FISHING ON THE RIVER TRENT AROUND NEWARK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYJL1964

Howdoo Peeps,

I am thinking about going down to the Trent to try and catch a few fish.
Years ago (10 years at most) I used to fish Rolleston, Fiskerton, Hazelford Ferry, Burton Joyce, North Muskham and other areas.

Does anyone fish these venues anymore and what are the best methods to use?
My mate has just come back from South Muskham and he said there were shedloads of Carp anglers bucketing the bait in. Now, i'm not averse to doing a bit of that myself but I'd like to target Barbel and Chub using Maggot/Caster/Hemp etc. Would it be worth doing this or should I go down the Pellet/Boilie path?

We used to have some cracking days on the Trent and I'd love to go back and have the same.

Any info would be most appreciated

Regards and Tight Lines

Andy[8D]

I'D RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME THAN A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY
Andy J Lockwood

baz.thornton

Personally I dont think you can beat Kelham Hall for the whiskers and Chub. It is a stretch to the west of Newark and is available on limited day ticket.I think only 5 or 6 people are allowed to fish it every day and your tickets must be booked in advance in writing with : Names and address of all anglers fishing
Date tickets required

from the following address

BRIAN STRAW
32 RUFFORD AVENUE
NEWARK NOTTS
NG244BD
tel : 01636 672 777

I have fished it with mates 4 or 5 times and we have all caught good Barbel/Chub every time , using Hemp/caster on either float or feeder.Pegs towards the bridge are best for barbel , but a little upstream some nice chubby runs can be found

Caught on a Pork Chop on a 22

Last edited:

ken age 63

' Gin & Tonic '
oh happy days,cant help you now, i had a boat called Rum Runner, we was up and down the trent from 1986 till 1998, we ran out of boston, then when we got to the trent,we would spend 6 to 8 weeks up there fishing all the locks,and weirs, some of the best times was when the water board left barges tyed up at the weirs,we would fish under them for barbel and carp best carp 14lb best barbel 11lb 4ozs but lots around the 7 or 8 pound,for the barbel just a single maggot with a swim feeder, and bread for the carp, or luncheon meat for both, so all i can say is if it caught them then why not now?? but it got tricky at the end blozzdy locks got private fishing only,anyway i would get in my tender ,and fish in the middle of the weirs so i was in noman land, but so that i would not upset the private lads ,i fished when thay went home at night,

A river is water in its loveliest form ;;

ken age 63

' Gin & Tonic '
yes ken those were the days, you and i enjoyed the trips up to the trent on our boat, no body could find us and the peace and quiet was wonderful, the lock keepers were good friends to us and we got away with murder. all our family enjoyed the fishing when they came with us, and so did i, the only thing was i would not fish
with you as you would want me to use all the baits you did, but i did prove i was just as good a fisher women as you were and i caught the biggest barbel on sweet corn, mind you i also
tried cherries apples, currants etc, things you
would never have thought of my only secret was i would get up very early in the morning whilst you were still in bed. your crafty wife fay

A river is water in its loveliest form ;;

Status
Not open for further replies.