Fishing pole floats on running line

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Going after some crucians on a club water and will mostly be on the pole but several very ‘crucian holding’ pegs are not pole friendly although I can get in there with a short rod (10’)

Whilst I have a lot of floats I don’t think any will be as good as a couple of pole floats I have in mind.

Does anyone fish pole floats on running line and if so do you tie made up rigs onto the mainline or slide the float onto the mainline and shot it in situ?

Total

Site Supporter
You can rig it up at home and connect on the bank via loop on the rig and connect to the main line via a blood knot....Make sure this knot is below the pole float and above the bulk shot....

Another thing, use at least a 1 gram float or it'll be a pain trying to drop the rig to hand when rebaiting, adjusting the depth etc...(y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use pole floats alot on my 17 / 20 ft rods after cru's and tinca's. Fish them just like a pole and I use centrepins as that gives me more control. I also use an old pole with a cup on to feed directly over the float.
As @Total says use a float heavy enough to be able to pull itself down to your hand.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Was considering using my pin on the 10’ rod - no way I can get in there with anything longer and I love fishing the pin