Fishing Republic

Riche

What’s happening with them... they’ve clearly got investment from somewhere, yet their website isn’t taking orders... just before Black Friday as well

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Go Outdoors bought Fishing Republic. Search on here for a poster called Richard Horton for the gen on Fishing Republic.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
What’s happening with them... they’ve clearly got investment from somewhere, yet their website isn’t taking orders... just before Black Friday as well

Basically, untill everything is sorted with their new owners (JD sports) the webshop won't be taking orders, once it's all sorted hopefully it will be reopened so to speak.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Good! I've bought stuff from them in the past. Hope they continue to be around. Too many on line suppliers are being swallowed up by bigger fish. Chapman's Angling recently got bought out by Angling Direct which I consider to be a bad result for us as customers. AD do not appear to have picked up the lines from Chapman's I was always interested in

Hi guys,
Fingers crossed you should be hearing about the relaunch of the website very soon.
As a customer you won’t see much different apart from a few tweaks and the ability to use Finance as payment again.
However there has been a LOT of work gone into the back end to make things run smoother. Also our DC is finally where it should be and the first class service we were offering should be back.
Anything else you need, just give me a shout.

Louis D

Site Supporter
Good! I've bought stuff from them in the past. Hope they continue to be around. Too many on line suppliers are being swallowed up by bigger fish. Chapman's Angling recently got bought out by Angling Direct which I consider to be a bad result for us as customers. AD do not appear to have picked up the lines from Chapman's I was always interested in
Strange statement to make, Fishing Republic are one of the big fish who have been buying up other dealers e.g. Stapeley Angling in Crewe. There's only been them and Angling Direct buying up stuff in any quantity. The only other expansion I know of is Nathan's buying Dave Pickering's shop in Burslem, a good move but hardly on the same scale.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Fishing republic email today, headed the 1st day of Christmas,
Buy a F.R gift voucher and get another 10% added for free, ie put on £50 and recieve £55

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing republic email today, headed the 1st day of Christmas,
Buy a F.R gift voucher and get another 10% added for free, ie put on £50 and recieve £55

I got all ecited when i got that ...clicked it and that's all it was...did you feel as disappointed as i did mate?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Strange statement to make, Fishing Republic are one of the big fish who have been buying up other dealers e.g. Stapeley Angling in Crewe. There's only been them and Angling Direct buying up stuff in any quantity. The only other expansion I know of is Nathan's buying Dave Pickering's shop in Burslem, a good move but hardly on the same scale.

Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of Stapeley Angling until now! Likewise you may not have heard of many of my local tackle shops many of which have been closing

Are Fishing Republic opening up stores in towns as well?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I got all ecited when i got that ...clicked it and that's all it was...did you feel as disappointed as i did mate?
Hi mate
We will have to see what they send out for the remaining days, my local FR honestly leaves a lot to be desired, the staff are only interested in carp anglers who they must see as cash cows, as they are easily milked of their cash.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
FR wow day 2 of Christmas email,

Get double loyalty points

Well thats not exactly going to tempt me to splash the cash.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Blimey... a company gives you freebies and yer moaning.... christ give the lads a break will you... they're coming back from the edge of Liquidation FFS given a go

Simon R

Site Supporter
I was hopeful the Fishing Republic link might have perked up the fishing tackle section of my local Go Outdoors and just 'cos I was passing last week I popped in for a look .
Actually appeared to have shrunk since last time I visited (12 months ago?) and it was a fairly sparse and rather haphazard arrangement of, mainly, big carp orientated bait and equipment on the shelves. To the best of my knowledge they've never had any staff in this store who know one end of a fishing rod from the other which probably explains the lack of a logical layout.
Since there's currently no website I don't know how comprehensive the new Fishing Republic will be in terms of the range of gear available but it would be nice to think that some of it might find it's way into stores without a 'proper' fishing tackle section.

Simon

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Simon the Go Oudoors fishing section at the store in Oxford is like a car boot sale, they still have a Maver Thema margin pole for sale at £175 , it's been discontinued for God knows how long, and then it went for £99 in shops, Tackle and accessories are left lying around in there.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Is Stapeley Angling the one that used to be based in Stapeley Water Gardens?

Hi Louis, Apologies but we did not "Buy" Stapely, Stapely went bust and we took on the staff and rent. Yes it is a Fishing Republic store, however ony after Stapely went bust.

I was hopeful the Fishing Republic link might have perked up the fishing tackle section of my local Go Outdoors and just 'cos I was passing last week I popped in for a look .
Actually appeared to have shrunk since last time I visited (12 months ago?) and it was a fairly sparse and rather haphazard arrangement of, mainly, big carp orientated bait and equipment on the shelves. To the best of my knowledge they've never had any staff in this store who know one end of a fishing rod from the other which probably explains the lack of a logical layout.
Since there's currently no website I don't know how comprehensive the new Fishing Republic will be in terms of the range of gear available but it would be nice to think that some of it might find it's way into stores without a 'proper' fishing tackle section.

Simon
Hi Simon,
GO Outdoors still has it's own Fishing Dept seperate from Fishing Republic. Up to yet we are only running the Fishing Republic Stand alone stores i.e. Barnsley, Manchester, Lincoln, Crewe, Birmingham and the Fishign REpublic Concessions within selected GO stores i.e. Doncaster, Gloucester, Sunderland, Cambridge, Sheffield, Manchester Urban Exchange.
GO have their own buying team for fishing that runs all the GO stores that do not have a Fishing Republic concession.
Hope that makes things clearer.

Regards,

Hi mate
We will have to see what they send out for the remaining days, my local FR honestly leaves a lot to be desired, the staff are only interested in carp anglers who they must see as cash cows, as they are easily milked of their cash.
Hi Nutmeg,
Which FR is your local? Some stores do lean towards certain disciplines but that is generally based on past sales.
Rich