be grateful. Find the nearest fishable water, grab a lure or a slice of bread, a rod and reel and a small rucksack and pop out for an hour.
It might not be what you or what you are used to but you never know, you may enjoy a different approach.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The thing to ask is how many of those moaning (and in all fairness I haven't seen many today), but to ask 'how many were going to go fishing anyway?'

There are a lot of keyboard warriors out there trying to impress the masses ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Clear as mud
Which bit don't you understand?

For clarity if you are struggling here are my notes:

What's the definition of Local? - The basic rule is if you have to travel outside of your local area you have gone too far.

Why can't we Match fish? - Because organised sporting gatherings are not allowed.

Are Keepnets allowed? - Is that a serious question?

Why can't we Night fish? - Because it does not fall within Daily exercise.

From a legal aspect fishing is allowed for exercise. If you have to travel further than you would if you were to do some other form of exercise then legally you should do that instead.

There will always be an element of elasticity in the rules, however people need to be sensible in how they adopt them.

The reality is the police can now stop you, ask you where you are from, where you are going, and turn you around or issue you with a fixed penalty.

The more anglers that get stopped, the more incidents will be reported, the more likely we'll see a total ban and no further negotiations.

If some decide to say screw it - they will screw it up for everyone else, this is without question.

Feel free to copy, paste, print, them if it helps