Fishing smells

davepellet

Likes: grayling, VDE Expo, sweetcorn blended with scoped, VDE Bloedmeal additive, chopped worm, hemp, swimstim natural, and last but not least that proper ‘pondy’ Smell you get around forgotten, weedy tench ponds

Dislikes: krill, halibut pellets, sweaty carp - they stink like the living dead - but more fishy... and I hate that ‘Team Daiwa’ smell you always get round grubby blokes, propping up the counter all day in the tackle shop... grim

JayD

The smell of Linseed oil always brings back memories of my fathers nets when I was a toddler. Fresh maggots, with a very faint whiff of ammonia and bran. The smell of a mist covered river/lake at dawn on a summers morning, and the surrounding foliage. The hint of thyme as you unhook a grayling, The smell after a summer downpour. The smell of cooked hemp or wheat. There are so many, even the heady smell from the brewery outlet at Tadcaster, that made you feel half 'cut', after a few hours fishing. They all bring back memories of certain times, places, and even people, connected to my angling life.

John.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
When we were kids we used to get the Bus to Tadcaster, The Brewery on certain days must have been mixing the ingredients and boiling em and it stunk, when i smell that smell now it brings back good memories.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I used to fish an old brick pit and there was a butchers about 100yrds away that made his own pies and pasties you could smell when he was taking them out of the oven absolutely wonderful smell, once you could smell it the rod was reeled in and you were joining the que for the best fresh pies and pasties in County Durham

davepellet

When I used to fish matches, the smell of the breakies sizzling before the draw was irresistible

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I used to fish matches, the smell of the breakies sizzling before the draw was irresistible
When I was on the circuit it was very rare that you got a brekkie. Sometimes a tea would be available if the draw was at a pub.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The smell of bacon, sausages etc. hitting the frying pan at 2:00am when there's a 'lull' in that weekend session. That's when you find out that you haven't got the lake to yourself after all.

feldri

Site Supporter
Fishing the River Ancholme years ago when Brigg sugar factory was processing the recent delivery of sugar beet. Not an unpleasant smell. The best smell is when I open a bag of Brasem to mix with my groundbait. Not so good, the smell of my bream filled nets after using said Brasem.
Also, the smell of a freshly cut lawn after the rain, and a walk through a pine forest.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Brazem for me.
Followed by the breakfast smell of the cafe on the way or pub where the draws were held.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Apparently there used to be a slaughterhouse on the Blackwater at Cappoquin and the hotspots were under the outfall, I never fished it but people said you could smell the blood.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The Source boilie additive.
love the smell
Also means I away in the bivvy ?

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I remember talking to my old mate Mick Bailey in Walkers of trowell and every so often we would get a whiff of one of the most nauseating smells I had ever known. Mick told me that they had started stocking Rod Hutchinsons new 'Catch em' range of baits and the smell was from every time a customer opened the bait fridge. :sick:

TimFB

Dew soaked grass at first light...

The smell of a bacon and egg supper and a decent beer when youve fished till past dark in midsummer and get back home late...

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Dynamite frenzied hempseed match black has a nice pong to it, might have to start using this with some corn and elips pellets in the barbel feeders :D

Or could use it to change up my Sticky baits Krill homemade paste.