fishing slugs and bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi GF,

Bread is the easiest one, if using crust push the hook through the top of the crust into the soft bit and back out of the crust again. Turn the hook so that the point and bend sits at 90 degrees to the crust. Sizes 8-4's
Bread flake - tear off a bit and fold it in half. In the fold place your hook and nip the bread around the shank of the hook. Sizes 10-4's.
Bread Punch- Hook it from the punch, in and out once. Sizes 18-12's

Now Slugs urgh are you sure icon_smile_big.gif

The best way is to grip the thing across the back and then using a sharp hook (don't try with a blunt one!) pierce its under belly and push the slug around the bend and onto the shank bringing the point back out. It's advisable to use a micro barbed hook about size 6/4 for the black slugs.

Hope this helps, Dave

Edited by - Dave on 31 January 2002 7:53:21 PM

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Has anyone caught freelining bread and slugs????
it will be my 1st time sat/sun(weather) went to my local tackle shop today he gave me a good spot for a nice bag of chub...
any tatics/tips

Regards Gf

g.sutcliffe

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bread yes, many a time but slugs no, besides that they're 'orible to touch icon_smile.gif

Dave

scouse

'River Man'
HI GF
have caught 11lb common carp on floating crust
on the river dane also caught many chub
on slug on same river the best time to pick slugs is first
light when the dew is on the grass if you dont
want to pick them up by hand use tweezers
or wear gloves hope this helps
dave(scouse)

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
What line should i use i got 3lb line on my reel should i use that all way though.
???
Regards GF
thanx for the info

g.sutcliffe

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you're after Chub 3lb line on your float rod should be okay on slow moving rivers but if you are going up to the Wharfe or Swale you may be better off with 4 or even 5lb line as you'll not only have the fish to contend with but the current as well icon_smile.gif

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
For freelining or legering 4lb test would be far better. I would also consider liquidised bread as feed ie cut crusts off a fresh loaf break into 6 pieces and liquidise 4/5 slices at a time till afine crimb is formed.feed golf ball size balls squeezed lightly in to the swim. bread lake as hook bait.

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.