Fishing rivers for free

commieboy257

Account Locked
Now I'm more than happy to pay my dues day ticket wise, but a lot of the rivers round Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire seem to be controlled by angling clubs who don;t offer day tickets. I want to try some fishing on smaller sections, perhaps free lining some bread or chucking a small lure and also on some streams etc.
Now my understanding is that if a stretch of river has no fishing rights allocated to any club or land owner, and you approach from public land, then you can fish it for free.
Thing is:
1) how do you identify such stretches?
2) how likely are clubs to cut up rough if you genuinely accidentally encroach on their patch? technically it's trespass, and that can be a difficult thing to prove in the eyes of the law.

any ideas?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Googling free fishing is the best bet. In my experience though they tend to attract undesirables and not fish that well. There are of course exceptions though some are really good.

Plenty of good value clubs are about though. Mines ridiculously good value at £12 for absolutely miles of the Thames but there are plenty of others that are still comfortably under £50 so doesn’t take too many sessions to get your money’s worth.

MarkW

All non-tidal river/stream fishing rights in England and Wales belong to someone, usually the landowner even if public access is permitted but some owners, quite often councils, allow anglers to fish for free eg Trent Embankment. To add to the complexity some tidal water is private fishing.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
another reason why your local tackle shop is worth going in,

they will more than likely know of all such fishing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The weir I fish is free and presumably just council land and I dread the day either a club takes over or we get told we can't fish on the land anymore as it's the best thing about the village to me. Farmer owns the land the on the opposite bank and people still fish there but everyday the farmer comes along and tells people to move, he could make a killing from daytickets but it would make the spot even busier than usual.

Flathead

Site Supporter
No help to you but here in the fens there is a lot of free water....and much of it is some of the best in the area.

Due to the nature of many of the drains and rivers much of the bank is owned by the likes of the Middle level commissioner or the Water authority or town councils. This is because of the need to maintain flood defences.

The Centre of March on the Old Nene and the Centre of Ely on the Ouse, for example, have always been free are are winter hotspots.

The Well Creek is controlled by a Trust and all the fishing is free. There are also several long stretches of rivers and drains where the fishing is no longer leased by anyone, mainly because there is just so much water and so few anglers.
Most of the river and drain banks are open access because they are public footpaths.
Apart from that I am in a number of clubs with miles of water where the fees (for an OAP) are around £5 for season!

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
River Erewash (Dockholme field stretch) is free and used to produce cracking chub and roach 25-30 years ago, think it a bit overgrown now but can always take a scythe and carve out your own peg from the grass and nettles.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
For fishing the River Medway and it’s tributaries I’ve found this forum and a local FB angling group have been invaluable since there’s always someone who knows every stretch and who controls it.

I’m lucky there are a lot of excellent free bits of river available locally to fish but regularly frustrated there aren’t any free stillwaters

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you dont have a proper tackle shop to ask try the local office of the water authority as they know usually.

commieboy257

Account Locked
I'm more than happy to pay for the Trent when I eventually get there. Up this way £50 is average for a club, some want £100 plus and the finances just won't justify it. I thunk I need to get a map and get out in the car and have a butchers.