fishing the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
when fishing on the led/feeder i miss alot of bites, other day i had 15 bites on the trot and hit only 4 of them.
there so fast, sometimes a little knock and the maggots have been took.
wud holding rod and putting line near spool round my finger and feel the bite work ?

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

norm

try a shorter hook lenth

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
thanx norm i'll give that a go.

im seeing the knocks on the tip but some are very slight and fast.

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Lid

Hi Hopper

What size hooks you using and what strength tip? You could also try smaller hook and a more sensitive tip.

Are you fishing river or stillwater and what size and species of fish are you missing/catching?

Lid [:)]

joe1987

'Darwener'
I also used to have the same problem. When fishing a stillwater hold the rod and reel with one hand so you can strike easily but rest the middle of the rod on a rod rest so you dont have to keep the whole rod steady. This should also put the tip really close down to the water so you get less bow in the line and feel the bite exactly as the fish hits the bait. Also try a shorter hooklength.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Where are you fishing river or still water? Dependant on this is the answers.
If its a river is the lead/feeder moving giving a false bite?
If you are touch legering, using a quiver tip actually detracts from this method, as any movement of the line is absorbed by the tip before it reaches your finger.
Again if touch legering have your rod pointing as close as you can to the bait.
On still waters shorten the distance between hook and leger/feeder. Use the softest tip you have. I wouldnt normally touch leger on a still water. After casting ensure all slack line is taken up and only slightly tension the tip

chill out go fishing

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
hiya lads
im fishing on a stillwater
i use my most sensitive tip and had the tip close to water with line tight and a slight bend on the tip on a rod rest and the butt end in between my legs with hand on but all the time.
i'll get a little knock and the maggots have been took.
most the bites i do hit are when im twitching it abit to try and make then snatch at it.

the rig im using is feeder on mainline with a leger stop, ya know the simple way.

im just new back in fishing after 10 yrs and cant remember the way i tied this rig i used to use maybe 1 of you can help me, it was a rig where the fish used to hook themselves 9 times out of 10.
if i remember right it was like a triangle with a hooklength and when the bait was took the led/feeder wud move and the fish hooked itself

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yep, try shortening the hooklength by a few inches tony, and see if it helps.
The chances are you are just seeing the fish move off after eating the maggot. Shrotening it will actually show you the bite.

If it doesn't work, shorten it again.

Dave

splodger

Try using a fixed paternoster rig.
Make a loop of about 10" and tie it off,then cut it leaving a short length of about 3" and a longer length.
Attach the feeder / bomb to the short length with a snap swivel.
Loop your longer length to accomodate a hooklength of your choice (short if you are missing bites) and see what happens.

SPLODGER

joe1987

'Darwener'
Yeah i no that method tony. Found that if you just tie a loop in your mainline after tying your hook on then attach feeder/leger to loop the bites are registered more. It might just be that because it's winter the bites are shy esp. if it's roach. Try using 3 or 4 maggot on a hook.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
thanx for the help lads i'll try what u have said.

the fish im getting are roach,ide and perch

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Last edited:

iobrien2002

Paddy
a great and cost effecient way of knowing u hav a bite without holding the rod all the time is to let out sum slack line and put a stone on it wen it is on the ground. wen you get a take the stone will fly off and you will know straight away
good luck

I.O'Brien

BILLYFISHER

one way of hitting more bites is to hook your maggot as you would
a caster.using a barbless hook put the hook in between the eyesand

one method i use is to hook the maggot as you would a caster.
using a barbless hook put the point through the eyes and thread
the maggot up the shank bringing the point out halfway down the
maggots body hope this helps.

billyfisher.

a bad days fishing beats a good days work

The23rdMan

Armchair Angler
Another trick that can work is to hook the maggot at the wrong end. This has caught me finicky roach when all else has failed.

May all your lines be tight ones, and may all your tales be tall ones.

Deano

TINY

Tiny
If they are violent snatches,try putting a small shot about an inch behind the feeder and when the fish snatches at the bait it will hook itself.

Andy.

everyready

when river fishing for dace i sometimes side the hook maggots its seems to catch them out for a while

wilsmaboy

Hiya All

I find, as well as the hook length trick, is to try a shorter link to bomb/feeder or even fish with a semi-bolt rig set up putting the feeder/bomb in-line. Another tip is to use a target board/ bank stick to set your tip against. Even the slightest movement can be detected and , as I've found out in Ireland on hard days, can result in hitting big bream.

Steve Wilson

carper2002

'Ronnie'
welcome to m/D's billy-fisher and i was going to say try hooking the maggot at the pointed end that sometimes works but the 23rdman beat me to it but as you can see theres lots of options there IL try some of them my self
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

wuffie

Use braid with the rod tip pointing at the feeder rather than to the side.Use a heavier feeder than normal fixed either bolt rigged or on a loop.The braid should be tight to the feeder so that the fish hooks itself. Try fluro pinkie on a 22 if they are roach.

breambasher

a method i use is to thread the feeder onto the line.make a loop of about 6inch tie this off leaving a short piece of line hanging from the knot.twist the loop then tie a smaller loop at the end attach a swivel to this tie your hook length to the swivel.when the fish bites it pulls the line through the feeder swivel which hits the knot and hooks the fish.another method is the dink dink rig this is where you tie the feeder directly to the mainline and a hook length back up the line this way the fish only feels resistance from the tip and theory bolts back towards you hooking itself against the feeder.

im mad for it

Status
Not open for further replies.