Fishing Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_morton

Hey, I just moved to the UK, more specifically, Ely, Cambridgeshire. I've been fishing in the Great Ouse. I can't seem to find any regulations on keeping the fish. Any ideas where I can get this info?

Thanks

kleinboet

In this country ALL coarse fish (with the possible exception of Zander, but most are returned anyway) are released back into the water.
The only freshwater exceptions are Salmon and Trout, which need a separate licence to catch them anyway!

Cedric

Looks like a few have taken the bait already ! [;)]

This must be a wind-up

Last edited:

norm

Originally posted by dj_morton

Hey, I just moved to the UK, more specifically, Ely, Cambridgeshire. I've been fishing in the Great Ouse. I can't seem to find any regulations on keeping the fish. Any ideas where I can get this info?

Thanks

is this a joke or are you serious?

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Di-Morton,

If you mean takeing fish from your venue [?] [V]
you don't, they are not yours to take.

If you mean keeping them in a keepnet,
as long as you use the standard recognised type and size
and fishing rules allow you to on the venue you fish
then every thing should be ok. [^]

You appear to come across as someone who is new to Angling
if not my apologies, [:I]
I hope you have a current Rod license bad voodoo if you don't
as you will get hammered and definitely wished you had,
finaly do you have permission to fish the waters you visit,
either club member or day ticket holder,
if so then you are not as naive as you appear to make out.

Harry.

Last edited:

wlaw

Hi Dj Morton,

sorry to be so inquisitive, but what country did you live in before the uk?

jbfzoo

Check your bye laws, fish in rivers and (open waters) belong to the person who catches them. Club rules on open waters and rivers are not laws, not even bye laws. The club does not own the fish. You would need to check regional bye laws with regard to size and type of fish that can be taken. Having said that it is an unwritten law that you don't remove or injure any fish intentionally. anglers fishing nearbye who witness fish being injured or taken do tend to administer their own laws.

John[8D]

dj_morton

Well, I'm from the USA...I'm in the Air Force, newly stationed here. In my hometown you can keep what you want, aslong as its over a certain weight/inches. I'm half a Brit (mom is from St Neots), so I have a lot of family here. They also said you could keep the fish. I'm not "new" to angling, just new to UK angling. Fishing is totally different here. On my 1st fishing trip with a friend, we caught a 25 pound pike and a 8 pound zander. UK is definately a much better place to fish!

Thanks again for the help.

hempy

Alan
Originally posted by jbfzoo

fish in rivers and (open waters) belong to the person who catches them.
John[8D]

Are you sure about this ??? I believe the fish belong to the riparean owner.....They are a valuable part of the ecological system and therefore protected by the environment agency. That is why the EA can prosecute a polluter in a fish kill

newies_maggots

keep as in keepnets..

then return after your session.

or game fishing, you can keep what you catch at certain venues

jbfzoo

<Are you sure about this ??? I believe the fish belong to the riparean owner.....They are a valuable part of the ecological system and therefore protected by the environment agency. That is why the EA can prosecute a polluter in a fish kill>

Absolutely sure mate. you can download all bye laws etc and if you are willing to spend some time working your way through them you can find all sorts of strange facts the EAs Midlands fishing guide is well worth reading.

John

Minipeace

Just because you are the owner of the land does not mean that you own the fishing rights. Fishing rights are a legal entity in themselves and can be brought and sold.

Below is an EA guidance to fish theft.

The general position is that no one owns live fish in unenclosed waters. They are regarded as wild animals until reduced into possession, or caught.
Previous case law has decided that:

Where fish are located in rivers, or lakes which are in multiple ownership, then they are not owned by the adjoining landowners and are wild animals;
Where fish are in a lake in single ownership but which has feeder streams or outlets into rivers and lakes owned by others, then they are still wild animals;
The position differs when the fish are in private enclosed ponds or reservoirs in single ownership, and from which they cannot escape. Then they become the property of the landowner.

So reading this John's statement was correct.

hempy

Alan
Thats very interesting....Our Federation reported some jam rolls for fish theft to the police and they said that any complaint had to come from the fish owner, in this case BW...it now seems they were wrong and the JRs were well within their rights

Minipeace

Here is a link Hempy from the NFA website where I took the info from.
http://www.nfadirect.com/page.asp?section=00010001000700040004&pagetitle=EA+Guidance+on+Fish+theft]

Hempy I think you have the right to complain if no fish are allowed as per above link guides to be removed. Can you imagine watching them do it then phoning the police and they say contact the land owners and get them to contact us. I would be mad too[:(!]
If you suspect a crime you are expected to contact the police.

Anglers who are not members and are caught taking fish may be reported to the police for offences against the Theft Act (Schedule 1). Club bailiffs may ask to see an anglers rod licence, upon production of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.