fishing proficiency tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo1977

I fished my local canal yesterday and caught a lot of tench with bottom lips missing,fished a commercial last year and witnessed men and children fishing with line as thick as rope literally dragging fish from water,noticed someone on next peg from me taking a long time to return large carp when i asked what the problem was he was using a very large barbed hook and didnt have either forceps or disgorger (barbed hooks were banned) i dont think these people are intentionally hurting fish,i was lucky enough to be learnt the basics by a good angler,i just wish there was some sort of coaching and test anglers could pass before being able to obtain a licence,i dont know how this could be set up or who would control it or even if it would be viable it just seems a shame fish are being treated this way

n/a14

deleted
A good point raised,.. perhaps the next time your on the bank witnessing similar behaviour by anglers, advise them of where they are going wrong, make them aware of the harm that's being caused, and perhaps give them the address of the MD website, they will learn quickly and easily from this font of knowledge, and encourage them to become more responsible where angling's concerned, and promoting MD at the same time! Job Done

regards Dave ;)

midge99

I have lost count the amount of disgorgers I have given away over the years, I always have about a dozen in my box.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
Great point Polo, I must admit it's amazing how many people don't have disgorgers with them.

I personally would love to see fisheries give a disgorger (preferably a Slammo one) to every paying visitor. Let's face it these help to get the fish returned to the water quickly and in good condition.

It strikes me as madness as although they only cost a matter of pennies, some anglers seem to prefer spending of equipment to catch fish but little on unhooking the fish once they've been caught.

big stoo

hello
silly quetion but whats a slammo disgorger? and why's it better than standard?

bigmick

I was fishing with my 8 year old twin boys on a commercial water last year and one of my boys went talking to a young lad a few pegs away.

He hooked in to little perch and when he landed it my son asked him if he had a disgorger and his reply was....

I dont think I have caught one of them yet, What do they look like.

My son then gave him one of his spare ones.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
Sorry Stoo, a Slammo disgorger is similar to the normal ones, usually made of plastic but rather than be barrel shaped (the only way I can describe the normal ones) the Slammo one has a needle 'eye' on the end but the 'eye' having a gap in it. (Some standard disgorgers are double ended with a Slammo head at one end of it.)

They are in my opinion much better than the standard ones being much easier to use and making it easy to unhook from even greedy little perch.

Hopefully if I've done it right and you click on the link below you'll see what I mean.

http://www.easytackle.com/prodimages/large__18_10_2005_17_40_R1945.jpg

mangrojack

i can remeber the first time i saw a slammo disgorger i thought the diamond end was to attach string to so you could put it round your neck. so i ended up chewing it off and just using the normal side lol.

i never clamed to be bright lol

Status
Not open for further replies.