Fishing to be allowed during England’s national lockdown – Angling Trust announcement

chris1967

Site Supporter
I was all for going fishing ,but having seen the figures yesterday i've got to say staying at home would be the right and only decent thing to do .
Lets not try and rationalize this to suit our own agenda ,its cold ,the fishing is $hite cant see anyone losing out on anything for the next month or so .

Whisker

Site Supporter
Was thinking of going local next weekend after the cold snap but looking at the rapidly rising figures, coupled with the boys in blue having a more restrictive idea of ‘local’ to mine, I’m happy to stay home and re-assess at the end of March if necessary. No different to the old close season only it’s come a bit earlier when you’re not so keen to go out anyway. Hopefully come April we’ll have a much better outlook.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I think it's just a case of being safe and sensible. Making sure you socially distance using the 2 metre rule.Wearing a facemask whenever you are near anybody. Making sure other's don't encroach into your 2 metre space. And sanitizing your hands after touching anything, so petrol pumps,cashpoints, gates, padlocks, dayticket kiosks and anything else that someone else will have touched before you.

As to the new variant of the virus being more transmissible, it still behaves in the same way physically, so it hasn't become more or less airbourne or longer lived on surfaces. What has changed is that has now adapted from being an animal virus to a human virus. Before it had to force it's way into human cells because it's spikes were keys designed to enter bats cells. This meant that lots of people came into contact with the virus, but didn't get infected. Now it has modified it's spike so it doesn't have to force it's way into human cells, but simply unlock them with it's new key. So if it gets into your nose or mouth, rather than you MAY become infected as before, with the new variant, you WILL become infected.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yea though I wander in the valley of the shadow of death

I shall fear no evil

As I am going fishing !

rudd

Site Supporter
Heard police kicked off loads of anglers at an Essex venue yesterday as they didnt live locally near enough.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I was all for going fishing ,but having seen the figures yesterday i've got to say staying at home would be the right and only decent thing to do .
Lets not try and rationalize this to suit our own agenda ,its cold ,the fishing is $hite cant see anyone losing out on anything for the next month or so .
January very often produces some of the best UK fishing in the fly fishing world and can be in the coarse fishing world. It's all about perception.

alsur

Site Supporter
My club waters are opening on Wednesday 7am to 5pm they say you should fish your nearest available water even if it isn't a club water.

chris1967

Site Supporter
January very often produces some of the best UK fishing in the fly fishing world and can be in the coarse fishing world. It's all about perception.
If you look up bud you'll see the point i was making blowing some where over the top of you (y)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
If you look up bud you'll see the point i was making blowing some where over the top of you (y)
I get your point about the Covid figures but your comment "the fishing is $hite cant see anyone losing out on anything for the next month or so" is a misperception and please don't patronise me. Nothing you could say would be over the top of me, of that I am sure.(y)

Zerkalo

This is just down the road from me but I'd made the decision I wasn't going to fish there anyway until restrictions are lifted, I have a safer spot on a river to fish, looks like it is closed anyway now. Does anyone know what they mean by chalking? Does that mean colouring the lakes the blue colour they are there?

Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 13.02.01.jpg

Browner

Just seen the latest video by Jon Arthur. It was great to see him cycling to a small backwater with a rod strapped to the crossbar and a rucksack. Reminded me of fishing as a kid.
Such an enthusiastic angler who is happy to simplify things and comply to the new rules (it would seem). Great little video and maybe some inspiration to the people having issues with lack of matches, night fishing etc.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Watched it too, what surprised me was his comments about never seen or fished the river before, unless he is new to the area , with chub that size on his doorstep you’d have thought that he’d have been familiar with it

Browner

In fairness I’ve fished the Bristol Avon for over 40 years and there parts of that and some tributaries I have never seen or fished.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Watched it too, what surprised me was his comments about never seen or fished the river before, unless he is new to the area , with chub that size on his doorstep you’d have thought that he’d have been familiar with it
Jon is a very busy individual, always fishing festivals, big money matches, plus work for his sponsor,plus his coaching days , plus his family, I shouldn’t think he’s had time 🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve had some great days recently, fishing has been good, I love this time of year fishing for silvers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I love this time of year fishing for silvers.
Purely out of interest I assume you only fish for silvers in winter due to the carp matches stopping in winter? As in my experience silvers are certainly easier to catch the rest year when it’s warmer given they are widespread and needing to feed rather than shoaled up and not eating much in the winter.

Back to @chris1967’s point I have to say I won’t particularly miss fishing this time of year as even if the rivers are within local definition range (which I doubt) I suspect they’ll spend much of the rest of the season in flood and in their place I don’t particularly fancy freezing my wotsits off for at best half as many fish of half the size down the canal. If we get a genuine mild spell I’ll give it a go but not looking like we’re getting one any time soon.

Zerkalo

I love watching Jon Arthur videos, he doesn't even need to catch much at all for it to be a good watch.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Purely out of interest I assume you only fish for silvers in winter due to the carp matches stopping in winter? As in my experience silvers are certainly easier to catch the rest year when it’s warmer given they are widespread and needing to feed rather than shoaled up and not eating much in the winter.

Back to @chris1967’s point I have to say I won’t particularly miss fishing this time of year as even if the rivers are within local definition range (which I doubt) I suspect they’ll spend much of the rest of the season in flood and in their place I don’t particularly fancy freezing my wotsits off for at best half as many fish of half the size down the canal. If we get a genuine mild spell I’ll give it a go but not looking like we’re getting one any time soon.
I have never fished a carp match, but in winter we have a lot of silvers only matches, as the carp tend not to ‘wreck’ them. Some of the best perch catches are made in the colder weather, roach and skimmers will feed in it and some of the best days can be had when breaking the ice.

From the end of Jan last year.....

Last edited: