Fishing over dead or dying lillypads.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Been over the local today for the first time in a while and I've seen the Lillypads have, For the most part died off around the margins. Seen a few carp knocking about in the remaining dying Lillypads and had the idea to get a feeder rod and plonk it dead in the middle of what was the Lillypads.

Just wondering to what extent these Lillypads die? Are the tops only gone or are the stems also gone all the way down? Obviously I don't wanna be getting snagged up.

Cheers

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds a recipe for snagging to me, Lily stems are quite robust things. I’d say a float over the top would be easier.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bait an area just away from the lily pads and wait for the carp to venture onto it.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The rhizomes are the tough bit and can be as thick as your wrist , at this time of year the stems and leaves become soft and stringy as they break down. Use small arsley bomb or similar with a 2 or 3 inch pop up to keep the hook point away from the rhizomes. DONT DRAG THE BAIT.

mikeyF

Fished my local commercial on the 31st Dec, and 3rd Jan on a peg with some dying lilly pads, although on the pole not feeder.

For the most part I was on the edge tempting them out with a bit of ground baiting as Geoff was suggesting above - and it worked well for me - certainly caught more than those fishing open water or to the island.

I did try a short line in the middle of it all, but didn't manage to get anything out - lost one in a snag, and with the wind kept getting blown into the pads and likely caught on the stems. They did give way eventually but I had a couple of moments where I thought I was going to lose the rig.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Been piking with float ledger amongst the dead lilies and hooking into them quite often.

Can pull out easy enough with 66lb powerpro but think you'd struggle if you hooked into them with 6lb maxima.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Tried pole fishing a peg where there are usually lillies on a local lake and ended up getting snagged on the roots all the time.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Thanks fellas, Think I'll just play it safe and continue to fish the edges of the Lillypads.
If not I'll fish a bait where I can bury the hook.