Fishing this weekend?

Zerkalo

Here's the forecast.

Screenshot 2020-08-15 at 10.51.04.png

Anyone heading out?

I'm going to make the most of the nice weather today and head to Stourport for an evening waggler fishing on the Severn. Just 3 pints of maggots and some hemp in tow and see what I catch given it's sunny and the river likely still quite clear.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Would have gone today if I’d have known it was going to turn out dry. Looks ok tomorrow morning so might have a few hours then. Been a disastrous last week before returning to work with just one session so far due to mid 30s temperatures followed by biblical storms!

Still after about 35 sessions in the last 3 months I can’t complain. Going to be weird going back to fishing weekends again.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I had a short session yesterday evening, dodged a few showers but got other things to do today and the forecast for tomorrow is not great... On the up side I have no work next week so missing out this weekend is no big deal

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sunday, on a river valley flood relief catchment reservoir,

we've had a bit of rain last night and this morn, hardly enough to wash a fleas football boots, wether it will make any difference to the water levels who knows, they are about 2ft down on normal at the moment

looks like it will probably be a bit of wading out and either the box legs dropped or maybe a platform jobbie

will be mainly on the crumb feeder looking for snotties if I draw the deeps, if its the other end, whip for roach, rudd and skimbibblybobs

had to hedge my bets and take or make up a loada baits etc

Maggot, red and white, live and dead, caster, worm, corn, bolies, bread, hemp and tares

gonna need a trolley for the first time in ages to, 200 yard walk from the carpark downhill to the waters edge and then maybe a foot shift around the ressie to my drawn peg, still it will be lighter on the way back

rudd

Site Supporter
Several lakes in my area closed due to low oxygen.
Just finished sanding a door and off to do some work and check club venue. ?

ATTICUS FINCH

No fishing for me this weekend ,it's the wife's birthday Sunday and we have a few people coming round for a bit of a do

BTMS

Site Supporter
Fished today on the river no colour but up slightly. Practicing for the League evening l won the league so all the top two in the heats go through to the final final!!. I was reading on here about wheat so I thought i would give it a try asked the local farmer for a couple of pints of wheat, he dropped round half a sack!!!:D Fed casters and hemp for half an hour with a few grains of wheat. Catching small dace and roach and 2 rudd!! so though try the wheat. Wow 1st put in float buried quick as lightning. nice roach. Kept the casters and a few grains pf wheat going in as i heard they soon fill up with the wheat. Finished after 3 hrs for 5lb ish was getting piked to death and lost some cloncking fish. Well chuffed.

Tomorrow on one of our big lakes gull of big carp average 9lb, so came back switch all the good gear for Pellet wag and feeder. Now peeing down. Knackered bur ready for tomorrow. Hope the weather is better because this lake is a mud bath in the swims

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Haven't fished for about a month or so, just haven't been feeling it :confused:

Just waiting for Pike season i think.

Zerkalo

@Zerkalo The rivers like chocolate mate,??

Went in the tackle shop on the way and they told me the same thing, 1 foot up they said, I was a bit surprised to hear but it's surprising what a bit of rain can do. When I got there I was more surprised to see the river as you describe, a proper muddy colour.

Looked good for a few fish I thought, but also that maybe I should have gone Barbelling instead with the river and weather being spot on.

Fished it on maggot anyway and just the odd Bleak (can't even tell their on the hook the cheeky beggars) for the first few hours made me wonder if I was going to catch at all with all the boats coming through, this one called 'RIVER KING' especially must have came through about 20 times, think it was a tour boat that was just turning round downstream and circling.

Had a few Perch, a Dace, and eventually I started fishing right close in dragging about 2 foot on the bottom and hit a shoal of hand size skimmers. Had about 18 of them in the end. There were 'Bream' bubbles coming up in my peg which kept me hopeful, might have just been the skimmers but I foulhooked a bigger fish for a couple of seconds and came back with Bream slime all up my line!

Probably about 3lb of fish in the end when it started to rain and I got a tangle and thought, I'm not setting up again just for another half an hour even though I was getting skimmers most runs through by this point. Well worth being on the river for evening even though not a bumper catch.

2020-08-15 19.30.47.jpg

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Went in the tackle shop on the way and they told me the same thing, 1 foot up they said, I was a bit surprised to hear but it's surprising what a bit of rain can do. When I got there I was more surprised to see the river as you describe, a proper muddy colour.

Looked good for a few fish I thought, but also that maybe I should have gone Barbelling instead with the river and weather being spot on.

Fished it on maggot anyway and just the odd Bleak (can't even tell their on the hook the cheeky beggars) for the first few hours made me wonder if I was going to catch at all with all the boats coming through, this one called 'RIVER KING' especially must have came through about 20 times, think it was a tour boat that was just turning round downstream and circling.

Had a few Perch, a Dace, and eventually I started fishing right close in dragging about 2 foot on the bottom and hit a shoal of hand size skimmers. Had about 18 of them in the end. There were 'Bream' bubbles coming up in my peg which kept me hopeful, might have just been the skimmers but I foulhooked a bigger fish for a couple of seconds and came back with Bream slime all up my line!

Probably about 3lb of fish in the end when it started to rain and I got a tangle and thought, I'm not setting up again just for another half an hour even though I was getting skimmers most runs through by this point. Well worth being on the river for evening even though not a bumper catch.

2020-08-15 19.30.47.jpg
Still a nice little bag of silvers mate,keeps you busy, ??

Zerkalo

Thanks mate, a few bites is all I need for a good evening! Surprised I was only catching Skimmers and no Roach, shows how they shoal up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Unless the picture is deceptive you might have sold yourself short with 3lb there. Looks a few decent fish in there.

Zerkalo

Cheers mate. I was sure I caught a lot more Bleak but have discovered a couple of holes in my keepnet. :ROFLMAO: A Perch got wedged in one of them and a Bleak in the other, meant I had to take scissors to it to cut them out. :( I don't reckon it would be more than 3 at a guess though maybe I should have weighed them, it's still far from my 10lb target weight which I don't think I'll manage at Stourport, not the easiest of places most of the time for me. It reminds me of old canal bags of Gudgeon we used to catch, 3lb would have been a very good weight!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Perch might have gobbled a few Bleak :LOL:

I often wonder about that

you got a netfull of eyes and arses then you hook into a burglar about a pound and a half,

must be a nightmare for the littluns already in the net