Fishing tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
The one thing that makes fishing fun is our ability to exagerate. Each time a storie is told about the one that got away the fish gets that little bit bigger. What im saying is those story's are great fun to hear/read. So fire away, im sure many people will have plenty of tales to share [:)] and everyone loves to look through.

P.S include any rumours about monster fish [;)] Red letter days and those days were everytihng goes wrong[:(]

cosmicgunge

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No exageration this one but a tale of a BIG fish.

I don't know if any of you know Roundhay Park Lake in Leeds, some of you will, but a couple of years ago when I was a teenager <<OI Troggy - whatch it!! before you start [:D]>> I was fishing for Pike near to the wires towards the island end.
Here you have an old brick lined gulley that was once the original feeder for the lake as it was way back. Anyway about 30yds to the left in line with this gulley there were a few ducks and ducklings.

I say were because suddenly the water erupted and a Pike of ginormous dimensions rose from the water from underneath them, crashing through them and then returning to pick off the wounded. Never did catch it but caught many up to 15lb's.

The Police diving club use the lake for practices and have reported seeing a very large large fish, possibly a pike, on several occasions.

Doo Doo, Doo Doo....

Dave

Oggy

A few weeks ago my Club went to Moorlands for the weekend. You know the script, lots of banter, plenty of side bets, loads of beer and even more hangovers. Oh and some fishing.
Anyway on the Sunday the match had ended and we started the weigh-in with myself booking, our man Jacko tending the nets and fishery owner John Talbot weighing. We arrived at the peg of a new member and Jacko started to swim the fish to the mouth of the net (as per fishery rules) when the top ring of the net broke causing the net to drop into the water for a split second.
Martin who's net it was moaned that a fish had managed to escape during that split second and of course it was the biggest in the net.
By the time he got back to the coach it was 2 carp that had escaped and when we reached the pub for refreshment it had risen to 4 fish and everyone new about it wheteher they liked it or not.
Its a good job Martin decided to stay for a few more days with one of the guys that had driven down as I'm sure that by the time the coach had reached Preston the poor soul would have lost about 80lb's.

Oggy

Top dangling!

martin.

Account Locked
hi
as you know i fished the 16ft drain in the british pike championship at w/e .
well near a village called christchurch further up there are stories of a ghost angler that night fishes every so oftenalthough i have not witnessed it myself i have heard it from people who would swear they have seen it. ther is also a mention of it on a video . i believe its called night fishing for pike and posibly by nev flickering .
when i find out the proper name & angler ill post it

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

ben grim

THERES A RESERVOIR neer to me,Knipton res.it's sindicate now,not relivent but cheesed me off.anyway,there's stories of a diver diving down to clear a doobydacker or somthing,"it''''''s 40ft deep at the dam end...yuh know"(local quote)he's down there removing some stuff from the outlet grill when a munster of gargantuan proportions swept past him,he came up so fast he got the benz
i think the knipton record pike was 37 3/4lbs,if i was down there the sudden increase in weight in my pants would of had the reverse affect!

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:if i was down there the sudden increase in weight in my pants would of had the reverse affect!
ROFLMAO

Dave

Polepot

Poles
This story goes back to the 1960s when I was fishing in the bent pin style. My dad had bought me a fishing kit from Woolies in Aberystwyth and made it up for me, but he had not tied the line of on the spool.

We had a caravan in a field by a running Welsh steam called the Leri.

I was wearing my new black Levi jeans and my Mum and dad were sitting in deckchairs by the river some 300 yards below where I was fishing.

I was using free lined worm on a big hook suddenly there was this aggressive take and the reel started to churn DAD DAD I shouted
but obviously he did not hear whilst they were supping there G&T. The line was leaving the reel at great speed and as you have by now guessed the inevitable happened. When the line got to its end I watched in horror as it went up the rod and agonisingly through each ring.
I stood there and then this idea came to me

Its only a little river phaps I can catch him with my net

So I charged into the river up to my waist net in handnow do you remember the black jeans? Well the river turned black and it was then that my mum and dad realised that there was a problem. The came running up the river and in my dads usual style the air turned blue and needless to say they did not believe my story of the one that got away. No one believed me not even the people who fished the river regularly They dont grow that big in this river boyo said Morgan the Mill.

This happened in August 1960 but I had the last laugh. In April 1961 Dad, Morgan the Mill and Hugh Butch when fly-fishing to a reservoir called Nant-yMoch. They caught nothing and when they came back they found a beautiful brown trout of 2.5lbs ready to be cooked for tea.

I never caught another trout of that size in the Leri although I fished it into my 20s although by then I was mainly fluff flinging.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

bobby

BEN GRIM has just stolen my fishy tale of the scuba diver at Knipton Res, near Grantham, lincs.This is a well known tale/fact about this most pituresque fishery, and the size of its Pike ! ( Sad to hear its now gone to sindicate though !!!)

norm

is this thread just for bull sh*t or any tale?(lol)

cos when i was a little bit younger ,i was river fishing
and got a bit carried away with my cast
and cast right to the top of the tree on the far bank

i only had one feeder so i took a half mile walk to the bridge and crossed the river

from the top of the tree i could see the biggest fish that i ever saw

i dont know weather it was a whale or a shark so i tried to get a bit closer to the end of the branch

snap!!!!!

in i went
what a bugger (lol)

i coming to get ya teeeeppeeeeeeee

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
So Michael you would like to read some tales, well here's one for you a true tale (I know cus I was there)

I can't remember exactly when this took place but only that it was late 70's early 80's.

I was chairman of the Express A.C. and we had a challenge match with Carlsberg A.C. on the canal at Weedon on the stretch from Weedon towards Braunston.

The match was pretty uneventful however the party held underneath the canal bridge carrying the A45 proved quite eventful.

Some of the Carlsberg guys had brought a Ford Granada (circa 1972)with them and it was full of Carlsberg products[:0][:0][^][^]
This was curtesy of their social club I believe.

Anyway one of our (Express) number was a young YOP (youth oportunities) lad of sixteen, who availed himself of said refreshments.

When it came time for him to leave with his lift he was, well, erm merry. He was standing with his back to the canal, and when he swung his box onto his back he overbalanced and due to his intake was unable to stop himself from entering the canal [:D][:D]

This was not the worst part of the story however!

The following morning (monday) all officers of the club were summoned to personnel!![:0]
Where we were to face the wrath of his mother [:(!][:I]

It wasn't the fact that the lad had got drunk or fell in it was quite simply the fact that when his, as she put it, "friends" returned him home they had propped him up against the front door rang the bell, then scarpered, so that when she answered he fell in smelling of beer and canal water!!
The poor lad had a match ban placed on him by his mum but we managed to get it lifted with some serious bribery

For half an hour we faced her like little school boys and boy was hard not to smile.
Even the personnel manager was having difficulty keeping a straight face, and we never lived it down.
When I left in '83 it was still being told.
So be warned never leave a drunken mate propped against the door, always make sure he's lying down.

anyway I hope you enjoyed it
Bluey

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

ben grim

hello bobby,sorry i told your story,can you give any more
details,thats all i know of the story.your right about
knipton,what a place!

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

Status
Not open for further replies.