Fishing Republic

markthemouse

I got a refund, just email and ask for your money back or wait for delivery. I think they might learn from this and improve. People learn from mistakes. I hope so as they do have good shops.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by JohnTynan

It's fine to give them 5 stars based on your own experience but it's a very narrow view. Even the worst of companies will get some or even most orders right.

If you were to take advantage of the information provided in this thread and still give them 5 stars then I don't think too many people would value your opinion too highly in the future.

Sorry John, but any feedback should be based on the customers own experience and nothing more.
Pretty much like reviewing an item of tackle and basing the review on others opinions, which would render that review worthless IMO.

JohnTynan

Originally posted by Peter

Sorry John, but any feedback should be based on the customers own experience and nothing more.
Pretty much like reviewing an item of tackle and basing the review on others opinions, which would render that review worthless IMO.

You don't have to be sorry to disagree Peter. I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with though.

I didn't mention feedback. Feedback is a person's reaction to a product or service.
You can create an opinion of a product or service based on a much wider view and using much more information.

I could liken it to the support that accused criminals/murderers/rapists often receive because the 'reviewer' has had a good personal experience. They might later learn that they were very wrong in their opinion and that the accused is and was a horrible person. Their feedback based on their own experiences can still only be positive but their opinion using all available information can be very different.

Your review argument is not really what I was talking about. It's generally accepted that a review is based on a person's own experience of a product/service. Just like feedback.

As I said:

It's fine to give them 5 stars based on your own experience but it's a very narrow view. Even the worst of companies will get some or even most orders right.

If you were to take advantage of the information provided in this thread and still give them 5 stars then I don't think too many people would value your opinion too highly in the future.
The first bit was feedback/review. The second bit was opinion.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Feedback reviews are in the main pretty pointless anyway, as the majority of people who respond are only the dissatisfied.
Or in some cases whinge about the pettiest of things.

Most usually are satisfied and just don't see the need.

As for the OP on the review issue,first post and no follow-up.Not even sure they have been affected by any of this.
So their review could be bandwagon or spite.

david white

Site Supporter
There is an old adage in the service / customer relations industry I was taught many years ago

Give good service to 100 customers you may never hear back from them but they may tell your next 100 potential customers of their good experience
Give poor service to 1 customer and you can expect them to tell everyone of their bad experience and many will jump on the initial bandwagon

I reakon that still stands today

matchstickman25

Originally posted by Peter

You don't have to be sorry to disagree Peter. I'm not really sure what you're disagreeing with though.

I didn't mention feedback. Feedback is a person's reaction to a product or service.
You can create an opinion of a product or service based on a much wider view and using much more information.

I could liken it to the support that accused criminals/murderers/rapists often receive because the 'reviewer' has had a good personal experience. They might later learn that they were very wrong in their opinion and that the accused is and was a horrible person. Their feedback based on their own experiences can still only be positive but their opinion using all available information can be very different.

Your review argument is not really what I was talking about. It's generally accepted that a review is based on a person's own experience of a product/service. Just like feedback.

As I said:

The first bit was feedback/review. The second bit was opinion.

I'm sorry but Peter is correct and you didn't make the distinction between a review and overall opinion of a company clear.
In fact your last sentence implies you are criticising him for giving a review of 5 stars. You're right, the experience of others is useful to consider when trying to get an overall opinion of a company, but as Peter says, a review is written based upon your own experience so that others can also obtain an accurate opinion.

I suspect you have some kind of vendetta against FR.

Last edited:

Breac

I can assure you that i do not work for AD or any other tackle company. As i stated in my final post when things had been sorted, i felt like they had almost committed fraud against me. using my money as a short term loan.
it seems from Devonfishers post that they have graduated to actual fraud.

I can also Assure you that i do have a vendetta against them, no one takes me for a ride and expects me to roll over and have my belly tickled.

i can fully understand Dave and Peters position of having to protect their own legal standing and possible sponsorship in the future. But Phoenixicus are you playing devils advocate to keep things tripping along nicely???[}:)]

Last edited:

matchstickman25

What are you going on about Braec? I was replying to John Tynons post.

If you're replying to someone else please use the quote function or this post will just degenerate

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
As a neutral that has not bought from FR I can sympathise with the frustrated.

It is however getting a bit silly now with the accusations of fraud,criminality,theft and needing court actions.
Got to the stage where it's become difficult to distinguish between reality and those just spouting off.

Would the offended be better served constructively informing those also affected what they have actually done and how they have got on?
Not what they are going to do based upon they are sofa qualified lawyers.

Not DA Breac logical and impartial input.

[:T]

Last edited:

matchstickman25

Yeah, I have no opinion on online FR as I've never used them and basing one upon a ranting forum post is a bit biased to say the least.
What I disagree with is the lashing out at other FR customers just because they had a positive experience and gave them five stars when it is the 'right thing to do'.

I hope Donald Trump writes a book of his quotes, they're great.

Last edited:

tedstriker

Site Supporter

why would someones opinion be valued less because they rated a company 5 stars from their own personal experience despite whats happened to others that didn't get that service?

if you had a good experience with a company would you change your rating from a 5 to say 1 because of others experiences but not your own?

JohnTynan

Originally posted by tedstriker

why would someones opinion be valued less because they rated a company 5 stars from their own personal experience despite whats happened to others that didn't get that service?

if you had a good experience with a company would you change your rating from a 5 to say 1 because of others experiences but not your own?

To get extreme you can liken it to the example of a murderer above. If you had a good experience with a murderer would you change your rating from a 5 to say 1 because of victims experiences but not your own?
Your own view is fine but it's a narrow view. Roll a dice and it lands on a 6. That's fine but it's a narrow view. Watch other people rolling a dice and you'll learn that it doesn't always land on a 6.

If you were to create an opinion based on all of the available information and still rate FishingRepublic 5 stars then I certainly wouldn't want you making decisions for me or my business.

Last edited:

JohnTynan

Originally posted by matchstickman25

I'm sorry but Peter is correct and you didn't make the distinction between a review and overall opinion of a company clear.
In fact your last sentence implies you are criticising him for giving a review of 5 stars. You're right, the experience of others is useful to consider when trying to get an overall opinion of a company, but as Peter says, a review is written based upon your own experience so that others can also obtain an accurate opinion.

I suspect you have some kind of vendetta against FR.

Why is everybody so sorry in here?! [:D] There's no need. If it wasn't clear to you what i meant then it should be now.

And you might be disappointed to learn that I've never purchased from FR and as I'm Irish and living in Ireland I've never been in or even near an FR store. Unfortunately your suspicions are totally incorrect.

I don't like to see genuine punters get messed around. I used to be in the business and like I said earlier in the thread, everyone who has had something go wrong will have given Fr the opportunity to put it right before coming here and other places.

Last edited:

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
You don't have all the information though only some of those that have had an issue.
As I posted earlier most "happies" won't bother to comment.

As Peter pointed out the happies who have commented outweigh the disgruntled.

It's like when Clarkson s***s off a car 99% of the public will say best car they have ever driven.

All reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt as agendas can be a motivation.

JohnTynan

Originally posted by Phoenixicus

You don't have all the information though only some of those that have had an issue.
As I posted earlier most "happies" won't bother to comment.

As Peter pointed out the happies who have commented outweigh the disgruntled.

It's like when Clarkson s***s off a car 99% of the public will say best car they have ever driven.

All reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt as agendas can be a motivation.

Equally you get supporters who will refuse to change their views no matter what. Fishing Republic can produce a public apology for their mistakes and supporters will still question those who suffered the mistakes and total breakdown of communications. But you find all sorts!

As I said each to their own. Some people are better at forming opinions than others. And of course nobody has ever said 'You know what I was actually wrong there' on the internet so this thread will probably continue with straw men for a while to come.

tedstriker

Site Supporter

To get extreme you can liken it to the example of a murderer above. If you had a good experience with a murderer would you change your rating from a 5 to say 1 because of victims experiences but not your own?
Your own view is fine but it's a narrow view. Roll a dice and it lands on a 6. That's fine but it's a narrow view. Watch other people rolling a dice and you'll learn that it doesn't always land on a 6.

If you were to create an opinion based on all of the available information and still rate FishingRepublic 5 stars then I certainly wouldn't want you making decisions for me or my business.

do you have all the available information or just from the people on this forum? if you survey 100 people that used FR over the year, not just the issues that occurred with the black friday, then you would get a difference of view and not such a narrow view as you like to put it.

I have used FR once which was 2 years ago to buy a new pole, service was fantastic and would give them 5 stars but i know they have issues same as pretty much every other company and no company is flawless so why would i drop a rating based on personal experience, which afterall is what rating a company is about.

JohnTynan

do you have all the available information or just from the people on this forum? if you survey 100 people that used FR over the year, not just the issues that occurred with the black friday, then you would get a difference of view and not such a narrow view as you like to put it.

I have used FR once which was 2 years ago to buy a new pole, service was fantastic and would give them 5 stars but i know they have issues same as pretty much every other company and no company is flawless so why would i drop a rating based on personal experience, which afterall is what rating a company is about.

What do you mean by do I have all of the available information? Do you mean all of the information, as in information on every sale and every complaint? Of course not. I've never claimed to have. I have information on this thread, I have the information from the FR employees who apologised and I have information from their social media accounts where they also listed a public apology. The same as you.

But you can ignore it all and form your opinion based on your experience of one sale two years ago. That's fine but a narrow view.

I keep repeating myself.

tedstriker

Site Supporter

What do you mean by do I have all of the available information? Do you mean all of the information, as in information on every sale and every complaint? Of course not. I've never claimed to have. I have information on this thread, I have the information from the FR employees who apologised and I have information from their social media accounts where they also listed a public apology. The same as you.

But you can ignore it all and form your opinion based on your experience of one sale two years ago. That's fine but a narrow view.

I keep repeating myself.

you seem to have formed your own opinion and will not see any others, to me that's a narrow view but if you actually read my post i do say that i am aware of their issues but that doesn't change MY personal experience which is what people are saying, if you had a good service from a company would you change your opinion of them because of other people having issues you didnt?

basically you are saying that the opinions of the happy/satisfied people on here, and the majority that do not post on social media/forums do not count because it doesn't conform to your experience